scariest dh moment you have been in.

pinnr

Likes Bikes
Like a full speed crash. or a muddy rock garden and slipping over the edge. slamming into tree flying down a step and sharp corner. tell us of your scariest moment where you thought you were going to die but lived to see another day!:)

Shredden

Knows his goats
Stop posting these types of thread and start telling me about how you got aus post to deliver something on a weekend?

chris95

Likes Dirt
I think its a good tread

My worse crash so far was on the Kuranda DH track in cairns, went off a step down way to fast overshoot the lander by around 2 meters, but the biggest problem was that the landing was very rutted and rocky, So I landed in a rut already screwed by overshooting the jump and then my hands came off the bars and i was hanging on to the bike from my legs clinging under the bars, Hit a rock and got lanched at about 30-40km's straight onto my hip and then whiplashed my head back into the hard ground.

And the other painful thing was that after that crash there is no other way out of that track other than the start and finish being in a rainforest, so I had to ride the rest of the way down with some very bad soft tissure damage to my hip:(

So thats my worst crash in my Dh experiences so far
Would like to hear some more??

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been pretty lucky with crashes but near when i started Dhing in about 98 i snapped a pair of early alloy handle bars when i was at speed.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine actually wasn't a crash, I was going done a track on my "new" downhill bike. Got to a part that has a little waterbar/stepdown in one (don't ask me how it is as it's really hard to explain). Anyways I was going into it a fair bit faster than usual and got some good air (for me anyways). Only problem was I started nose diving. Had that massive adrenaline rush you get when you feel like you really will die. Some how stayed on but was shit scared :D Some how though that was scarier than when I broke a verterbrae in my back and sprained several others doing some really small jump :confused:

downhillar

Likes Dirt
my worst crash was what kinda turned me off DH and i haven't raced since.

it was at dargle in maybe 2005ish, i havent been back there and my memory is a bit hazy so excuse anythe start gate was up the top of this hill, then you went down this rocky section, then you crossed over this sandy road and went off to the track on the right.

so aaanyway, i accidently picked the wrong line off the start gate on my 3rd run, it was waaay rockier than i expected so i took my fingers off the brakes so i could hold on.
by the time i got to the bottom of the hill i was going way too fast, tried to turn on the sandy part and my front tyre dug in, flung me over the bars!
mid-air i'm looking forward - facing me is a tree probably 5 or 6 inch diameter, so i tucked my head down and copped this tree right in the centre of my helmet.
i was so f**king lucky that this tree was dead or had been burnt or something, cause when i hit it, i managed to snap it in half and landed relatively unhurt.

if that tree was was alive and green etc, i believe that impact would have broken my neck.

...good times :p

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Pinning up rimbah shuttle road in the back of Mullan's uterous pissing rain ... with 8 or 9 other bunnies sitting in the back with white knuckle fever :p. awesome fun

In the middle of nowhere ... with at least 40 minutes of riding to go ... flat rear ... and no tubes ... old school halogen lights starting to flicker ... having x-files flash backs .:cool:

fairy1

Banned
I decided I would ride til dark last week, I was havin a blast riding simple DH stuff with minimal light. It ended up getting too dark to ride so I hit the fire roads and started pushing back up and found a lit torch on the trail, I picked it up then pulled out my headphones and heard some rustling in the bushes. I feared for the safety of my acorn so I dropped the torch and legged it, scary shit!

cluster

Likes Dirt
mid-air i'm looking forward - facing me is a tree probably 5 or 6 inch diameter, so i tucked my head down and copped this tree right in the centre of my helmet.
i was so f**king lucky that this tree was dead or had been burnt or something, cause when i hit it, i managed to snap it in half and landed relatively unhurt.

if that tree was was alive and green etc, i believe that impact would have broken my neck.
Been in that situation waaaaaayyyy too many times... although maybe not quite as fast as you were going. And the trees I happen to hit are always alive and well :(

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
When I binned it on a big step down at Marino's DH in Cairns in about...05?

