Scott Genius 30?

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Apologies for another 'which bike' thread ...

Seriously considering a new bike. What I'm after is a bike suited to endurance events, nice and light, efficient climber but able to descend well too. I think I am probably a bit more XC than all-mountain but would like to be able to do as much as possible with one bike.

I have been looking at a Giant Reign or Trance (2009 and 2010) but recently had a look at a Scott Genius 30 (2009 model at a heavily discounted price) and was very impressed. I would be really interested in people's thoughts about the Scott in particular (I've already read loads about reign and trance) as it compares to those and other bikes at the price point (let's say $3500 to $4500).

I will be able to test ride the genius at manly dam this weekend but no one seems to offer giant test rides (other than around the block). Before laying down this kind of cash I really want to be able to test whichever bike I choose properly first!

This link has a good summary of the genius specs:

http://www.vicmtb.com.au/store/09bikes/scott/genius30.php

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

XCer

Squid
I as owner of the Genuis 30, I cannot say enough that's good about it, best bike I have ever owned, this isn't really a XC bike it's more all mountain, but I use it for XC and love it. I have nothing bad to say about it... Youl will not be sad for it, get the Scott, it's a genius as the name says.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I will be able to test ride the genius at manly dam this weekend but no one seems to offer giant test rides (other than around the block). Before laying down this kind of cash I really want to be able to test whichever bike I choose properly first!
BA will let you test ride a Giant around Manly Dam. It will cost you, but that price will come off the purchase price if you decide to get one.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
XCer - any problems with reliability or performance with the rear shock? Do you use the different settings? How does it descend? Any more details about what you do or don't like? Sorry for so many questions!

BT180

Max Pfaff
From memory my mate paid around $75 or $80 (for a full day) when testing his Reign. Another mate had a Pivot for the whole weekend...

Big Stu

Likes Bikes
genius

hi there,

I am the owner of an 09 Genius 20. Essentially the same as the Genius 30 you are thinking about except with a slightly better spec...

thoughts on the bike... well, it is pretty damn good really, especially for the money you are looking at getting it for. Without writing a whole review; it is pretty bloody light, I use mine for club XC racing in the reduced travel mode and it gets me to the top of c-grade no worries. Next year is b-grade and i'm sure it won't be slowing me down much even though it ain't meant to be a dedicated XC bike.

The 'traclock' lever thing really is a blessing, on the weekends, just flick it to fully open (6-inch) and it is a completely different bike. Not as plush as other 6-inch bikes, probably more in-line with 5-inch bikes when in the 6-inch mode. Out of the saddle grunt pedaling in full-travel mode does induce a bit of bob, not real noticeable in the saddle however. I like efficient bikes and the genius does the job for me. Mine has started to creak in one of the bearings a bit, but any bike may do this after a while. Geometry is spot-on.

No worries with the rear shock so far, but i will admit that it is a bit scary having such an exotic rear shock if something were to ever happen.

There is a review of the 2010 Genius 20 in the latest Australian Mountain Bike magazine, similar to your prospective purchase.

Also consider trek remedy, Ibis Mojo, yeti 575, Pivot mach 5. Giants (reign/trance) are good sturdy machines but common as dog's balls...but if the genius is on special definitely grab that!

Ride them all, decide.

hope this helps,
Stu

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the info Stu - very helpful - and I just went and bought the mag. It gets a good wrap compared with much more expensive bikes!

XCer

Squid
The shock is Scott Tech, never had any issues.. When you get it serviced Scott will swap the shock, I have met the guy who does it, really good. This is a bike that if you get it looked after (or know how to, but get the rear shock done by Scott, it's worth it!) it'll look after you....

My 2c is this is the best bike of it's class, it climbs like a mountain goat on speed, I use it on Wollongong Downhill trails it's not as fast as my friends on the Glories but still damn quick, there is nothing short of massive stuff (Ie 10 foot drops) that it cannot do....

The only thing I would suggest is to read the user manual and get a Scott Shock pump, I have used my pump once because I stuffed it up a bit and it needed a bit more pressure, but that was my fault not the bikes (It rides better than I can)...

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only ever test rode one - it bobbed abit - but I imagine that would be down to not having the settings dialled...

