Scott mc 30 and mc 40 opinions...

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
Yes the sram is good, i prefer them than shimano anyway.
The genius's are awsome trail bikes, definately a good bike.

bg851

Likes Bikes
looking at getting this

http://www.bikes.com.au/p/370641/2008-scott-genius-mc-30.html

or the mc 40

who has one and what do you think ? is the Sram any good ??? or stick to shimano... ???
Yes! I have an MC30, although mine is the carbon frame, perhaps they changed it this year?? I've had mine 12 months. Sounds like the same spec everything else?
Basically, its a pretty nice bike, BUT it took a while to make it a nice bike......

firstly, it comes with a quick release seat clamp?? It seems Scott are doing this with a lot of there bikes. Mine wouldnt stop slipping until I got a proper one. And cause its a 36.8 pole, there arn't many after market options.

I also had a heap of problems with the rear shock. It would allways leak air, causing it to bottom out badly all the time. I would allways be hitting cranks and pedals etc. (it also seems to have a pretty low bottom bracket height?) It went back twice in 6 months. Basically dont take any notice of the pressures the manual says, set it up by measuring sag....

As for the Sram......well I guess thats also a personal opinion, but it was my first bike with Sram, and I have just built up a new hardtail with Shimano, so I guess there is your answer? I dont really like the shifters, but thats a personal choice, but the rear mech has worn a lot? The pivots have a huge amount of slop in them, and did so quite quickly, so when you shift gears, it has to take up a lot of the slop before shifting cogs? As for the cranks, well they lasted even less time? Well, I guess maybe not the cranks, but the bottom bracket. It was really sloppy after about 3 months, less than 1000km. But you cannot put any other bottom bracket in it, only a truvativ will fit due to the taper in the cranks. I bought a LX crankset and have had no troubles, and have had an XT groupset on another bike with outboard bearings that are over 2 years old with no problems at all.
Oh, the brakes are AWESOME. Have never had to touch them, cant even say I have cleaned the pads or anything, very happy with them.
The forks are great too.
I'm no sure what purpose you are buying the bike for, but its a great allround bike. I have raced it a few times, but its a bit of a handful in the tight stuff, it seems really long, plus with big wide bars....but I guess its not a race bike is it? Hope this helps?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
hi, thanks for your comments great help,

would you buy the same this year , considering your experience on the bike ?? possibly, they have fixed the issue's you found...

would you consider the mc 40 given its a mix of shimano lx and xt with no sram, however brakes not as good...ie juicy 3.5 not 5's ??

intention is to race 8 hr's plus 100 ker enduro's

have done the past few years of four hour event's and the half fling for past three years...

can you recommend an alternative in similar price range ???

Viv92

Eats Squid

would you buy the same this year , considering your experience on the bike ?? possibly, they have fixed the issue's you found...

would you consider the mc 40 given its a mix of shimano lx and xt with no sram, however brakes not as good...ie juicy 3.5 not 5's ??

have done the past few years of four hour event's and the half fling for past three years...

The fact it has no SRAM is bad. Maybe the last guy got unlucky with his stuff or something, because it's seems a lot more popular than Shimano these days. My SRAM stuff doesn't have any of the durability problems mentioned above and shifts far better than shimano. Also the thumb only shifting is great.

BTW Juicy 3.5's don't exists, it's Juicy 3's. :) 3's and 5's are both great brakes. I've got Juicy's and they are great nothing bad to say.

Rest I can't comment.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The fact it has no SRAM is bad. Maybe the last guy got unlucky with his stuff or something, because it's seems a lot more popular than Shimano these days. My SRAM stuff doesn't have any of the durability problems mentioned above and shifts far better than shimano. Also the thumb only shifting is great.
You have to be kidding right?

SRAM X0 and X9 stuff usd to have the nickname Xpensive and Xplode. It's still the case that if you want durability get Shimano stuff.

bg851

Likes Bikes

To be honest, I probably wouldnt. More because I thought riding a long travel bike would be better for where I ride, but to be honest, probably 80% of the time, I ride the forks with the 100mm travel and the rear shock on the half travel? I previously had Trek Fuel, I like the Scott better than the Trek, but the Trek had cheaper suspension, brakes etc, so felt worse?
If I were to buy again, I would probably buy a normal 100mm travel bike. When the Scott has the forks on 120 or 140mm, it steers like a bus, but again, thats more a personal thing on how I like the bike to feel.

