Santa Cruz Bronson

Flint

Likes Dirt
Hello all,
I need a bit of help. I am going build up a Bronson 650B and I am having issues deciding what size frame to get. I am 167cm tall (5' 5.7", so just under 5'6"). The Santa Cruz website cut-off for small to medium is 5'5". So I fit into the medium range. From what I have read Santa Cruz frames are on smaller side anyway but the Bronson is a bit longer than most other models. Given how expensive this frame is I cant really afford to get it wrong, this bike is going to cost me around $4.5K to build so it will be my last bike for at least 4 years.

So I am after any advice based on experience with this frame, will the medium be fine? If its a bit long I can get a shorter stem. Or should I just go for the small?

I will measure my in-seam and check stand-over height (Medium Bronson: 28.8") as well but I can stand over a medium Giant Reign (31.9") fine so I don't expect it to be an issue

Sadly test riding one is not an option. I am not a gun rider so "flickability" is not really a concern, I prefer stability for jumps.

Other info is the medium is in stock now, the small is not. Having said that it will not influence my decision as I want the right size, not the currently in stock size (so why did I mention it?, good question...). I wont have all the parts to build it before the end of January anyway. I am swinging towards the medium.

Currently riding:

Small Giant Trance 29'er (will sell)
Medium Kona Operator (keeping for DH)

Cheers

niksta

Likes Bikes
Santa Cruz sizing

Hey as you said the Santa Cruz sizing is small if you are inbetween
go the larger frame size.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The small Bronson has a shorter TT than your Trance.

Considering you're already using a long stem on your Trance, I would think the Medium Bronson would be a more appropriate size.

It's best to get a sit on one if you can.

Flint

Likes Dirt
The small Bronson has a shorter TT than your Trance.

Considering you're already using a long stem on your Trance, I would think the Medium Bronson would be a more appropriate size.

It's best to get a sit on one if you can.
I was just comparing the TT length's as well and the medium Bronson is only 15mm longer than the small Trance, I'll be using a 50 - 70 mm stem on the Bronson so looks like a medium is the go.

I'd love to sit on one. Actually I am going to Thredbo on Sunday, I'll keep my eye out for some Bronsons.

Thanks.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am not a gun rider so "flickability" is not really a concern, I prefer stability for jumps.
I think that answers your question. If you do not want a bike to be more agile, go the Medium size.

Personally I like a bike to be chuckable more and I'd go the Small (I'm 171cm) but if you wanted more stability go the bigger size and thats the Medium for you.

If at ALL possible get a ride though - before I bought my Medium Bullit back in 2004 I had a ride of a Large size and knew dead on the size for me was Medium. As you say you are not in a big rush, so managing a ride before you buy could very well save you a HUGE and/or expensive heartache.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Hi flint I own a large Bronson. I'm 181cm tall so I'm between med/large, go for the medium with a short stem(50mm). My wife is 168cm has a medium TRc

haritone

Likes Dirt
I'm 6' 1-1/2" so just on the crossover of L and XL.
I probably could have gotten away with a L, but went the XL as I'd rather have length in the TT and run a shorter (in my case 50mm) stem.

I'm interested to know why you are choosing the bronson over any of the other santa cruz models.

Not being judgemental, just like to gain a better understanding in case I ever get in a position for a newie (I like the look of all the Santa Cruz models)

Flint

Likes Dirt
I'm interested to know why you are choosing the bronson over any of the other santa cruz models.

Not being judgemental, just like to gain a better understanding in case I ever get in a position for a newie (I like the look of all the Santa Cruz models)
Its the only long travel 650B model with VPP suspension. VPP is said to be better for pedalling and since I ride up mountains like MT Stromlo in Canberra I want a bike that can be pedalled up without me dropping dead from exhaustion and be huge fun on the way back down.

My current bikes:

Trance 29'er is awesome to ride up but not so good for the decent.
Kona Operator is awesome on the DH track but riding it up is not an option, I rode its predecessor (Kona Entourage) up twice and it nearly killed me both times.

Sadly the Canberra MTB club do not hold shuttle days often, only 2 this year so far :( so I am reliant on my own power to get up there. I do the odd push run on the DH bike and get friends to drop me up there occasionally but I don't have a circle of friends that are into DH for shuttling.

So I am looking for the best "All rounder" I can find and the Bronson fits that description. I didn't specifically want a Santa Cruz bike, there were other great options from Norco, Trek and Giant but I think the Bronson is the pick of the bunch for the 650B all mountain range right now. Also I wanted to build a bike this time around so that way I'll have nothing to replace or upgrade.

Why 650B / 27.5"? I have tried 26" and 29" so I figured if I was getting a new bike I'd try the new wheel size. I do like 29" but its not really suited to "All mountain" riding. I have taken my 29'er down the back of Stromlo a few times and while it was OK I felt to high and I want a slacker head angle for that style of riding. I want a bike I can jump and not feel to much different to my DH bike. Also being short the 29" wheels just seem to big for me, the small frame on the Trance has some issues with the big wheels. I cant use a saddle bag as it rubs on the back wheel, there are no bottle mounts as the frame is to compact to fit a bottle (the medium has them) and the front wheel rubs on the down tube when I brake and the suspension is compressed.

Also considering entering in a few Enduro / SuperD races next year.

Other SC models:

The Bantam is close but its single pivot and only 125mm of travel

The 5010 is closer as its VPP but still only 125mm of travel.

The Heckler is closer again but its single pivot.

The Nomad looks great but its 26"

Cheers

Last edited:

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just reading your bike requirements, I'd like to suggest a banshee spitfire or rune.
I was recently in the same position, looking for the same style of bike.
Actually looking at the Bronson (close to what I ride currently), and it was suggested that I test ride the banshee. The test ride has changed my mind, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the spitfire (140mm).

Really supple and small bump sensitive yet very controlled on the bigger hits. Really low and slack geometry as well so handles like on rails. Definitely worth considering if your mind isn't made up.

Just my 2C.

Cheers flint.

I guess you can't really know what you want untill you have a lot of experience, then again if you don't you probably don't know what your missing out on (unless you take someone else's bike for a fang).

I thought my heckler was a XC, apprently its Am, what a bike tard I am.

Flint

Likes Dirt
Just reading your bike requirements, I'd like to suggest a banshee spitfire or rune.
I was recently in the same position, looking for the same style of bike.
Actually looking at the Bronson (close to what I ride currently), and it was suggested that I test ride the banshee. The test ride has changed my mind, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the spitfire (140mm).

Really supple and small bump sensitive yet very controlled on the bigger hits. Really low and slack geometry as well so handles like on rails. Definitely worth considering if your mind isn't made up.

Just my 2C.
GAH! Stop that :doh: Both great bikes, well priced frame only options as well.....

Flint

Likes Dirt
Well it arrived today :Banane03:

All other parts are either on the way or already arrived with the exception being the pikes. Fingers crossed CRC get their shipment as expected next week and I get a set. I'd imagine there are more than a few people waiting on those 650B pikes :)

Cheers for the advice on sizing, I went for the medium.

Attachments

I've decided I like my bike to be in Dm coz Am remids me too much of stairway to heaven. Gm would be good too, kinda have that santana feel.

Anyway how come the decision to build one up ? I'd imagine there aint a cost saving, its purley for customisation ?

The standard rigs outta the box aren't crapola are they ?

Also I'd be interested in the whole SP n VPP ok?