Saint Vs. SLX

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys and girls, this ones refering to the downhillers, i have a set of shimano SLX's, are these going to be any good for downhill or will i be experiencing alot of brake fade and not enough power (only two pistions)??

I have money for saints, but i dont want to splash the cash before i know that the SLX would become a problem.

cheers and thankx in advance,

castlo

castlo

Likes Dirt
i know at lot of dh brakes r out there, which one is best to other dh riders?

saints, or the avid equivilents?

lawry

Likes Dirt
Hi Mate, have not run slx brakes myself but have run juicy3's, 5's , 7's & codes and now running 09 saints.

no comparison - SAINTS

IMO

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
i have the newer saints on my dh bike and slx's on my trail bike, both with 8'' rotors. personally i would never think about using my slx's for dh. there good for trail riding but dont have the same bite or power the saints give that you need for dh. the saints are in a league of their own and have been the most reliable brakes iv owned. only needed one bleed after a season at whistler. if you ever come here youl notice all the local boys on elixers wont hang their bikes on the lift racks because they have trouble once they want to use them at the top...

castlo

Likes Dirt
cheers

thank guys for the info coming out about these items, seems as though the general theme is saints for downhill.

do the saints work well with other discs aswell, in particular the a2z, teppan yaki sp4??

or does it look like this combo will work?

cheers guys for all the feedback you've put forward, keep it coming

castlo

Big Hit 2008

Likes Dirt
From my experience, SLX works pretty well for DH. They don't have as much power, but can last you for days at thredbo with out overheating

dhd

Downhill Direct
I run SLX with the rotors pictured and they are OK. There are definitely more powerful brakes out there but the SLX seem fine.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I run the saints on the avid g2 cleensweep rotor and a jet black light weigt and they work perfect. I dont realy think the rotors will make a big differance with saints.

I have used the dual piston xts and they dont compare for power, i have also used codes which were better than the xts but still behind on power compared to the saints.

The saints are fairly pricy but im sure that if you buy them you wount have any complaints.

castlo

Likes Dirt
awesome thank you heaps guys, keep it coming, i'm also looking for some discs if not those a2z ones a different brand (not jetblack or hayes) with the curved inside struts to hold teh braking surface out there. any ideas??? also need to be used for downhill

thanks alot again

castlo

castlo

Likes Dirt
rotors

yeah i was thinking about getting them to go with the saints coz i figured they'd best with the saints, and i can get them from tbsm, in one neat package =]], how do these compare up to other rotors in strength and durability?? i want to know all this before i go and put them on my new dh rig.

thanks alot guys for your help and info :)

castlo

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
yeah i was thinking about getting them to go with the saints coz i figured they'd best with the saints, and i can get them from tbsm, in one neat package =]], how do these compare up to other rotors in strength and durability?? i want to know all this before i go and put them on my new dh rig.

thanks alot guys for your help and info :)

castlo
I ran the center lock version with saint brakes all last and never had a problem. They seem to hold up fine for DH use.

castlo

Likes Dirt
another thought

another thought guys and girls, what other discs do people run with the saint brakes and a quick note about how they react and the feel form them? like any pulsating or shuddering?

cheers guys

castlo