Santa Cruz Tallboy LTa & LTc - 135mm carbon/alloy trail 29er

Jubas

Likes Dirt
So I'm surprised no one seems to have commented on this bike being released. It's certainly got me interested to try one out - i'm not sure whether I could replace the Anthem 29er with it given that i'm trying to do a few more endurance races these days, but damn, it looks like a fun bike to ride!

Santa-Cruz-Tallboy-LTc-29er-trail-mountain-bike01.jpg

Two versions: Aluminium (LTa) and Carbon (LTc)

LTa:
The Tallboy LTa with R/AM (mostly XT, Elixir 5 & Shimano hubs) build will run $3,199 and SPX/AM (more XT, including brakes, Easton cockpit & DT hubs) for $4,299 respectively, so you’re looking at about a $1,000 to $1,200 premium for the carbon frame. (US prices)

LTc:
The Tallboy LTc with R/AM (mostly XT, Elixir 5 & Shimano hubs) build will run $4,399 and SPX/AM (more XT, including brakes, Easton cockpit & DT hubs) for $5,299. (In the US)
The size medium frame with shock came in at 5lbs 4oz painted. Claimed weight is 5.3lbs for a large with RP23 shock

More details, pictures, videos at these links:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/santa-cruz-tallboy-ltc-first-look-ride-33591/
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/01/santa-cruz-tallboy-lt-new-135mm-travel-carbon-alloy-29ers/

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I lke it

be great to see the good pricing in the USA reflected here - not starting any arguements - I like this alot - be great with a coil shock - no XXL sizes

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Actually, Pinkbike had a good piece about it as well:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Santa-Cruz-Carbon-Tallboy-LTc-29er-2012.html

I thought their impressions were interesting:

Riding the new Tallboy LTc was a familiar experience. The feel is much like the original, with predictable steering, smooth acceleration and no need for excessive body English to keep the bike on line when clawing up or down rocky sections on the trail. Sedona’s combination of smooth-as-silk clay singletrack, square-edged steps and drops provided ample opportunity to judge whether an additional 30 or 40 millimeters of wheel travel was worth two years of development at Santa Cruz. The verdict was not as clear as expected.

The added travel did not make the LTc feel like a magic carpet. Bumps that jarred me on the old Tallboy could be felt through the longer legged version. Drops to flat and G-outs used every bit of the suspension. To its credit, however, the new LTc feels exactly how I wanted the old Tallboy to be – faster uphill, faster downhill and even more capable in the rough.

gbear

Likes Bikes
i'll be in the states in August, I'll be bringing of these home to replace my anthem 29

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
Sort of wishing I had held off buying a Heckler and going for an alloy Tallboy LT, the price is almost twice as much but 29er goodness.

Oh well I guess I will have to make do with my Niner EMD

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
tallboy ltc

Ordered one of these with the good lads at TBSM..
Now the big decision is to find which wheel set to buy for trail riding..

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Nice one :)
How much if you dont mind ?
3300 from memory.. with cane creek headset..

not cheap but will be well worth it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for 29er wheels? I wanted to go the magic crossmax29 but they don't do 142x12 rear axles..

thinking perhaps the easton haven 29 however almost impossible to find one in australia

Big JD

Wheel size expert
go custom

3300 from memory.. with cane creek headset..

not cheap but will be well worth it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for 29er wheels? I wanted to go the magic crossmax29 but they don't do 142x12 rear axles..

thinking perhaps the easton haven 29 however almost impossible to find one in australia
build up a custom set mate with Hope hubs and either Velocity Blunt SLs or Flows. The hubs are bombproof and versitile and are a quarter the price of Industry Nine, Kings or Hadleys. Especially if you are a big bloke or hard on your gear. I would personally would go Shimano XTs over Crossmax or Easton. There are many cost effective options to custom build wheels.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Look forward to the carbon version ......bigger wheels are in (sic)...with all my favorite components, maybe a 26lb even build?

29r Wheels, I like to keep things simple...Hope Hubs (just converted my rear Pro2 to 142x12 for a certain bike :wink:) DT Swiss spokes and Stans Crest/Flows depending on your trails and weight.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Look forward to the carbon version ......bigger wheels are in (sic)...with all my favorite components, maybe a 26lb even build?

29r Wheels, I like to keep things simple...Hope Hubs (just converted my rear Pro2 to 142x12 for a certain bike :wink:) DT Swiss spokes and Stans Crest/Flows depending on your trails and weight.
hey gripper - have you converted any other 26er frames to 650b - like the Nomad or just the Blur?

+1 on Hopes

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2nd the hope on stans for wheels.

Crest or flows work well.

Hope are completly rebuildable. Once you buy a set, you won't have to by hubs for a long time. Spend an extra $100 or so to get the specific bearing and seal tools and you'll be rebuilding your own hubs with ease (not that you will have to do it often)

Gripo

Eats Squid
have you converted any other 26er frames to 650b - like the Nomad or just the Blur?
BLTc is a goer, justs needs a 3mm spacer in the shock to limit bottom out and the rear wheel from hitting the back of seat tube....not a great conversion though as the BB is already high and 650b only exagerates this...

Nomad won't fit a 650b in the rear, the swingarm brace leaves no room....

Bretto172

Likes Dirt

Sweet, sounds like the way to go. I rate Hope gear.

Who builds your wheels? where did you source the conversion kit to make it 142?

Gripo

Eats Squid
Sweet, sounds like the way to go. I rate Hope gear.

Who builds your wheels? where did you source the conversion kit to make it 142?
Had FTR here in Briso- SEQld build wheels for me, as it's my local but honestly anyone should be able to do a Hope Hub/DT Swiss Spoke/Stans Rims build...and keep them true for you.

LBS should be able to source Hope Hub conversions or do the Google search....just be aware that Hope upgraded the Pro2 hubs with an "Evo" tag so the conversion will be either for the "Pro2" or "Pro2 Evo" .....

Last edited:
Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC

I ordered my Tallboy LTC frame back in early April, told to expect it mid May ... then mid June ... now mid July !
I think they are available in NZ, so what happening here !
Has anyone heard anything about a delivery date on these frames ?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what i know a shipment is due to arrive from the US in Brisvegas today (8th july). It will take who knows how long to be offloaded off the docks, clear customs, be unpacked and redistributed. Prolly a week or so I'd guess,. Btw, most shops in the US did not have them when I was there in april/may. At least they didn't do a ibis, announcing a lt 29er like three years ago and then never delivering on the concept (gone back to being a filthy tip bird in my books)

Mick - sounds like whoever your buying off is full of shit and hasnt been the least bit honest with ya, they haven't been expected until July.

Last edited: