Save Thirroul Trails: And Legalise Them!

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Dear All,
Things may or may not be in the pipeline after a rather involved proposal from Sheargold evolved from this mornings meeting. There will not be any news for a few weeks while some avenues are investigated. Sorry for being cryptic. I am still a bit shocked by the seriousness with which Sheargold has embraced my proposal. I shouldn't have worn a suit, now they think I'm goddam sensible or something.

I'll let you know when I know.

Scott

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
It begins....

I have not been idle. This morning I met again with the owners of the land at Thirroul, and made some exceptional progress.

The downhill trail at Thirroul is to become legally managed by Wollongong Mountain Bike Club, pending Council approval. I can't spill the beans any more than that, other than to say that Sheargold Developers are very community-minded, considerate and gracious folk. I will provide more information as it comes to hand in the coming few weeks.

Excuse me while I run around shouting for joy.

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
So, this means a proper, legalised DH facility in the gong! :D:cool::eek:
If it does get approval, what does the likely developement of the trails include?
Will there be input from the community and riders?

Last edited:

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
I have not been idle. This morning I met again with the owners of the land at Thirroul, and made some exceptional progress.

The downhill trail at Thirroul is to become legally managed by Wollongong Mountain Bike Club, pending Council approval. I can't spill the beans any more than that, other than to say that Sheargold Developers are very community-minded, considerate and gracious folk. I will provide more information as it comes to hand in the coming few weeks.

Excuse me while I run around shouting for joy.
TOP work .. massive win for MTB esp considering the recent stupiditly with BMCC ...

cant wait to come and ride.

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
great news!

Thanks for your efforts in this area Scott.

So the land owners are sheargold developers? Are there ways we can show our appreciation?

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Will there be input from the community and riders?

In short, WMBC will establish a committee to deal with this when the time is right. There are more important things such as land management and zoning to consider first. The track will be maintained in its present format, and I will engage local riders to assist in restorative works on site to fix the mess made by illegal trail work. The only big change is that the dirt jumps at the bottom of the hill are going to be bulldozed and a big flower garden put in there instead for all the grannies to sit in and sip tea :D

Sheargold presently own the site and have been particularly supportive of the mountain bike community in the region. We will all need to thank Sheargold eventually, if this gig gets off the ground.

Last edited:

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In short, WMBC will establish a committee to deal with this when the time is right. There are more important things such as land management and zoning to consider first. The track will be maintained in its present format, and I will engage local riders to assist in restorative works on site to fix the mess made by illegal trail work. The only big change is that the dirt jumps at the bottom of the hill are going to be bulldozed and a big flower garden put in there instead for all the grannies to sit in and sip tea :D

Sheargold presently own the site and have been particularly supportive of the mountain bike community in the region. We will all need to thank Sheargold eventually, if this gig gets off the ground.
Successful or not, well done Scott on all your passion and obvious energy. If more took a 'sensible':rolleyes: approach as you've done we'd probably be in a far greater position in general.
Good luck and again, congrats.;)

Luke_99

Likes Dirt

So i guess its all about the waiting game from here on.
I really hope this goes ahead, keep our fingers crossed it will work out. Thanks scotty for all the effort you put in to make this happen.