Santacruz Chameleon

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Though I'd throw this up as a bit of a work in progess of the Santacruz before I throw some cash money at it.

Its about a 2008 Chameleon Medium with the EBB
Looking for some wider bars and thinking about ditching the front detailer as 99% of the time it just sits in the middle ring or maybe the large when Im on a fire road or similar!

Santa4.jpg

It gets used, abused then cleaned! :D

Winno

Likes Dirt
Nice bike.
Great frame.
Hang some nice stuff on it and ride it some more.

I have all Thomson/Hope/XTR and a nice light set of XC wheels on my Chameleon.
Makes it even betterer...

skean

Squid
Though I'd throw this up as a bit of a work in progess of the Santacruz before I throw some cash money at it.

Its about a 2008 Chameleon Medium with the EBB
Looking for some wider bars and thinking about ditching the front detailer as 99% of the time it just sits in the middle ring or maybe the large when Im on a fire road or similar!

View attachment 225933

It gets used, abused then cleaned! :D
They are great versatile bikes.

I set up my large frame with a 160mm 36 TALAS, 750 bars, SLX all round, 8" rotors and 2.3 Spec SX tyres and a 40mm stem.

Great for AM, light DH or drop the fork and XC is still okay. Great for Red Hill, Awaba, Wollongong etc.... Has replaced my 6" dually....

Attachments

skean

Squid
12.5kg according to bathroom scales

Cool bike . Are they a heavy build up ?
Mine weighs 12.5kg according to bathroom scales, weigh myself with and without bike and take the difference.

Running dual ply on rear tyre and Mavic 721's on Large frame.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Ecentric BB

How has the BB treated you?

I was about to buy one, but the shop guy put me off by stating how bad the BB was. He said it required constant maintainence, as it could slip and creak.

skean

Squid
Bb

How has the BB treated you?

I was about to buy one, but the shop guy put me off by stating how bad the BB was. He said it required constant maintainence, as it could slip and creak.
No issues yet after 1 year. Don't do massive hours on it. Too many techy trails to play on. Not interested in long XC rides.

BB was done up tight when I bought it. The EBB worked out fine, I run it at 6 o'clock to keep it nice and low. Have seen a few people online have had them creak. Others I've soken to haven't. If it creaks I will tighten it.

Personally it doesnt worry me, HT's are so quick to clean (compared to a dually) that if once every 1-2 years I had to tighten it or check it then no issue. So far its likely I will need a new BB before the eccentric starts to creak and need tightening.

This bike is way to much fun over techy stuff and light DH.

The EBB also gives me a single speed option if I ever want and also gives me two BB heights.

Last edited: