Saints V juicy sevens

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
noone seems to have mentioned the near epic price difference. the saints will run you up 325 ish bucks (TBSM) if purchased with rotors and adaptors, to get the same setup as the juicy's.

Still, thats cheaper than the Codes. so if your after downhill i suppose go find out which one you like the feel of better, saints or codes, as the juicy sevens wont stand up to either.

personally, i came from hayes 9's to codes, and it feels like the levers have modulation out the ass. properly bled and tweaked the codes bite hard but have a really good feel to them as well.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
I'm surprised to hear how much people don't like the 7. I've got 7 levers with 5 calipers and going DH, they have enough power to throw me over the bars if i squeeze them enough (and that isn't full pressure). I suppose it's only about 6 months use, but they definitely got the power

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Yeah, a little less juicy hating please. Im the owner of both 5's on my AM bike and 7's on my DH bike with no issues what so ever. Ample power, modulation and pretty light.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Yeah, a little less juicy hating please. Im the owner of both 5's on my AM bike and 7's on my DH bike with no issues what so ever. Ample power, modulation and pretty light.
IMO juicy's are not great. Power is alright, better than hayes and older Shimano stuff, weight is good, lever ergonomics is by far the best, but they are unreliable and get mega brake fade after a day of runs, even under a lighter rider. The performance can get a lot better with non-stock pads though.

That being said, I'll be running juicy on both my bikes this year.

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
Like most people have been saying, Saints. It's a no brainer. I own both, both feel fantastic but the Saints just have that little bit better feels and modulation to them. The power is also rediculous. The only upside to the juicy 7s I can see is maybe for XC/trail styled riding with its adjustable pad contact knob. They aren't bad breaks at all, but the Saints are the best ones money can buy (I think).

Briza

Squid
what have they changed (shimano) did they go back to the 4 piston set up, are they as good as the old 4 piston saints that everyone raves about. I ride 7's and love lever adjustment do they have a slimmer adjustment

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
The old shimano 4 pots predated saint, they were XTs. Both the old XTs and new saint have a similar feel, but the Saints are much more powerful.

Gspot-Sniper

Likes Dirt
saints vs j7's

its all about the lever style for me. im not too keen on the juicy strait lever style so i would be going with the saints that also go's with the good reports you have heard and is the safe option.

cheers

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
Just installed a set of the new Shimano Saint brakes on my own personal bike and i can positively say that they are the best brake I have used.

They have great modulation, great lever feel, better more comfortable lever than the older saint brakes and the power is far beyond any other brake I have ridden.

I have had no experience with Avid Codes so do not know how they compare.

As for the Avid Juicy 7 I have found that they very good for value, they have good modulation, good power however as other have stated can fade quite quick and are very inconsistent.

If budget is a concern I would still recommend the Avid Juicy 7 or older model Shimano Saint. However if money is no objective I would highly recommend the new Shimano saint brake.

JaylikesDH

Likes Dirt
A question about the saints, I seen in the lastest copy of Australian Mountain Bike mag that Jarod Rando is running them on that development Giant with 6 inch rotors on the rear, does anyone else run them on a 6 inch rotor? How do they feel? Are they just that powerful that you can afford to run them on a 6 inch?

S.

ex offender
A question about the saints, I seen in the lastest copy of Australian Mountain Bike mag that Jarod Rando is running them on that development Giant with 6 inch rotors on the rear, does anyone else run them on a 6 inch rotor? How do they feel? Are they just that powerful that you can afford to run them on a 6 inch?
You can, and it saves about 100g over a 203mm rotor, but why would you? In real terms what it means is less power and more tendency to overheat. If you're Jared Rando, meaning reasonably light as well as ridiculously skillful and able to avoid ever dragging the brakes, then yes you can get away with it. The average person who runs 6" rotors on the rear of their bike (with any brake), in my experience, never has brakes that work as they could or should.

sea monkey

Likes Bikes
saints

I say saints but depends on what your doing...

Im getting new brakes this week and I need to know wether to get juicy sevens or saints? Ive heard nothing but great reviews about the saints but i think I might have heard something about needing saint wheels or something to fit them???

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
Hey mate i purchased some avid elexirs ofr my glorys custom build and they feel so great.Best modulation.With my old brakes i was always sliding the rear but the elixir leavbes the rear skinding when i really pull the brakes on.But they still work amazing.I strongly recommend them!