Santacruz Driver 8

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at upgrading my trusty old SC VP-Free for a new SC Driver 8 and was after some feedback from current owners....Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
Been on mine since july and im loving it. Running mine with fox 40 up front, rc4 on the rear and it seems to work really well. Haven't had any issues with it.

any more questions?? ask away

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don`t c the point of getting a driver 8 . Its a Whistler lower park bike . If the intended use is for DH the v10 is lighter , faster , better in the air ect , ect , ect . The only one redeeming quality of the bike is the rear grease ports . Its ugly !

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
I don`t c the point of getting a driver 8 . Its a Whistler lower park bike . If the intended use is for DH the v10 is lighter , faster , better in the air ect , ect , ect . The only one redeeming quality of the bike is the rear grease ports . Its ugly !
Note that I really can't justify a V10, we don't have any major DH tracks in Sydney.
Also note that the D8 air's better than a V10 in the nsmb review.

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
the bike is built to be a DH/FR bike that can take a shitload of abuse, its designed to be a high use bike with little issues and easy to maintain. The bike rides fine and hasn't slowed me up on the track(although im looking at getting a angled headset to slacken it but i will wait and see how it feels through the awaba rock garden and fire road). After coming off a session 88 its nice to have something that doesnt feel like your riding a beer can).

Also after listening to one of peatys interviews the other day its sounds like SC is doing away with an alloy V10

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Note that I really can't justify a V10, we don't have any major DH tracks in Sydney.
Also note that the D8 air's better than a V10 in the nsmb review.
No major tracks “in” Sydney is very true..
But saying that are there any tracks “in” actual Sydney at all? Well at least to warrant any dh bike? Unless your riding some random small jumps etc around the place?

If you look on the outskirts of Sydney you’ll find where 90% of Dh riders ride..
Ourimbah (ok a pretty tame dh track), Awaba, Numerous tracks throughout Blue Mountains and Lithgow, Wollongong and surrounds (again heaps of tracks), Menai (maybe a bit more freeride), Sutherland, Del Rio, Pacific Park, Oxford Falls (again perhaps more freeride but still great on a Dh bike which most ride).. and many more out there.. So in there are some pretty decent tracks.

But from the large amount of v10’s being ridden, they cant be too bad on our local tracks.

At the end of the day if you can try both is the best, but i wouldn’t rule out the v10 because of thinking its too big-a-bike.. if you ride a well set up one you’ll find there a pretty light and versatile bike.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the bike is built to be a DH/FR bike that can take a shitload of abuse, its designed to be a high use bike with little issues and easy to maintain. The bike rides fine and hasn't slowed me up on the track(although im looking at getting a angled headset to slacken it but i will wait and see how it feels through the awaba rock garden and fire road). After coming off a session 88 its nice to have something that doesnt feel like your riding a beer can).

Also after listening to one of peatys interviews the other day its sounds like SC is doing away with an alloy V10
Ok , Check .

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
Appreciate your comments evObda2, but note that even the popular Demo8's seem to cope rather well with only 8 inches of rear travel for our condtions. I had a very short ride of a D8 at Whister and it felt great!, I'll have to get my hands a V10 to compare.

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
Dude you bought a VP FREE , wake up to your self !
The VP Free has survived 3 Whistler trips + hit most tracks/stunts in NSW (except for the big doubles on `No Friend's'!) and has out lasted all my mates bikes several times over. It is a FR bike with a high BB and longish chain stay but it's the burliest bike I've come across.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Appreciate your comments evObda2, but note that even the popular Demo8's seem to cope rather well with only 8 inches of rear travel for our condtions. I had a very short ride of a D8 at Whister and it felt great!, I'll have to get my hands a V10 to compare.
I think your missing the point of how the v10 suspension works.. although it is 10inches its not going from 0 inches to 10 inches when you hit a bump (if you get me)..
All bikes sag but the v10 does a touch more. How i describe a v10 ride is it rides like a normal 8 inch travel bike, but then when you hit holes etc instead of skimming or hitting across the top, it absorbs them and provides grip while doing it.
Im aware the driver 8 doesn’t use the same suspension sag design and setup that the v10 does.
So comparing it to a 8inch demo saying because it has 2 more inches travel isnt quiet the same comparison.
I come from riding an Orange 224 which is around the 8inch travel mark as well and a total different suspension setup and style (probably the most opposite bike to the v10 you can get! haha) but like you and i both agree.. you really need to ride one to see what it is all about.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyways.. whatever you get.. ride her hard and go big!!

