SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Install a tube as normal - let it sit for a day or to to take shape - then give it a crack.. :)
This worked for me. Ive got Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin (non UST) and there was no way they were going to seat on my XT wheels. Tube in, pump to 60psi, leave for a day, tube out, Stans in, inflate. I lost a little air from the bead for 5 mins or so but then the Stans sealed the bead and they have held pressure perfectly since.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
He's not using rim strip with 823's the reason you inflate a tube is to help the tyre take shape and when you take it out you can leave on side on already seated. Are you pumping them up to around 50 - 60 psi and leaving them for a while to make sure there seated correctly?
Of course! Good point.

- Joel

0psi

Eats Squid
http://www.notubes.com/Movies.aspx

Have a flick through there mate, obviously ignore anything about rim strips etc. Giving the wheel a good shake is key to tricky setups.

And tube is also a great idea, it allows everything to sit/form nicely before setting up tubeless.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is an article in the latest MBA that talks about the same problem. Schwalbe tyres not keeping air.
It reported that Schwalbe have identified a release compound that is used in the factory as the reason sealant won't work. They recommend thoroughly cleaning the inside of the tyre with brake cleaner.

The reporter said he tried this it sorted the problem.

lmcd

Likes Bikes
G'day mate
I've put heaps of schwalbe ( muddy Mary, big Betty etc) tyres on 823's.
Tyre on, good dose of stans and then use an a/c to inflate. Once inflated spin/rock the wheel to ensure the stans gets around
I've never had a problem.

edmo

Likes Bikes
Hi mate

Its coming from the tyre, not the valve they are relatively new mavic valves only been used for two races.

Yes im using the french valves and ive only got car valves heavy duty tubes i'll try and see if they fit as i dont want to drill out the rims other option like you said

cheers for your help...
Don't drill out your 823s. I take it you're using the tubeless valve stem that came with the rims? You won't be able to use that afterwards...

Personally I've found mounting all tyres on my 823s to be very easy - just did it with a track pump. I try to push down on the tyre, then grab the sides to pull the beads of the tyre to spread them out as much as possible all the way round the rim.
Also found putting the valve directly at the bottom and resting the tyre on the ground (Gently) helps the bead catch...

weeman80

Likes Bikes
Hey guys thanks for all the advice what I've done is fitted the tires upto another set of wheels with tubes so that they can get some shape first will give this a go for a good day or so then fit to my Mavic rims with the stans.. I just think the tyres were that out of shape I.e the squished in the box they arrived unlike the perfectly round minions I fitted with ease

weeman80

Likes Bikes
well i tried again last night still to no avail.. these are much harder to do then the minions...

what ive done now is thrown in a french valve tube in my mavic 823's and the bead popped as i was pumping it up so hopefully thats good sign, i noticed when i was trying to fill it up that the air was coming out right near the valve so im going to try a few more of the tips in the video like patting down the tyre and using soapy water, (i dont normally do this with the minions)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I run 823s and I've just stuck a set of Schwalbe's on. At first it wouldn't seal for around ten minutes so I put more sealant in (around 50ml each tyre) and it has now set just fine.
When you are taking the valve in and out you need to make sure that you don't lose the O ring that sits under the screw on cap on the outside of the rim. You also need to make sure that when you do this up firmly by hand that the rubber part on the inside of the rim sits snug in the rim. Put your sealant in, pump it up with an air compressor until it pops all round and then use a floor pump to put 60psi in it. Spend ten minutes rolling your wheel on it's side and upside down and any which way that will see the sealant sit on the bead.
I need to check my pressures each time I ride but it only loses around 4 psi over a week or two. The pressure doesn't drop when I'm riding so I have full confidence in the tyre and the setup.

0psi

Eats Squid
Are you removing the valve core? With most UST tires I've used (mainly kenda) I've just popped them on and they've been fine but most normal tires I've had to remove the valve core to get the tire to seat.

Pull the valve core out, squirt a crap load of sealant in there (Like 3 capfuls) and pump like crazy to about 60psi. That should seat the tire, then put your valve core back in and re-inflate to 60-70psi and roll and shake that wheel. Then leave it on it's side for a while and periodically shake it and flip it. Then leave the wheel in a bike upside down so that you can spin it once in a while. Has worked for me every time (goes in seach of wood!)

Also, have you tried rotating the tire? Ie- is it the same point on the tire thats not sealing or the same point on the rim? If you shuffle your tire around 90degrees and try again you'll be able to tell if it's that point on the tire that isn't seating/sealing or if it's an issue with the area around the valve on your rim. Your efforts may have been misguided :p

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running non UST Muddy Mary's tubeless on my Crank Bros Opium wheels (tubeless), using Stans sealant. Originally had sealing issues like you're saying with another sealant, but scrapped that and put Stans in and that solved it. Might have something to do with the bead of the tires not being well suited to the 823's. :confused: Or just a technique issue as others are saying.

Only issue I'm having is a little bit of burping that occurs on tracks with hard off cambers. So i think I may need to chuck a rim strip in, as I don't already have one. Opinions?

weeman80

Likes Bikes
well i got the muddy mary working on the front,

I chucked a tube in and let it pop to the bead then removed the tube, put stans in and soapy water and instantly went up..

With the rear im trying to fit a wicked will and having a issues i tried getting tube in the rim but each time i tried to do that i pinched anyway the tyre has more shape so gave it a go, same deal stans and soapy water the tire still has some kinks in it but not that bad.. anyway wouldnt bead at all trying rotating the tyre and and moving around just wont sit will.. Not sure if the tire was to skinny its a 2.35 but its like a 2.5 minion... will have another go tomorrow at it..

Rachael

Cannon Fodder
Tyres too tight

I just tried converting my wheels to tubeless. Got a stans conversion kit and some Schwalbe UST tyres (racing ralph and nobby nic.)
It took me ages to get the tyre on my wheel (DT swiss 420SL rims) and then I couldn't get it back off. Took it to the bike shop and he said it was the tightest and most incompatible match he'd seen - he also couldn't get the tyre off. Spent hours working on it and 4 broken tyre levers later finally got it off. I can't seem to find any info on the net about certain rims not fitting certain tyres so a bit scared as to what to buy next. Was getting pretty excited about using the Schwalbe's until now. Any advice?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Wifey had 420sl rims in the past and is using stans rims now, and had no issues getting both rocket rons and racing ralphs on and off. Sounds like you were more unlucky with a tight fitting tyre. Schwalbe tyres are great, don't let one bad experience deter you :)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+2 I have had horrible times trying to first mount, then seal the TL versions on crest rims.

JessD

Likes Dirt
Put a massive slice in my rear rocket ron brand new tyre today went down instantly!
Thats going to happen to any tyre when you do that!
I have been using Rocket Rons since 2009, fave tyre ever.

One issue at Mt Buller in a race, hit a rock at the wrong angle, pierced tyre, but that was just random bad luck on my part.

Happy camper here.