Salsa Spearfish ?

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Su-si-day, sox-a-bi (Hi, how are you ? in Khmer)

I am in Cambodia at the moment, and have been thinking about another bike for when I get back to Aus.

I am looking to get a Salsa Spearfish. An HT is out, my back would hate me (riding a 26" HT over here now and I tolerate it 'cause I have to), I like the concept of the simpler rear suspension, albeit I understand you suffer a lack of small bump compliance because of it.

I had a Specalized Epic 29" duallie, hated it and managed to sell it fairly quickly with nearly no loss but never enjoyed riding it.

I am looking at doing a few longer rides, lots of firetrail, 4wd road etc. I have my own single track, on my own land to enjoy single track with my 26" Santa Cruz Blur LT

I am 185cm, and a bigger bloke, mid 40's. I am never going to be a 24hr god nor do I want to but am hoping to up the fitness levels with longer 50km+ rides and maybe some overnight rides.

I will never have the chance to test ride anything so have no real choice but to buy sight unseen.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hi Trevor

You are a big bloke in you mid 40s looking for something light/ efficient and comfortable to ride on long rides and disliked a Spec 29er. You have a SC Blur LT for the fun playful stuff which can do everything you would want. You would probably agree a HT 29er would be perfect but worry about your back. You sure with some conditioning, hours in the saddle and correct setup you couldnt do a HT - be great for your needs. I purchased a Thudbuster for some hardtail loving and it worked a treat. Not trying to talk you out of FS mate but you have one of them and a great steel framed HT 29er set up for long hauls would be the perfect rig for your requirements. The secret for HT riding is to get out of the saddle (something not so important on FS) and to improve your core muscles (over 40s).
Perhaps a Spearfish would work fine for you - I havent ridden one but I also intrigued and like the idea of minimal softtail like suspension but I cant do pivotless suspension - too big (6.5 and 100kgs). I would differently suggest you test ride a Spearfish before you buy. Contact Dirtworks to see if there is a demo somewhere in the country that can be sent to your local.
If you were really brave i would suggest a Singular Gryphon or similar drop bar 29er with racks. Otherwise I would go a steel 29er Ht like the one below with a thudbuster and Freeload rack till you get your HT crops. I have a Thudbuster that you could borrow to see what you think. I have a Ti post that is enough for me now but initially HTing after 15 years on FS was a pain
Good luck
JD

Attachments

I have 2 29ers. A Niner Sir9 and the Spearfish. Both are great for their purpose. I'm 6'1" at 85kg and the XL Spearfish with a short 70mm stem is comfortable with a quick steering response.

My Spearfish is my enduro racer, as its so much more comfortable for 6 to 24hr solo events. The Hardtail is good, but as ststed above, you need to be out of the saddle a lot. I've found the 80mm to be just right. I upgraded the the rear shock to the Fox RP23 and run it firm so the bike handles well. A flick of the switch and its active and plush for downhill runs. The Spearfish also has minimal bearing pivots so upkeep on those is easier than 6 to 8 on many full suspension rigs.

Flicking the stem over and putting some spacers under it give a good upright trail ride position as well. A very underated bike.