At the Big S you could consider the 2010 Stumpjumper (140mm F+R) 2009 Stumpjumper (120 F+R - if you can still find one around, can't get them for love nor money in canada - the xcm crowd over here loves em), 2010 Enduro (160 F+R), and 2009 Enduro (150 F+R)

In deep SoCal the SC BlurLT and Superlight are well built, but very expensive in Aus

If you are concerned about 'standing out' BC's Banshee Bikes certainly look the part - a Rune being spot on for your needs I think

Hugor

Likes Dirt
A good friend of mine owns one and I have ridden in alot.
Frankly I don't rate it.
I think its an innefficient suspension system with a lockout.
In short, the worst of both worlds.
I don't only want rear suspension to soak up a few hits on the downhills, I also want it to stick to the track on technical ascents.
I found the Genius bobs around like a pogo stick when active on difficult climbs...no surprise really given its a single pivot system.
If you lock it out then you may as well be on a heavy hardtail as it skips and bounces around like one.
I think you should look at a good suspension design that is efficient enough to allow you to climb with it active.
There are plenty...VPP, DW, CVA etc.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
Genius Decision

Apologies for another 'which bike' thread ...

Seriously considering a new bike. What I'm after is a bike suited to endurance events, nice and light, efficient climber but able to descend well too. I think I am probably a bit more XC than all-mountain but would like to be able to do as much as possible with one bike.

I have been looking at a Giant Reign or Trance (2009 and 2010) but recently had a look at a Scott Genius 30 (2009 model at a heavily discounted price) and was very impressed. I would be really interested in people's thoughts about the Scott in particular (I've already read loads about reign and trance) as it compares to those and other bikes at the price point (let's say $3500 to $4500).

This link has a good summary of the genius specs:

http://www.vicmtb.com.au/store/09bikes/scott/genius30.php

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

I have an '08 Genius MC 20 and it's awesome. The carbon mainframe is a work of art, adjustable geometry/travel with the handlebar lever is a godsend. I race mine in XC enduro events and it's perfect. Love it!

Not sure about the 2009 / 2010 models as they have a little more travel (130mm vs 150mm) and a different rear suspension design (horst link vs some sort of single pivot). Although, if you will be getting into some light all-mountain stuff, as well as some XC/Enduro racing the '09 Genius 30 would be an ideal choice as a do-it-all rig.

Also, have you considered the Scott Spark range? Very much an XC race orientated bike, but with a little more travel than some other brands offer in the same genre (110mm rear / 120mm front). My girlfriend is in the market for an new dually and the Spark is at the top of the list. There are some '09 stock still on special around the place.

I guess it just comes down to what you really want out of the bike.... I guess you'll find out on the test ride. Just make sure the shop dials the suspension for your weight/ riding style before you take it out. Good Luck.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I have an '08 Genius MC40 and agree with the above owners just about 100% - love it. :D (Having said that, this is my first "real" MTB so take that for what it's worth :eek: )

Interestingly, the rear shock has just "blown" i.e. dripping fluid on the garage floor. Dropped it in to the shop this morning and expecting it back early next week. Will be interesting to see the cost. The shop guy is going to see if they can swing it under warranty which would be great and, frankly, unexpected.

It's had 14 months of use and abuse and I am around 95kg with camelbak so I don't think it's too disappointing. Missing Thursday's dirt crits is a bummer though :rolleyes:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Unsuprisingly, warranty was a no-show for the shock. It needs to be serviced every 12 months for the warranty to be valid anyway, and since that's the cost of the fix then it's a moot point anyway :) No biggie.
It will be around $200, btw.

Beej1

Owner of an 07 Genius MC-50. Horst link 130mm rear end.

I really love it, and find the 3-mode shock to be so useful I can't imagine living without it. It's a hardtail, short travel XC and med travel trail bike in one. I consider the last 2 to kinda be one bike, so I always think of it as 2 bikes in one.

I've had the shock serviced twice in that time, and it's really held up well. Always holds air and the damping is spot on. In the second service, it was discovered there was a hairline crack in the can. New one cost a whopping $15. LBS mech said an PR23 can costs much more, and that shock parts in general for the DT Swiss/Scott Shocks (which are on the Spark, Genius and Ransom) are cheaper than Rockshox/Fox, but there's just parts per shock and they're more complex in operation so they cost more to service.

It performed perfectly in both Scott 24hrs I used it in. One teammate who was riding a Trek Fuel switched to mine for a lap to see what it was like. He arrived back at the tent after a red lap, lay the bike down and dry humped it while moaning "I'm in love".

The 50 was the bottom of the line alloy model that year, but I liked the colour scheme the most plus it was all I could afford. I've lightened it here and there but it could go way lighter. From memory the frame itself was only 300 - 500g heavier than the carbon version.

Having said all that, I will be selling it soon. While it's awesome having 2 bikes in one, I actually want something new simply because I always want something new. So I'll be getting 2 bikes to replace it - something bigger (160mm) and something lighter (29er softtail).