Sam Hill - was he racing while asleep

yaak

Squid
I'm sure i'm not the only one who's a bit dazed and confused as to sams canberra effort. did he have a DNF or bad crash? couldn't see his result except for the qualiffying.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I'm sure i'm not the only one who's a bit dazed and confused as to sams canberra effort. did he have a DNF or bad crash? couldn't see his result except for the qualiffying.
he came 11th didnt he????

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
If you know anything about sam then you know stromlo isn't a sam track.
thats true.
he aint tops on a peddly track

although i have never been to stromlo, from the video the track didnt look to steep.
why dont they hold a world cup round at thredbo or buller or someplace like that? that would be killer

CRIK

NSWMTB
Obviously every one knows Sam hates Stromlo but we were there all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and watched most of the DH practice. We saw Sam do a total of 5 practice runs all up! But we saw the likes of Rennie and Rando sectioning the track to get it dialled. Maybe could have something to do with it?

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a great man once said (Patto lol), canberra is not a sam track. he wins because he can keep his speed thats why he hates canberra because he's so small compared to the likes of rennie and peaty.

IMO I think sam is the most "Skilled Rider" in the world, but i dont think he has the full criteria to be succsessful on all types of tracks.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Meh My mate raves on about Sam Hill. I wasn't overly impressed by his riding at Stromlo... GO CEDRIC
Obviously you can punch out everything at Stromlo....why weren't you racing then?

Obviously every one knows Sam hates Stromlo but we were there all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and watched most of the DH practice. We saw Sam do a total of 5 practice runs all up! But we saw the likes of Rennie and Rando sectioning the track to get it dialled. Maybe could have something to do with it?
He did double that, that I saw, on Friday and Saturday. But have you ever heard of saving energy for racing? All the Aussies have raced the track, and practised on it before, there's no surprises. The OS contingent haven't however. Read what "others" have posted in the other threads about Stromlo and you'll read the same thing.:cool:

goatman

Likes Dirt
I am a big Sam Hill fan like most but am wondering what his strategy will be for the Worlds next year?

Surely with the correct training he could improve his peddaling to the point where he could make up the 8 secs? This would improve his results at other more pedally tracks also. Obviously he has the technical skills down pat with his obvious weakness being pedalling.

It seems as if he has a bit of a 'head trip' about flat tracks which really won't help his cause next year. Rather than barring Stromlo like his did at this years Nats, you would think he would now be itching to have another crack at it next Jan, being the competitive person that he is.

Otherwise it's a bit like Kelly Slater saying he hates small surf and won't compete in it. Kelly has won 8 world titles by being competive in all conditions!

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sam never does more than that, anywhere. He knows this track, too. So, no I don't think it was that.
I've never seen him ride live, but from videos one thing is clear. He's super fast over rough, steep terrain. Insanely smooth (like Vouilloz was) and no-one can touch him there.
He's not as fast where lots of pedaling is required. Stromlo seems to fit that bill. It's his 'weakness', but some would argue Stromlo isn't a good DH course, too flat, pedally and not technical enough (not my opinio, I don;t know the course).
I'd say that's why he was 11th, and that's why Minaar might well beat him overall (more versatile and all-round rider, I believe).

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it interesting that Sam struggles on peddaly tracks, well at least that is the impression I get. He comes from WA where as far as i know there are bugger all hills (no pun intended), so logically shouldn't he be able to crank it the whole way down?

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
thats true.
he aint tops on a peddly track

although i have never been to stromlo, from the video the track didnt look to steep.
why dont they hold a world cup round at thredbo or buller or someplace like that? that would be killer
Because They are both out of a 2 hour drive from the nearest international airport.

Brent

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I am a big Sam Hill fan like most but am wondering what his strategy will be for the Worlds next year?

Surely with the correct training he could improve his peddaling to the point where he could make up the 8 secs? This would improve his results at other more pedally tracks also. Obviously he has the technical skills down pat with his obvious weakness being pedalling.

It seems as if he has a bit of a 'head trip' about flat tracks which really won't help his cause next year. Rather than barring Stromlo like his did at this years Nats, you would think he would now be itching to have another crack at it next Jan, being the competitive person that he is.

Otherwise it's a bit like Kelly Slater saying he hates small surf and won't compete in it. Kelly has won 8 world titles by being competive in all conditions!
Guys and girls, please read what people have posted in other threads, people that know him and talk/interviewed him, and got the very answers you are looking for.

On the Kelly note, he grew up surfing Huntington Beach......that's small. Everything else to him is a bonus. Kelly also has ALOT more to loose in the way of $$$$ to not surf a contest. Oh, and another thing, if the waves are crap, they move the event or postpone. The top pros don't surf in shit anymore!

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
I think Hill needs to get out and do some road sprints on his DH bike.

Anyway, some time between now and World Champs next year there will be a major shift under the ground at Mt. Stromlo, which will then make the hill 8 times higher and perfectly suit Sam Hill which then means he will be World Champ again.

Last edited:

goatman

Likes Dirt
On the Kelly note, he grew up surfing Huntington Beach......that's small. Everything else to him is a bonus. Kelly also has ALOT more to loose in the way of $$$$ to not surf a contest. Oh, and another thing, if the waves are crap, they move the event or postpone. The top pros don't surf in shit anymore!
Ahh, he actually grew up in Florida (even smaller), likewise Sam didn't grow up in France. Also Kelly won the first few titles when the tour was held in crap.

Anyway the point of my analogy is that if you want to be the best at ANY sport you have to work on your weaknesses. Maybe being World Champ in 09 is no longer a priority for Sam, but I doubt it!

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
im a big sam hill fan as well and i think he is one of the most talented riders on technical stuff. all i wanna know is did he give it his all? did he put enough work into it to win or did he just not want to try so much because he doesn't like the track?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ahh, he actually grew up in Florida
Ah yes, I stand corrected. Huntington is on my mind being there just a few weeks ago.
Anyway the point of my analogy is that if you want to be the best at ANY sport you have to work on your weaknesses. Maybe being World Champ in 09 is no longer a priority for Sam, but I doubt it!
Point taken.:D

Cause I dont want sam Hill to be In 12th spot when I take 1st:p
If that's the case, I would have had a shithot piccy of you in the winners circle holding up a beer while the crowd cheered!!! ;-)

Linus

Squid
im a big sam hill fan as well and i think he is one of the most talented riders on technical stuff. all i wanna know is did he give it his all? did he put enough work into it to win or did he just not want to try so much because he doesn't like the track?
As if he would'nt put in maximum effort, its the WORLD CUP!!
The reason he didn't go great, as stated by other people here, is that the end of the stromlo track is dissapointingly flat. Sam isnt great in pedaly tracks, unlike Rennie and Minaar.