Scooter Stereotyping and Assumptions

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man, all you have to do is look at a scooter, and it just kind of makes you think..... I don't even know what I think. They just look so stupid.

+ as everyone's said they're generally little kids who are to young to understand Skate Park etiquette, and as such have none.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Scooter = Toy.

I'd like to see the next fad involve children bombing hills in the back of Tonka Trucks.

S.

ex offender
The problem with scooters isn't your sexual orientation, when people call you "gay" they don't mean it literally.

The big problem with scooters is that they're both cheap AND extremely easy to get on and use in a skatepark. As a result, there are kids who are 8 years old getting on them and getting in the way of people who are actually old enough to watch out for other people around them. These kids don't have the skills/balance/patience to skate, and don't have the money (or often physical size/strength) to buy and ride a BMX. Scooters "cheat" at simple tricks, because ANYONE can bunnyhop one and it takes literally all of 5 minutes to learn how to tailwhip one - find anyone who's been riding bikes for less than 3 years who can tailwhip! As a result, the little kids who are on em usually have a very over-inflated idea of their own abilities, and don't respect the typical etiquette/hierarchy of the skateparks - usually because they aren't even aware it exists. Everyone else regards them as toys that let little kids play in the big kids' playground.

Also, they are the shittest deathtrap contraptions on earth, the people buying them are usually muppets of the highest order, kids accessorise the shit out of them despite "upgrading" grips and wheels actually doing nothing whatsoever, and the riders are usually yappy little kids who don't understand when to shut the hell up - ie ALWAYS. Nobody cares that Haidyn (because said scooter kids usually have typically bogan misspelled names) has a 4 bolt clamp on his muppetmobile and that you need the same thing except in purple to complete your aluminium abomination.

One other thing - if your parents buy you a scooter, it's because you're adopted. If they really loved you, they would have bought you a bike.

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The problem with scooters isn't your sexual orientation, when people call you "gay" they don't mean it literally.

Also, they are the shittest deathtrap contraptions on earth, the people buying them are usually muppets of the highest order, kids accessorise the shit out of them despite "upgrading" grips and wheels actually doing nothing whatsoever, and the riders are usually yappy little kids who don't understand when to shut the hell up - ie ALWAYS. Nobody cares that Haidyn (because said scooter kids usually have typically bogan misspelled names) has a 4 bolt clamp on his muppetmobile and that you need the same thing except in purple to complete your aluminium abomination.

One other thing - if your parents buy you a scooter, it's because you're adopted. If they really loved you, they would have bought you a bike.
Cracking up re- reading that:):)

Whatever keeps them away from the vices of X-Box, watching Humphrey Bear, vandalism and gets them outside and active is a good thing.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
I once saw a full on scooter brawl over the ABEC rating of bearings. Like literally 15 kids just in a massive punch up.

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
in the blue mountains (where i live) nearly every single scooter kid has been an absloute jerk, they snake u, they yell abuse at u for riding a bike, they pretty much own some skate parks, as in if you go there just by yourself or with one mate they will taught/abuse you or whatever till u leave. + there is whatevery one else said about having no skill to ride on and all that. i have met one person in the blue mountains that is a normal/nice guy (after seeing or getting abused by however many others) :(

eljordo407

Likes Bikes
http://vimeo.com/19240931

Entertaining...

Does the mean the bmx companies are gonna make money off scooter kids (even though they already have with grips and stickers...I saw a scooter kid with a backbone bmx sticker on his scooter), e.g. havin kids roll around with hazard lites on their dirt scooter?

I don't like scooters...they always get in the way at the worst time e.g. when I'm in mid flight over the box at Wadalba, landed and wiped him out

Last edited:

ozz

Likes Bikes
Ive always seen scooters as kids toys. It's pretty much expeted that the little kids who are too young to really get into bmx or skating ride them. Parents buy kids scooters because they cant ride a bike well enough.

When parents bring their kids on scooters to the skatepark, if they are smart they scope out whats going on, and dont let their kid do what they like. If the parents are shit and let their kids run loose on scooters, sooner or later they usually get told to get fucked, its a skatepark not a playground; or the kid will cause a crash and usually get hurt enough to be taken home.

What gets me is the kids over 12 or so riding scooters, the expensive ones which cost enough that you could actually buy a bike for as much. Everyone just looks at them and thinks 'why not just buy a bike'. 99.9% of them cant do anything special. i've seen ONE scooterer who i would reguard as good. All the rest do stupid little foot down lip tricks and flyout backies all day. I've NEVER seen a scooter get enough speed to get any decent air either.

Ive seen more than one game of SCOOT played where a bmxer borrows a scooter and verses a scooter rider, i've never seen the scooterer win.

Once your physically big enough, and can afford it, why not just step up to a bike?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Ive seen more than one game of SCOOT played where a bmxer borrows a scooter and verses a scooter rider, i've never seen the scooterer win.
Funny thing is this is true.
Only know one guy who can beat the BMXers, and that's cos he rode BMX for a little while, broke it, then went back to scooters cos they are cheap as shit and he has no money.
That's pretty much how my mates get the scooter kids to leave.
When a guy on a BMX says 'If I beat you at scoot, you leave, if I lose, we leave', the scooter kid is always too big headed to say no....but then half the time they don't leave, but that's another story.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im sorry but Scooter Fags make me rage.

Any skate park is dominated by 12 year old skinny jeans, high tops and some expensive t-shirt with Protec Buckey lasek clear helmet.

They seem to sit on the copping, transistions and never wait their turn. I understand sometimes you do get in the way of others but after the 5th time its a tad annoying.

And i dont give a rat arse if you can bri flip, tail whip or bar spin. Go get a bike between ya legs and make the world a safer place.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
arguing with the scooter kids is a daily basis at our school.

Once we were sittng on the computers and they were trying to tell me how this guy did a backflip transfer (actually two 14yos can do it here, somewhat cool), or something gay like that, but i just started loading up red bull rampage. shut. down. :p

But in all seriousness, most scooter kids have developed a sense that they own the place, and theyre the toughest and thats what really drives me insane. some of them are all right, but the others are complete fags.

I like to think of it as, the size of your wheel, indicates the size of your gentlemans sausage. :rolleyes:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
we have given up asking them to move over and over again, now I just casually lob my 26er park bike into them, they have started to stop hanging out on the top of boxes/coping edge and actually listen to the older guys at the park now.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like everyone has said they just get in the way cause their too young to understand. Basically when I goto the park I just end up having to "accidentally" crash, tailwhip afew if the worst offenders and the rest seem to fuck off out of your way for the rest of the day. They can actually learn they just have to be taught.

I'm mean when they have kids one day what the hell are they going to be able to boast about to their kids. "yeh once I was able to backflip to flat on my gay scooter" how fricken pathetic.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how you have to have a Rampfest sticker on your scooter to look cool too. On my dh bike, I can ride off a curb and barely feel anything. A scooter, in comparison, can barely ride on asphalt. I know which one I'd prefer.