Santa Cruz, Nomad/ Blur LT Vs Yeti, ASR 7/ 575

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Thats really what i am leaning towards at the moment. There's not much i dont like about it at all.

The only issue is i am really curious about the VPP stuff, but i am also convinced that if the boys at Yeti have done their jobs properly it should perform as they say it should. I reckon one of those with a dropper post and TALAS would pretty well see me right for several years.

I am thinking this will sit somewhere between the Nomad and 575 weight wise, with similar capabilities as the nomad.

BT180

Max Pfaff
You'll be more than happy with either one I reckon. You can't really go wrong. I've always been a fan of SC, but the ASR7 could sway me.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I think so, it would be a lot more versatile than my Bottlerocket which would be sold off along with my DJ Hardtail to get this thing on the trails.

Would like to at least take both on a bit of a test ride to see how they fit etc...

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
575 here and very happy with it's all-mountain capability.

I've also got a Scott Scale 20 and while it accelerates quicker, I could go all day on the Yeti.

I love my Yeti!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am thinking this will sit somewhere between the Nomad and 575 weight wise, with similar capabilities as the nomad.
Except the Nomad's rear suspension will still work when braking.

I haven't ridden a 575. My mate has one and likes it. He has said he had to relearn his rear braking technique because the rear stiffens up under brakes. It's a very nice looking bike though.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Are you guys saying that they’re actually made by Giant, in the same factory or just that they are made in Taiwan as Giant are, but in a different SC factory? That's two pretty different things.
Yes they're actually made in the giant factory as are alot of frames for other brands.
Merida are also another major player in taiwan, they also make many different frames for different companys.
There was a list of who gets where made a while back but haven't been able to track it down.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Except the Nomad's rear suspension will still work when braking.

I haven't ridden a 575. My mate has one and likes it. He has said he had to relearn his rear braking technique because the rear stiffens up under brakes. It's a very nice looking bike though.

True, true. This is the way my current bikes work so i am not foreign to the idea, but it would be nice to try.

Going to try and find one around here to take for a spin.

Maybe bikeworx at Erina have one other wise its to CBD as they have Neezy's demo nomad i believe, plus they do yeti so they may have a seven in there too...

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the link it is a good read.

Shame the only ones i was realy interested in of all mentioned there was the 575 and it was certainly enough to have me thinking the other way about that one.

The review of the remedy sounds great, i wont ever have the $$ straight up for one of those however.

Wish there was a review of the asr 7 though.

smeck

Likes Dirt
The August issue of 'Revolution' has a review of the new Nomad. It's somewhat glowing and I can't vouch for its objectiveness, but atleast it attempts to compare the older model to the new.

The older model I have ridden and its a great bike. My brother and I raced each other on a few +40km point to point races, me on an 07 Blur LT with a 3kg advantage, him on an 06 Nomad. I out climbed him and held slightly faster times on the flat, he unleashed an unholy blitzkrieg on me on the downhill sections, each time I beat him though. I guess my point is the Nomad is more than capable of Enduro races if you're not riding for the podium and keep the build lightish. The Blur LT is better for enduro rides but by the same token if you only ride up the hill to roar back down then the Nomad is more suitable. I prefer the more technical aspects of riding, getting up over the ledges and around the steep and loose corners so the Blur LT is my weapon of choice. Either way they are class acts, and if you're prepared to look after them they will outlive any Giant regardless of where they're made. Yeti bikes I can't profess to know (though I nearly bought a 575 myself before scoring the BLur LT), but SC will definitely make you smile if you go that way. VPP is worth the money as well, while a good rider can make any bike sing I need all the help I can get. Vive la technologie

Can't go wrong with SC

I have a brand new SC Nomad for sale. Med frame with the 2009 SC Build kit. An amazing bike ! I am considering selling in parts, but ideally would love to sell whole thing.
If any of there parts interest you, let me know.

Fox Float RC2 36 forks
DHX Air rear suspension
Elixir CR brakes
SLX crank
Sram X-9 rear derailer
Scram X-9 shifters
XT front derailer
XT clipless peddles

I have been on a SC superlight for about 3 years, and have no complaints about this bike. I have heard allot of buzz about the new superlight, and may be worth checking out.
Although, if you are looking for a much more serious bike, the Nomad is an excellent option.
The SC Blur is a step down from the Nomad, and in my opinion a very similar bike to the superlight, all depends on what type of riding your going to be doing.

The Trek bikes are really nice, but for a serious XC bike, your looking at the Trek Fuel EX 9.9, which is a carbon frame. An amazing ride, but have heard of some troubles with the frame.

Good luck with your search, it's always a hard choice when there are so many bikes to choose from.