If you really want a bike with longer travel suspension, yeah, perhaps the MC 40 would be better value, but the price for them both you have shown looks pretty good?
The only other bike I have really ridden in a similar price range was the Merida, i think it was the AM3000D?? My brother had one, it felt pretty much the same, similar price, travel etc, but Fox shock.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Yes! I have an MC30, although mine is the carbon frame, perhaps they changed it this year?? I've had mine 12 months. Sounds like the same spec everything else?
Basically, its a pretty nice bike, BUT it took a while to make it a nice bike......

firstly, it comes with a quick release seat clamp?? It seems Scott are doing this with a lot of there bikes. Mine wouldnt stop slipping until I got a proper one. And cause its a 36.8 pole, there arn't many after market options.

I also had a heap of problems with the rear shock. It would allways leak air, causing it to bottom out badly all the time. I would allways be hitting cranks and pedals etc. (it also seems to have a pretty low bottom bracket height?) It went back twice in 6 months. Basically dont take any notice of the pressures the manual says, set it up by measuring sag....
I second those sentiments. I bent a seat collar clamp trying to get it tight enough to stop the pole slipping. I also had ghost shifting issues and well, broke a seat stay assembly. I bought a 3rd party seat collar from the UK eventually. My shock failed barely 2 weeks after owning it, and I think I had it in the shop at least once outside that. My mate had to have his rebuilt on a semi regular basis.

The list of woes I've seen regularly on the MC's

* Continually failing shocks
* Broken chain stays
* Broken Seat Stays
* Ghost shifting issues.

To top it off, everyone I've spoken to who raced their MC 'X', ran their fork at 100mm. I, and others seemed to find it handled like a boat otherwise unless you were well, trail riding to which it wasn't especially suited due to it's light weight nature (you broke it...) It may be resolved now but you also didn't get a replaceable hanger, which meant a $300+ new seat stay assembly if you did yank it off

My general feeling... the MC could have been a really nice bike but was only ever 90% engineered and I felt just had a long list details missing that made up the other 10%. but I loved it when I bought it and probably would make an excellent bike for what you want it for. As time wore on, I was sick of it being in the shop every 2nd week with something else wrong.

*shrug* YMMV

Cheers
Gonz

Stubags

Likes Bikes
I second those sentiments.

My general feeling... the MC could have been a really nice bike but was only ever 90% engineered and I felt just had a long list details missing that made up the other 10%. but I loved it when I bought it and probably would make an excellent bike for what you want it for. As time wore on, I was sick of it being in the shop every 2nd week with something else wrong.

*shrug* YMMV

Cheers
Gonz
I totally agree with these coments.

I've had my Genius for a few years. It came nicely spec'd running Shimano XT drivetrain, XT wheels and Manitou Blacks. It has the potential to be a do everything bike but it spends way too much time out of action with faults. I've cracked the frame (above the bottle cage bose which I am told is a comon problem) I've blown up the rear shock twice and I am only getting about 6 months out of the undersized bearings.

'can you recommend an alternative in similar price range ???'

I'm tossing up between the Giant Anthem and the Trance for my next bike :)

rideabike

Likes Bikes
I own a 2007 MC50 - Model down from the MC40 which Ive had for around 7 months. Bought it as an all rounder but have ended up racing XC and Enduros on it. I think it's a great enduro and xc bike for the price.

2 weeks after I bought it I blew the rear shock but a week and a half later got it back and was back in business. (All covered by warranty). They said it hadnt been set up properly by the lbs.

That is the only mechanical issue ive had with the bike and since then it has been through a few Sunday xc races, two 24Hr races and gets at least 50km a week in weekend riding with no problems whatsoever.

Regarding the Shimano vs Sram, mine came with a mix of lx/xt componentry but after having the opportunity to pick up some X0 running gear cheaply it now runs full Sram except for the front deraliuer. I prefer the Sram to what was on there as I like it's responsiveness but I guess it's just personal.

Might be worth finding out if they have fixed up some of the other issues noted by posters for the 2008 models.

I also had the seat sliding issue but just needed to use some manpower and now works fine.

Would also recomend having a look at the trance/anthem as well as some second hand duallies in the hope of getting more bang for your buck.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
after visiting 8 different shops on the weekend, and getting analysis paralysis....

i've ordered the MC-30 from my local and trusted lbs, Endeavour Cycles at Gymea....

thanks all, for your comments and opinions...

Viv92

Eats Squid
You have to be kidding right?

SRAM X0 and X9 stuff usd to have the nickname Xpensive and Xplode. It's still the case that if you want durability get Shimano stuff.
It's not that expensive, mine has been pretty lucky with regards to getting knocked though. Weirdly enough the only time my anything has come close to getting it was on an uphill switch back on a nice easy trail ride. The hanger bent but the mech is fine. It's all in great nick other than one scratch from the fall.

Corty

Likes Dirt
I've had my MC-50 for almost 2 years and done a few XC races and 24's on it - besides heaps of trail rides. Like others have said, ignore the suggested rear shock settings or you'll constantly be hitting your cranks, pedals and chain rings on stuff. Also talking to the official Scott mechanic at last year's Scott 24hr (plug :D) he recommended putting RedRum on the shock seal after every wash or so - it does of course cop a fair amount of crud in its location.

In terms of bending/breaking the rear hangar, I believe Grip can (if he hasn't already) mod the rear triangle to fit a Giant or similar hangar bracket. Open to correction of course here Grip :eek:

Seat clamp bolt has been suggested as being simply a little to long for the purpose and can be filed down a few mm. I personally just crank the $h!t of it and then re-adjust as required.

Shimano vs Sram is just a whole can'o'worms (read jihad) I'm not gunna get into besides the fact that Shimano chains suck.period.

Otherwise, for the $$$ it's a great bike with the fork set at 100mm, just bin the Scott tyres!

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
picked up the mc30 from Endeavour Cycles this afternoon...and wasted no time doing 30km in the national park... :D:D:D

bike was great....just the rider needs to adjust the cleat tension on pedals so he dosent get locked in soo often...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yes have the seat post slipage issues which will somehow sort out...but that is small matter :)

just have to learn how to set the shocks right and the seat post for the 4hour next weekend...and god forbid..the solo 24 in a month... :eek::eek::eek:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
just have to learn how to set the shocks right and the seat post for the 4hour next weekend...and god forbid..the solo 24 in a month... :eek::eek::eek:
for the seat post, get yourself one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2476

in a 38.5, and maybe try some Ritchey torque grease. Meant for carbon components by I can't see why it wouldn't work on an alloy post (if you got the 30, it'd be carbon frame anyway. The clamp looks much blingier, is a little sturdier, and will help you get a better grip around the post. I bent my generic clamp getting it tight enough

as for the shock, you might want to do some playing, but I *think* from memory I had the shock setup with +5 psi more than the book in the negative , and -5psi less than the book in the positive chamber. This gives you a little less "break away" force (ie takes the small bumps better) and an overall plusher ride.

Have fun! and see you next weekend.

Cheers
Gonz

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
thanks dude, will have a look at that site, plus read the book a bit....first dually so shock stuff is all new :)

its not a carbon frame...alloy in Red so it goes fast... :D:D:D

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
he recommended putting RedRum on the shock seal after every wash or so - it does of course cop a fair amount of crud in its location.
It is indeed in the line of fire isnt it. Lucky it is a pull shock and is somewhat protected but you could quite easily do something like this;

I mean your not going to get awards for good looks but at least your shock is protected right?

bg851

Likes Bikes
picked up the mc30 from Endeavour Cycles this afternoon...and wasted no time doing 30km in the national park... :D:D:D

bike was great....just the rider needs to adjust the cleat tension on pedals so he dosent get locked in soo often...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yes have the seat post slipage issues which will somehow sort out...but that is small matter :)

Hey I'm glad you like it!
As for the suspension, dont even both reading the book. When you take it back to Endeavour for your first service, get Bongo to spend 20 min measuring sag with you, write down the pressures, but so you know where your at?

The seatpole.......yeah, might be a small issue now, but it will crack you after a while. Did it come with a quick release one??? Get George to order you a proper clamp, after he did that with mine I didnt have any more problems?

Good luck with it!

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Hey I'm glad you like it!
As for the suspension, dont even both reading the book. When you take it back to Endeavour for your first service, get Bongo to spend 20 min measuring sag with you, write down the pressures, but so you know where your at?

The seatpole.......yeah, might be a small issue now, but it will crack you after a while. Did it come with a quick release one??? Get George to order you a proper clamp, after he did that with mine I didnt have any more problems?

Good luck with it!

yer its got quick release one.....

have NFI on the shock stuff....and they didnt show me how to adjust it etc.....so flying blind.... :eek::eek: