santa cruz bullitt headtube vs 888 crowns

mr ufo

UFO MTB Imports
The long headtubes on most santa cruz frames create problems for 888 owners , me included. I am running aireal flat crowns and they are right at the limit for adjustment. Does anybody have a solution ? I am running a Da bomb headset with a 30mm stack height . Short of shaving down the headtube , has anybody else had this problem ??

mr ufo

UFO MTB Imports
Suppose i could put the M drop crown back on but i would rather run upper and lower aireal crowns. What do you think of shaving the headtube ??

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mr santacruz said:
Suppose i could put the M drop crown back on but i would rather run upper and lower aireal crowns. What do you think of shaving the headtube ??
the headtube is probably the length it is for a reason, and why would you modify your frame when you could just put the drop crown on top?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I wouldn't shave my head tube myself. Also, if you shave it you may need to have it reemed further to fit the headset.

Maybe drop aireal an email and ask them to make you an aireal drop crown.

Personally I would just put the stock one back on and ride it ;)

mr ufo

UFO MTB Imports
Right you are cave dweller , I just seemed to go faster with the gold aireal crown though !

scblack

Leucocholic
mr santacruz said:
Right you are cave dweller , I just seemed to go faster with the gold aireal crown though !
'Tis true though - the better colour will make you faster! ;)

Gripo

Eats Squid
my vpfree's

on my medium vpfree i can run aireal top & bottom
on my large vpfree i have to run the aireal lower with marz upper crown

just facts of life i guess