Sanding Disc Brake Pads

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hey all,

Just wodnering if there is any specific sandpaper (fine or coarse or in between)that I should use to sand the pads on my armor disc brakes.

Cheers

Adin :).

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i heard that if u take the pads out and rub them really fast on a brick
and
i heard if u put them in the oven for half an house (which dries the oil out) then give them a good sanding.
i would use just normal light wood sanding sandpaper, nothing too rough..

Ryan

Radministrator
Don't burn / bake / heat / etc disc brake pads. Do it enough to a set and the pad material will de-bond from the backing, pull off an leave you utterly brakeless, usually at a very inconvenient moment.

This isn't some urban legend, it's happened to me and the results weren't pretty.

SausaGe_LiNk

Likes Dirt
_q_ said:
i heard if u put them in the oven for half an house
lol half a house :D
My mate did the same thing with his dice Whiplash Hydros and he just sanded em with normal stuff... nothing special.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
the pavement/gutter works fast. Dodgy but hey- If you wanna sand you pads your already dodgy.

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
i found jeating em up with a match a little just enought to burn off most of the oil or contamination, and then to sand it i use a wood raspe like a file bit with metter points used on wood surfaces, it usually scores the pads up good and thats the best way ive used...though ussually once a pad is contaminated, its hit or miss if u can bring them back as it doesnt work every time, thats my way of choice these days!

BenM

Likes Bikes
If you want to remove oil/brake fluid contaminantion do it the proper way. Buy some "BrakeKleen" - comes in a spray can for about $14 from repco or similar quality auto places (i.e. probably not supercheap). It is specially made for removing oil and brakefluid contamination from brake pads. One spray can will last for ages.

BenM

Likes Bikes
YUP - It removes oil, grease and brake fluid from ALL brake components - it is even specially made so it won't damage rubber seals.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Adin, anything coarser than about an 80 grit will be too rough. I suggest a 120 or higher. (the lower the number the coarser the grit).

Lay the sandpaper down on a PERFECTLT flat surface (bench top, glass table etc) hold the pad with the brake material facing DOWN and then rub the pad on the paper rather than the paper on the pad. This way will hopefully keep the pad even.

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SausaGe_LiNk said:
_q_ said:
i heard if u put them in the oven for half an house
lol half a house :D
My mate did the same thing with his dice Whiplash Hydros and he just sanded em with normal stuff... nothing special.
heeeyyy, i only just realised that!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: thats a crack up!!!
it ment half an hour!!! yay, i spelt it right this time!
why isn't there spell check on farkin?

wombat

Lives in a hole
ruthlessgirl said:
i used to use emery boards (aka nail files) but then again I'm a girl and have those around my house...
I wouldn't suggest that; good way to wear out your emery boards prematurely, and I reckon all but a brand new one would be too fine.

(oh god, listen to me....)

Tankass

Likes Dirt
ok.i have been using a even cheaper method.use dish washing detergent.yes.u never see wrongly wat i type.
i been using this method for my disc brakes if they are contaminated.wash the brake pads and rotors.use a tooth brush or some disc washing sponge.they should work!.
and adin,if u are expecting to sand/file ur pads so that they would brake in faster,i would suggest u not.use it under normal conditions,let them break in by themselves.so the wear would be more even.did i mention "pads"?
i mean ..brake pads.

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
dunno if you guys get this down there but the PhStuff Disc Doctor is really good for getting sh!t off brakes as well