Came into it not carrying enough speed, so I decided to give the forks a good push down then pull up on the lip...Bike was basically vertical, handlebars were pressed to my body, tried to recover, but landed on the rear wheel and washed out, slammed straight onto my back and bounced a couple of times then rolled prob a good 10m down the track...

Results (I'm so glad I had full body armor on):

Jump:

Stack:

After:

pinnr

Likes Bikes
hell that looks painful lucky you had amour or you would have been screwed.
my worst crash isn't very exciting but it was some home made jumps in the middle of a bush. it was a small dirt kicker and way over shot it by a mile the nose started tilting down and i landed on the front wheel and flew a couple a meters and fell onto my shoulder and got soft tissue damage couldn't ride for a week and a bit:(.The best crash is my friend who manged to get his brake leaver though a pair of jeans and a thumbs length into his thigh nearly black out from lose of blood and their local doctor was closed. keep telling us of your dh crashes:)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Put some slicks on my hardtail for some road training, ended up riding to the top of Mt. Wellington and on the way down couldn't resist a tasty looking trail on the side of the road.
Started off nice and smooth but quickly went down, steep, rocky, and insanely fast.

Combine this with being on a hardtail, 1.25" full slicks, 110psi in the licorice, brakes on hard and still not slowing down.

It felt like I was driving a bowl of custard down a rocky mudslide combined with the steering feeling like a baseball bat in a bucket of coconuts.

Stupid, bald, man.

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Put some slicks on my hardtail for some road training, ended up riding to the top of Mt. Wellington and on the way down couldn't resist a tasty looking trail on the side of the road.
Started off nice and smooth but quickly went down, steep, rocky, and insanely fast.

Combine this with being on a hardtail, 1.25" full slicks, 110psi in the licorice, brakes on hard and still not slowing down.

It felt like I was driving a bowl of custard down a rocky mudslide combined with the steering feeling like a baseball bat in a bucket of coconuts.

Stupid, bald, man.
That's awesome. Did you bin it?

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
was doing some runs at the local dh track (toowoomba) riding out the dirt road to the pick up point on my last run about 50 meters away from the car i stood up to pedal. i was in a high ish gear and put some power down, just to have my pedal snap at the axel and me to bin it quite dramaticly:cool:.

all that wasn't scary but i thought to myself jeez if that happened 5 minutes ago id be fucked.:D

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Last time I went DH'n in Red Hill I tore all the tendons and ligaments in my shoulder after super manning into a tree. That was pretty damn scary.... What was worse is what happened afterwards. Was walking my bike back to the car when suddenly I here this "bzzzzzzzzzz".... little did I know I had pissed off a swarm of wasps who were all now set on stinging me. I got stung repeatedly 8 times all over the body hahaha.

I'm fucking terrified of bee's and wasps, tis a little phobia of mine.

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
my worst stack would have to be dh riding at lithgow state track. flying down the track making a new best time for myself while training for the states then doing a jump that goes into a burm, flying way to fast off that jump and landing about 2m to far on top of the burm then flying off the burm into a tree. some how after flying off the burm I dropped my bike in mid air 180 and hit the tree with my back. I ended up getting severe internal bruising to my back and not being able to race. on the topside though the doctor said if I hadn't had a spine protector on my body armour i could have broken my back so that was lucky for me! :eek:

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
Analogy of the year :D

Nowhere near my worst stack, but I decided I try to ride a log elevated about 75cm off the ground at one of my local tracks. Got about 1m along and the upper surface went from two tyre widths to half a tyre width. Lost traction, but managed to barely avoid copping log to face and all kinds of pain (caught it with my shoulder instead).

Was pretty scary because I had enough time to realise I was screwed and that there was nothing I could do about it before I actually bailed.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
That's awesome. Did you bin it?
Yeah, hit the deck. Took off some skin and had to have a sit for a bit.
Washed out the front wheel and shouldered into the dirt still clipped in dragging my left knee/thigh and bike across the rocks and dirt until I stopped. No breaks luckily.