School me on fork and shock upgrades

ademb

Likes Dirt
Got myself a 06 Norco Atomik, it has the Marz. Super T's forks and a dhx 3.0 on the rear. Although they aren't bad, I've been considering upgrading both over the next few months.

Now I don't think ill be planning on adding new parts to a bike that cost me $1000 so obviously the next best thing is second hand purchases.

Basically what I'm wondering is what specs do I need to match up to new parts so that they fit?

Ie I'm guessing some shocks will be too big for the 8.1" of rear travel so it would hinder my purchases?

Cheers Adem

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DHX3 can be upgraded to 09 spec DHX5 (though there's some 3's out there that can't). That'll be a whole lot cheaper than buying another shock and with the necessary service it'll be essentially new anyway :D

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
When you switch your forks, make sure the steerer length is long enough and that you have the right size. IIRC the T's will be 1 1/8th diameter.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back shock you need to match eye to eye length, and stroke as well. Also check that other people have mounted the same shocks on your bike, you don't want external reservoirs hitting the frame. Also the shock mounting hardware can possibly be different if you change brand of shock.

Front you'll need to check steerer tube length and diameter as mentioned, and you may need different disk brake adapters depending on what you switch to. Maybe different axles depending on what you do too (QR or 20mm)? This might mean different adapters on your hubs, or a new wheel.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Ok and measuring eye to eye i presume is with the shock out of the frame?

Shock mounting should be fine because i just want to upgrade to a 4.0 or 5.0 fox coil shock.

Cheers mate

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not too hard, so you can probably do it with it still in the frame. Unless it's a really obscure bike it should be one of a bunch of common sizes i.e. 190, 200, 215, 222mm etc.