Santa Cruz Bronson/Nomad, Trek Slash, or Something else ?

heavyp

You heard it here first
Rightio I'm in the market for a new bike, and after having a word with myself I have come to the conclusion that I should buy something a bit more sensible something with 5-6 inches of travel so I can still do as much downhill as possible but still ride back to the top and also go for reasonable length rides.

I would love a Bronson, I also don't mind the look of the Trek Slash but just trying to see what else is out there. You may think I'm all mad but I am set on running the new Rockshox Pike on whatever I decide on.

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what else is out there to fit the bill.

Im 6' 2"-3" and the wrong side of 100kg's.

oriion

Likes Dirt
I just ordered a Banshee Spitfire to run in 27.5 with a 150mm Pike as well, and I am roughly the same height/weight as you.

Worth a look, and have something unique.

FWIW - i test rode a Bronson a few months ago in the states, and It was beautiful, so much so i ordered one on the spot. Sadly somehow the bike got lost on the way over, so i was given a refund, and decided to just get something in the country.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
My mates Bronson is a very special bike. Another mate has an Alu nomad, also very nice, but comparing the 2 wouldn't be fair. I'd be very happy on either....but being a pigheaded man, wanting 26", nomad please. In every other way, Bronson please.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Specialized Enduro.

Comes with pike. 26" kicks arse. 29" kicks arse.... Either way. They are awesome. Absolute fan of both.

Incredibly short chain stays. Low BB and the head angle on th 26" is just about the slackest in class.

I went through this a few months go. The Bronson is awesome. But the spec on the specialized sealed the deal for me. The Cane creek rear shock is the bomb.

I pedal mine for about 50km at a time. And they rip on the descents.

Given the price of that Bronson above with enve rims, an SWorks would be in that price range. The carbon rims spin up well and are nicely stiff.

My 2c.

*Edit*

BTW... I have a 2013 spicy and ride that heaps. No cracks, no issues. When the day comes the Spesh is done in my garage I reckon a Zesty is on the shopping list.

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
2014 Norco Sight Killer B 7.1 - FYI you cant get the top of the range LE FS model in Oz
Just ordered one,Due in November - $6399.00
Test ratings are off the chart

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heard to many stories of Lapierres cracking across all models (Ah sorry wrote before I had a look, true I forgot about the new 2014 Lapierres they do look nice!)

Ive just seen a few others that have just thrown a spanner in the works.

Devinci Troy, Norco and even the new Marin's
Got one in the shop right now, an XR carbon thats cracked around the seat collar. Distributed by Advanced Traders, which have one of the easiest warranty process to deal with.

New Norco's look awesome. Pity Advanced in only bringing in a select few models. Wish they brought in the top LE FS as mentioned before.

ldodd

Squid
I have just ridden my new Ibis mojo HD for the first time yesterday . Absolutely awesome bike, pedals better than my pivot 5.7. I have set it up with a Fox float 34 160mm fork, 1x10, raceface cranks and 34t chainring, 12-36 cog, enve bar, weighs 12.5kg. I believe it may be the best all purpose bike, combines all the good things of downhill bike and all the good things of X-ctry bike. You can adjust travel from 140-160mm, and fit forks up to 180mm.

heavyp

You heard it here first
cheers everyone def still stuck on what to try and buy thou, Santa Cruz is top of the list so far

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I ride a nomad and love it. It covers everything. It climbs relatively well, descends like a demon but most of all is genuinely fun to ride. It rewards aggressive riding-if you don't push the bike it feels relatively dead. But throw it deep into a corner and it rails lines and comes out asking for more. I recently got asked by my mates "how were you having so much fun on that section" having been blasting through a particularly messy section of roots and rocks.

The frame is quite versatile, can be set up for everything from burly XC up to medium-downill duty. Basically it is pretty hard to fault. But my overall description is that it is a bike that is damn good fun to ride.

minhbo

Likes Bikes
What about a Giant Trance Adanced 27.5 1?

They can be had for about $4400 at the moment. Carbon, full XT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
The new Kona process 135 and 153 dls are getting rave reviews too. not that I am trying to complicate things by chucking in more bikes.

my02

Likes Dirt
You're near as damn it the same dimensions as me so if you're near Sydney and want to try a Mojo HD you're welcome to take mine for a spin.

Re the Slash, I have ridden one, but I did own a 2011 Remedy which was a great bike but the DRCV shock wasn't keeping up with what I wanted. You can swap it out for a coil or something like a CCDBA if you're motivated but it seems like a bit of a faff when you can get a bike tuned for a specific shock nowadays. I also recall the Slash is a little heavy for a 160mm travel bike.

Have you also considered the new Pivot Mach 6?

mint355

Likes Dirt
cheers everyone def still stuck on what to try and buy thou, Santa Cruz is top of the list so far
You definitely won't be disappointed with a Bronson. The new VPP design pedals so well and the pikes are awesome as well here is mine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379637567.531586.jpg

niksta

Likes Bikes
Go Santa Cruz either the Bronson or Nomad.
As others have said the Nomad needs an aggressive style to get the best from it.