Scotch Drinkers

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I have wanted to learn the nuances of Scotch for some time ... for no other reason than to try and enjoy something I hate, and determine whether its all just wankery. Its not for the sake of drinking, but certainly it will help me get to sleep.

I will start by stating I have no base of knowledge other then drinking mainly cheap scotch usually mixed with coke on very seldom occasions in my 20s. I hated beer back then too.

So into my local I go with the opening line ... "Hey Bruv, I want to teach myself the finer details of Scotch, what can you recommend ?"

The Store guys looks at me with a slight smirk and asks "how much you want to spend ?" whilst walking me towards the appropriate section.

"Do you want something Peaty ... (I missed the rest of it) ... " blah blah blah

I immediately say $40, but I scan the prices on the shelf and see there are items that push 60, 70, 90 + ... so say "maybe $50" ... "I want to understand the flavours of a decent Scotch" ... "understand what I'm tasting" .. also whilst shrugging and conveying my wish to share in his wisdom

He immediately reaches for a bottle in a cage ... "Monkey Shoulder" is its name ... "Blended Malt Scotch Whisky" ... "Batch 27" ... "Smooth and Rich", the propaganda on the label tells me

I then ask him "whats the next step up do you think ... " he points out a couple other bottles and runs me through the names in the $60 and $70 range, along with somemore blah blah ... but I've switched off by now as the cage intrigues me, as do the 3 monkeys melted onto the bottle.

So here I start ... I've poured a bit into a glass ( lets call it a finger ... did I get that right?) and start with my monkey on the rocks ... I can almost hear you, learned reader, gasping ... but pffft learn me.

Out of the bottle the wiff of 40% alcohol hits my nostrils ... but as I type and sniff ... that quickly goes ... replaced by a smokey smell. Initial taste is bitter, hitting the back of my throat and back into my nose ... pretty much as I remember, but as the liquor cools or the ice melts and diffuses the hit, I can taste a few more flavours over the bite of the Alcohol.

definitely on the rocks was a good idea. Letting it breath a bit helped as well., I think ??

So am I doing it right ? Is $50 entry level ?
Should I be trying it straight to better understand the layers?
WTF is the difference with a peaty variety ? what other shizzle should I know about this shizzle.
What can you recommend me ? I want to understand the difference between a good scotch and a cheap scotch. An expensive Scotch and a not so expensive puppy. Is price really an indicator of quality and more importantly taste ? what should I be looking for in terms of tastes
What are the dos and donts ?
Nerd it up and tell me the difference between the whiskies ! distillation techniques, regions of renown, ingredients ... all things Scotch and likely Whisky ... you know you want to.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hey Al,

some light reading...
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?293848-W̶h̶i̶s̶k̶e̶y̶-WHISKY!&highlight=whisky

I'm not much of a Whisky guy, everyone's got their own preferences, but two whiskies that stand out as enjoyable to me are Glenmorangie original (10 yo??) and Talisker 10 Year Old. Both of them are around the $70-75 dollar mark. I would say that price point is a reasonable indicator of something drinkable.

I would say the Glenmorangie is one that's fruit and maybe a hint of chocolate in its flavour, (IMO) and Talisker 10YO is more warming and aromatic and the flavour keeps on developing.
Don't bother with Johnny Walker Blue label, unless you like spending too much money for a boring blended whisky, smooth, but that's about all I recall. no flavour complexity & development, not much of anything.

Ice or water or neat? personal preference. many different opinions. I prefer neat, or a couple of drops of water, but generally neat.

If you enjoy the taste of a scotch, then ultimately that's all that matters. if you hate the taste of a scotch, try another one. Life's too short to drink things you hate.

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are so many choices....

Definitely steer clear of the blends Imo I am a single malt guy through and through. Basic Glen fiddick was where it began for me and I moved on from there...

And check out some offerings from our friends in the apple isle - they are smashing out some cracking drinks - Sullivan's cove picked up best whiskey in the world award...just need a spare gorilla to buy a bottle....

Fuck I'm getting thirsty and I'm doing the whole teetotaller for 8 weeks thing...

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Best advice is to get yourself to a good whisky bar. They will be best suited to guiding you through a range of whiskys to your taste.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
If you drink enough of anything to get you drunk you will start to enjoy it, if you don't like something drink more and eventually your brain will link horrible burney stuff to good times and you'll start to think you like the flavour.

There's nothing more manly than a bunch of dudes bum puffing cigars and talking about how they love the taste of the wood in their too fancy for a stupid person drinks.
Enjoy your bevvies but don't let it get so crazy that you spend so much time evaluating each one that you stop enjoying it, it's just alcohol.

scblack

Leucocholic
If you drink enough of anything to get you drunk you will start to enjoy it, if you don't like something drink more and eventually your brain will link horrible burney stuff to good times and you'll start to think you like the flavour.

There's nothing more manly than a bunch of dudes bum puffing cigars and talking about how they love the taste of the wood in their too fancy for a stupid person drinks.
Enjoy your bevvies but don't let it get so crazy that you spend so much time evaluating each one that you stop enjoying it, it's just alcohol.
Nah, that's like saying a Ferrari is just a transport option to commute to work.

NerfHerder wants to enjoy and appreciate his whiskey. His questions are just a step forward in that education process.

If you only see alcoholic drinks as a means to get drunk, then proceed as you are. But some people like to savour what they are drinking.

I have no interest in whiskey, but I'll follow the thread as I'm sure I'll learn some interesting stuff.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
There are so many choices....

Definitely steer clear of the blends Imo I am a single malt guy through and through. Basic Glen fiddick was where it began for me and I moved on from there...

And check out some offerings from our friends in the apple isle - they are smashing out some cracking drinks - Sullivan's cove picked up best whiskey in the world award...just need a spare gorilla to buy a bottle....
A good blend is pure joy. I don't know how mixing 2 or more quality whiskies can do anything but widen the flavour of the drink in question. You can't compare an 80 dollar single malt to a 30 dollar blend. Have you ever had a good blended whisky?
Tassie whiskies are overrated, admittedly I've only had a couple but what you spend on a 500 ml bottle of lark could by you 2 700ml quality 10 year olds.

My current favourite is actually an Irish single malt and pretty good value. Bushmills 10 year old.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I dabble in the occasional single malt or blend, but my heart lies with good quality rum, not talking about the vinegar you get a retail outlets, talking about barreled joy, I can't drink allot because of my crohns but I really enjoy a small glass of Diplomatico Reserva 12 Year once a week, perfection in a glass

climberman

Likes Dirt
There are a few scotch groups in the Blueys mate, look athem up. Call Leura Cellars, they organise stuff. Let them know where you're at and can they invite you to anything?

slowmick

38-39"
sounds like an excellent reason for a trip to Tassie. bike riding and whisky tasting. my wife found the bar staff in the Lark distillery in Hobart very helpful in finding a whisky she enjoyed and the how and whys of adding water. was interesting even for a suburbon and coke drinker like me.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
+1 to whiskey/whisky tasting in Tas. I've always been a fan, but doing the tastings gave me better appreciation.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Whisky is best drunk in your pants but don't be afraid to drop a dash of water into the mix - all you need is enough to stop the sting of the alcohol.
Its a bit of a fine margin and you might find there are some whiskies that don't require a drop whereas others (cask strength especially) may require a bit more.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks peeps ... good stuff and thanks as always
I'll track down a tassie and Blueys variety ... cheers

Best advice is to get yourself to a good whisky bar.
any recommendations Sydney area ? although I dont think I'm ready.

His questions are just a step forward in that education process.

... But some people like to savour what they are drinking.
This and this really

I hear ya re room temp ... but I might work my way there ... especially since its fracking hot and room temp is prolly a couple minutes in ice anyway :shocked:

second hit was much better ... I let it sit for a little, went down much easier ... didn't got straight to my head ... I wont call it smooth yet.

I'm still curious on what peaty means ... I'm presuming it means musky or dry ... also blended is in my head now ... might leave them for a bit

stirk

Burner
Wouldn't hurt to pop into this shop or book in a tasting with a few friends.

http://www.worldofwhisky.com.au

Personally I love the single malts from Islay like Laphroaig. It packs a very smoky punch to the senses.

The Japanese make some nice whisky too, currently working through a bottle of Oban single malt, very different to the Islay style but nice none the less.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm still curious on what peaty means
It means 'legend'

steve-peat.jpg

Also it means it tastes of peat (no, not that one), which sounds weird as peat is basically mud you can burn and its not particularly tasty.
However it does have a rich smell when you burn it and in the areas of Scotland where there's shitloads of it just lying on the hills (Western Isles, Orkney) it's used as fuel when toasting the grains for distilling. This gives the end result a distinct smoky flavour.

Good examples of peaty whiskies are the Islay malts such as Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig, Orkney's Highland Park and Skye's Talisker

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Wouldn't hurt to pop into this shop or book in a tasting with a few friends.

http://www.worldofwhisky.com.au

Personally I love the single malts from Islay like Laphroaig. It packs a very smoky punch to the senses.

The Japanese make some nice whisky too, currently working through a bottle of Oban single malt, very different to the Islay style but nice none the less.
Used to live in Oban, they do make a nice drop there, and the limited edition bottles you can get from the distillery are mighty fine. One suggestion of theirs that was a pleasant surprise was to eat a bit of crystallized ginger with a dram of the Oban, and I gotta say it does make a nice match.

Anyway for the OP, the Glenlivet 12 year old is a good place to start, doesn't cost the earth and is a nice smooth lighter style before you head for the heavy peat hitters. Don't be put off by the blends either, there are plenty of crap ones, but the good ones are like a blended wine (e.g. Cab Merlot) which people quaff plenty of. The aim with most blends is to produce a consistent product so you know what you are getting, whereas the single malts will be more variable. If you don't like them neat a dash of water is a recommended addition as it opens up the flavours and takes a bit of the sting out (Jim Murray who writes the definitive whisky bible always adds a bit of water to his drams.)

Tassie malts are pretty fine, but heavy on the hip pocket. Hellyers Rd 10 year old is a good one at slightly less eye watering cost then the Nant and Lark products.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm still curious on what peaty means ... I'm presuming it means musky or dry ... also blended is in my head now ... might leave them for a bit
They use peat fires to cook the malted barley which puts a smokey/earthy taste in the final product.