Scott 24 Hr 2012

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Another ripper event

Nothing much to add to earlier feedback, except to affirm that the Scott 24 is a great event, and a worthy must-do in the ride calendar.

The trails were exceptionally good: even with the rain, most of the track stood up with some noticeable exceptions on the Blue Lap and the start of the Red. I really enjoyed the course selection, it seemed to hang together well with clever use of elevation gain to provide lots of descent to play with. The downhill inclusions were a perfect way to finish off the Red lap, albeit there was good reason (and more than adequate signage) to be cautious in parts.

No doubt numbers were down: in many ways this proved a bonus as the track density was good, no queues at the amenities but enough riders/spectators to provide a buzz.

The camping area is well sorted for the 2's and 3's. We had oodles of space and no problems with access. The only downside was a team with a noisy generator so a light in could be run in their gazebo. Otherwise, all good.

Kudos to CORC. They run a mean event, with good organisation and great volunteers. The only (very) minor glitch was the start, which I reckon CORC will sort out for next year.

Our team has now wrapped up a decade of riding the Scott/Mont 24. It's too hard to stop - we're now aiming for a baker's dozen.

Alistair

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
The camping area is well sorted for the 2's and 3's. We had oodles of space and no problems with access. The only downside was a team with a noisy generator so a light in could be run in their gazebo. Otherwise, all good.
We also had generator issues in the 4/6s camp, surely there should be rules about no generators after 10pm and before 6am ... I checked the rules but I couldn't see anything.

minhtam

Squid
Had a great time in a team of 6.
Photos are a bit disappointing though - the spots where they were taken aren't exactly exciting. There are ten snaps of me riding up the DD firetrail chatting to some other guy. Nothing on Deep Creek, nothing on Party Line or Dingoes?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
As a solo I had 68 photos taken, woot. But as you say, basically nothing on the Blue lap at all... Still bought the package though of course :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Had a great time in a team of 6.
Photos are a bit disappointing though - the spots where they were taken aren't exactly exciting. There are ten snaps of me riding up the DD firetrail chatting to some other guy. Nothing on Deep Creek, nothing on Party Line or Dingoes?
Yeah I was a bit let down this year, Sportograf are usually amazing this year's photos are still quality but their choice of location is a bit odd this year. I have several of me on the crit track, like a finishers photo - for nearly every lap... :-( i guess the weather didn't help them anymore than it helped us but still the A line rocks on the down hill track or any of the blue lap techy sectiosn would have been nice. I like to have proof I can mtb ;-)

haych.mtb

Cannon Fodder
First timer

It was my first solo 24 & first time at Canberra. Fantastic trails for the most part. It would have been nice to have avoided some of the blue and start of the red in the last 6 hrs. By comparison, the 3 previous years in Victoria @ Forrest & Redesdale the mud in Canberra was a breeze. Great event. I will be back.