(ps. and for the record Damo (SideFX) - no i will never buy a v10!! im too stubborn! long live single pivots! haha)

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The VP Free has survived 3 Whistler trips + hit most tracks/stunts in NSW (except for the big doubles on `No Friend's'!) and has out lasted all my mates bikes several times over. It is a FR bike with a high BB and longish chain stay but it's the burliest bike I've come across.
Sorry dude my comment`s were a bit rood . Its just i could never understand the VP free , i feel the bike was designed for long day`s down really big mountains and was a poor choice for Aust and just about every were else . I think the D8 is another bike SC are a bit lost with . Price wise there is only $500 price difference between the v10 and the D8 frame .

Gripo

Eats Squid
Sorry dude my comment`s were a bit rood . Its just i could never understand the VP free , i feel the bike was designed for long day`s down really big mountains and was a poor choice for Aust and just about every were else . I think the D8 is another bike SC are a bit lost with . Price wise there is only $500 price difference between the v10 and the D8 frame .
I top tennned (7th) against a field of 27 other riders (yes it was only sport men) at a qld state round in 2005 on a vpfree......it was my first ever attempt at dhing at age 37 too!

I think that bike played a big part in me getting down that fast against a mixed aged group of sand bagging c greaders, I reckon it was an appropriate dh bike for aussies......

The next year I got it down to 34lbs and rode it around out in the bush.

great bike that vpfree.............

mudmav

Likes Dirt
I think that some people need to realise that unless you are one of the top 100 or so riders in the world, ie competing in the world cups. Or at least at the top of your game in the aussie series ie the likes of corey and rando. That the bike you ride makes very little difference to your results. Im pretty sure that if you put any world cup rider on a hardtail and me on the newest fandangled lightest downhill bike in the world that they would still kick my ass!!! I think this applies to more than just me as well. Their seems to be lots of people that think you need to be on the latest and greatest bike to be any good. Some of the quickest riders i have ever seen in my local area are on old dunger hardtails or 10+ year old downhill bikes.

Buy what you like and what you want and i say dont give a s*&t what anyone else thinks

devilmachine

Likes Dirt
I think that some people need to realise that unless you are one of the top 100 or so riders in the world, ie competing in the world cups. Or at least at the top of your game in the aussie series ie the likes of corey and rando. That the bike you ride makes very little difference to your results. Im pretty sure that if you put any world cup rider on a hardtail and me on the newest fandangled lightest downhill bike in the world that they would still kick my ass!!! I think this applies to more than just me as well. Their seems to be lots of people that think you need to be on the latest and greatest bike to be any good. Some of the quickest riders i have ever seen in my local area are on old dunger hardtails or 10+ year old downhill bikes.

Buy what you like and what you want and i say dont give a s*&t what anyone else thinks
+1. Love my Driver aswell, just want to get rid of the totems.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I ride a v10 and quite happy with it. I wouldnt be worried about a v10 not suiting Sydey tracks. Once you get the setup right it is awesome bike to ride on Sydney tracks. If you are worried about 10 inches maybe get the 2011 carbon v10, it has an 8.5inch setup as well as the 10 inch setup.

Sketchl

Likes Bikes

Unfortunately the MTB industry would die a lonely death if everyone followed your views!

My bike has been ridden to the ground and has developed cracks! I know very well that the majority of us have nothing on the pros, but one of the great aspects of MTB's is being able to spend our hard earnt money of the things we like to do most.

In conclusion the forum allows us to spend our money more wisely.