SC Blur TRc 650B

Caboose

Cannon Fodder
Hey all, I did a search for 650b rides and read this thread with a lot of interest.
I'm keen to hear if anyone has attempted to do an XC race on a 650b conversion, or have an opinion on racing one? (not racing to win, just racing to have fun).

Gripo

Eats Squid
Hey all, I did a search for 650b rides and read this thread with a lot of interest.
I'm keen to hear if anyone has attempted to do an XC race on a 650b conversion, or have an opinion on racing one? (not racing to win, just racing to have fun).
Um I race myself (Stava?) and prefer to do it on 27.5" wheels....

No seriously race/ride what difference are you trying to equate out between the two?....

Caboose

Cannon Fodder
Um I race myself (Stava?) and prefer to do it on 27.5" wheels....

No seriously race/ride what difference are you trying to equate out between the two?....
Hey Gripper,

I’d like to differentiate between race & ride like so:
When racing, you invariably adopt a level of competitiveness, no matter where you are in the field. It is the heightened experience level which, certainly for me anyway, makes racing so enjoyable.
When it’s just me and the boys riding, my fun is not really linked to finish order competitiveness, but just “having a laugh” with your mates competitive.

In the world of cycling, competitiveness is inexorably linked with the gear your running, and the advantage/disadvantages (whether they be real or perceived) of the gear, will influence your choice on that gear.

So, I'm really interested to see if either yourself, or anyone else for that matter, has attempted an XC race (let’s say max 50km) on the 650b and could comment on how it felt using this new tech in a standard race environment. I'd be even more interested to hear any back to back comparison of the 26 or 29er dualy bike (say 100-120mm travel) in comparisons to the 650 in a race environment.

Opsi:
I think Nino on a tricycle with tassells would still be competitive :)

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Just came across this thread after a bit of a hiatus from the bike (breeding). Beautiful bikes you have here.

The TRc is my new dream bike and the 650b conversion seems like a good choice from what I've read over on MTBR.

Just wish I had the funds to buy bikes as often as you do. I'm still banging around on my '04 Heckler!

Gripo

Eats Squid
Just came across this thread after a bit of a hiatus from the bike (breeding). Beautiful bikes you have here.

The TRc is my new dream bike and the 650b conversion seems like a good choice from what I've read over on MTBR.

Just wish I had the funds to buy bikes as often as you do. I'm still banging around on my '04 Heckler!
Gday BT180, I know I've been lucky but...after all mortgage/household/family expenses /needs are met I'm given my wants in life...and that's push bikes.

I tried/thought that one bike (TBLT29r) might be something I'd like to do....but couldn't because the TRc is that good.

As mentioned earlier, for me the TRc is an exceptional bike hence my stuff up....and essentially very few $'s were spent getting Ver2 back in my shed.

Have a look at www.fortheriders.com.au they have Santa Cruz frames for sale at the "Garage Sale" prices....you may be able to upgrade asap!

http://news.fortheriders.com.au/2012/11/santa-cruz-sale

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Maybe the new TR alloy will be more in the ballpark in terms of $, although I'd agree to talk to the boys at FTR about your options.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Maybe the new TR alloy will be more in the ballpark in terms of $, although I'd agree to talk to the boys at FTR about your options.

I see the alloy TR is up on SC website> http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/blurtr/ ....but just want to add.....

I reckon a "garage sale" carbon model with 135 rear end but with a 10mm bolt up or DT Swiss/Superstar Components 10mm QR would be a better ride in the long run....

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Oooh, I didn't know they had an alloy version in the pipeline. I have always wanted a carbon bike though. I'm a bit tired of lugging around a 14.5 KG bike. I'm getting too old! :)

EDIT: Just checked the SC website and damn the alloy looks nice!

Last edited: