Scott Entries are Open for 2012

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
13 / 14 October 2012 : Mt Stromlo : Canberra

You can go direct to the entry site, or if you're new to the Scott, check out a bit of event info (still some graphics to adjust - but you'll get the drift).

If any corporate entries need to get something in quick (before the end of the financial year) then please email CORC to set this up.

Then, start making plans for the big one in 2013 (Canberra's Centenary) when the WEMBO World Solo 24 Hr Champs and the Scott 24 Hr will be on 1 week apart in October. Anyone want to put a bet on RED RACER doing both of them ? Both Solo ?

Last edited:
G'day, a quick question for you all

This is my first attempt at a solo 24hr and was wondering about the tents on offer on the registration page. Is one provided included in the entry price for solo riders, or do I have to purchase one?

Cheers.

Le Matelot

This is my first attempt at a solo 24hr and was wondering about the tents on offer on the registration page. Is one provided included in the entry price for solo riders, or do I have to purchase one?
The Solo entry price gets you an allocated 3m x 3m empty space in the pit row. You can either:
. BYO 3x3 popup - no charge,
. hire an empty 3x3 Hoecker marquee, or
. hire a fitted out 3x3 Hoecker Marquee (power, light, table, 3 chairs)

You can also hire other options such as a hard floor, or a gas heater with 2 cylinders.

All this is part of the "merchandise" section when you enter online.

Last edited:

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
To those with experience, I presume a kitted out tent is the way forwards from an ease perspective..... Are gas heaters recommended too?? or is it usually ok with out them?

Le Matelot

To those with experience, I presume a kitted out tent is the way forwards from an ease perspective..... Are gas heaters recommended too?? or is it usually ok with out them?
From an organiser's perspective ... this is all about making it as easy for you as you want it to be. As a solo, you get an allocated 3x3 space and you can BYO pop-up tent but you would not be allowed to connect to the SFP mains power, nor have your own gas heater in it if you adjoin one of the fitted marquees. This is a thing about fire-ratings for tent materials.

I guess if you're asking about gas heaters as an option, then you are looking at the 3x3 solo marquees - because the 6x6 team marquees already come with a heater and 2 gas cylinders as part of the sticker price.

Historically, most of the solo riders don't get the heater option. It is relatively expensive, although I have seen situations where one pit will get one and all their solo helper mates from adjacent pits will huddle around it. Of course, this might also simply be solo riders wanting their helpers to suffer as much as they do. No gas heater out on track.

The other thing is the weather forecast (I'm not even going to try and guess 3+ months out). Again, historically, we have had -5 to 33 over the last 13 years.

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt

Le Matelot

On the website it says that solos get a 3x6m area (3m fronting the course), do you know if it's really 3x3 or 3x6?
You get a 3x6 area, with the front 3x3 nominally being for your 3x3 popup (or marquee if you hire one). If you have a 3x6 popup, or two 3x3 popups, then you can cover your whole area if you want. What most people do is have a 3x3 fronting the course and then erect a small sleeping tent in the back 3x3 section of their area.

How and when should we tell you if we want to be sited next to a mate who's also soloing?
me - soon (well, by end of August).

Only thing is that if one of you is hiring a marquee, and the other is not, then we can't put you together because the hired marquees are erected in a long row which is internally partitioned. So, you can be together if:
. you are both hiring a solo marquee, or
. you are both not hiring a solo marquee.

macboy

Likes Dirt
climbing per lap?

Just wondering how much climbing there is in the red and blue format? The only time I've ridden Stromlo was the '10 worlds. A mate of mine was planning on doing the Garmin but now that it's binned he's tossing up between this or the Surf Coast. I've reccomended the Scott but he's afraid it may have to much climbing? Any info would be ace.
Cheers.

Le Matelot

Just wondering how much climbing there is in the red and blue format?
The Scott course is all downhill and there is a tailwind the whole way 'round the course :love:

But seriously folks ... The red lap has about 260m of climbing over 16 Km and the Blue lap has about 230m of climbing over 18 Km.

Do both ....

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
Keen to get down to Canberra to watch this and to check it out.... reckon it would be a fun weekend even if you were not riding!

Last edited:

Le Matelot

... reckon it would be a fun weekend even if you were not riding!
Yep - and so do about 5000 other people. There are normally about 6500 to 7000 people on the mountain for the Scott 24Hr weekend, including riders. In 2010, there were 10,500.

Also, there is a Facebook site for the Scott, and if you're looking for a team, or you're a team looking for a rider, that's probably a good place to start.

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Stromlo Looking Great

Was out there today happy-snapping for the CORC Club XC race. The tracks are in the best condition I have ever seen them and a huge amount of work has been done on areas such as the Luge to bring them up to pristine condition. Same for the tracks over the back of the hill which had a few rough sections some time back.

Check out a few photos from today here.

And - if you're one of those people who think that Stromlo is a bit hard for your team to enter the Scott, there were a heap of U13 riders out there today who'd make you change your mind, and a lot of 50+ riders too, who'd do the same.

The carpark was full today, lots of people in the race, but also lots of others out there riding last year's Scott course. Well - we haven't announced this year's course yet - so it had to be last year's :high5:

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Was out there today happy-snapping for the CORC Club XC race. The tracks are in the best condition I have ever seen them and a huge amount of work has been done on areas such as the Luge to bring them up to pristine condition. Same for the tracks over the back of the hill which had a few rough sections some time back.
Yes, the track is in great condition. SFP have done an excellent job of smoothing and improving. The Luge, for instance, is flowing like a fountain, coming down a mountain...

My digits are crossed that the weather gods will be smiling. Can't wait.