Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's official. I rammed the final nail in my

Ti project:
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=122603

last night.

Jing came around to drop off my Scott Scale frame and fork which he sold to me last week. We took off his parts and whacked on what we could off the Ti bike.

The Scale frame uses full jacket housing all the way (nice) and I've decided not to use the funky lightweight alligator/nokon style cabling from the Ti, but instead settle for normal housings. I'm also going to need a seatpost + clamp as the Scale uses a strange size. Jing's letting me borrow his one in the meantime. Apart from that I have to get the LBS to help me remove and replace crown races but after that I'll be ready to roll.

The Fizik Alliante XM saddle I bought for the Reign will go on this bike for more comfort. And for once I didn't weigh anything. I didn't weigh the frame, the Truvative BB... nothing! I'm going to try my best to curb the weenie and stay functional on this build.

What no clip in pedals?! Tough titties!

Nice touch: These little dudes support full cable housing on top tube.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LATEST PICTURE: 09/SEPTEMBER/08

SPECS:
Ti:
------------------------------------------
Bottom bracket: Truvativ with crank bolts 203g
Brake lever: Hope Mono Mini (736g)
Brake: Hope Mono Mini 160mm Floating Rear
Hope Mono Mini 140mm Floating Rear
--Ti Hope bolt kit
--Ti rotor bolts x 12 (18g)
--Disc Brake Titanium Bolts Upgrade Kit
Cables: Alligator i-LINK Ultralight Cable Set
Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-32 (223g)
Chain: KMC SuperLite X9SL 9 Speed Chain Hollow Pin
--Sram powerlink connector (2g)
Crankset: KCNC (539g)
Frame: Scott Scale 40
-- Powdercoated by Gripsport
--Neoprene chainstay protector (17g)
--Ti watercage bolts x 2 (3g)
Fork: Fox 32 F100RL
Front derailleur: Shimano XTR M971 (156g)
Grips: Titec foam (19g)
Handlebar: Syntace Duraflite Carbon 25.4mm 580mm (127g)
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1 Ti (300g)
Quick Releases: KCNC Skewers (45g)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Shadow M972 long cage (181g)
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Flite Kit Carbonio (169g)
Seatpost: Thomson masterpiece (191g)
Seatpost clamp KCNC 34.9mm (24g)
Shifters: Shimano XTR M970 (250g)
Stem: Syntace Stem (93g)
-- Ti bolt kit
Tyre: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution 26x2.1 (497g/503g)
Tubes: Maxxis flyweight x 2 (100g/97g)
Maxxis flyweight rim tape x 2 (15g/14g)
Wheelset: Mavic 717/Hope Pro 2/Revolution spokes (1620g)
-----------------------------------------
Total Weight: 9.72kg

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
i will let you weigh my scale instead. will be a good build once finished. it will be good to have a serious XC in the fleet
^^ Ouch. He might just have you there Justin!

Crown races are fairly easy to remove man. Using a very small screwdriver, gently work your way around the race taping the driver in and prying it up. Be careful and gentle as you dont want to scratch your crowns. Many forks have a notch that enables you to 'chisel' the crown race out anyways, avoiding those accidental scratches. Might be an idea to wrap your fork in a towel as you tend to be rotating it a bit too on the work bench.

I love the cable routes on the Scale though. The sooner more bikes have those, the better.

Just curious about those cranks though. KCNC seems to be this real 'weight weenie' job but those cracks look fairly sturdy. What is the verdict?

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Matt, looking forward to weighing your Scale tomorrow night! (can I scratch it?!).

Not sure about the cranks Ango, not really ridden them yet.

I've finished setting up the bike, she's fast! That's for sure.

There's an annoying mouse like squeek coming from the rear cassette. I'll have to take it off to inspect what it is exactly. I forgot to buy derailleur cabling and since I'm an impatient fucker I used the lightweight crap I had lying around (it doesn't fit too well in the Scott's cable clamps). The bars I have at 580mm are way too narrow for my liking and I absolutely hate the foam grips. I'll look at getting some wider bars, most likely still a flat bar too.

Some pics:

10.02kg's.

Yummy Ti rotor bolts.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn. Been after that fork for some time...!
Looks great mate. Hopefully the BB isn't cut at a 45 degree angle like the last one :D
Now, that saddle...

(Oh, and put the tool tray on your workstand up at the top.
Stops you collecting pedals on it, and also places the tools in a better position to reach.
I have a Minoura stand, and it works fine at the top (I have 2 tool trays on it, too, and a tray to hold bigger tools and triple hook, too!))

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is it not 10.02 not 10.2? which is well. 10?
Oh shit! Well spotted! :)

Damn. Been after that fork for some time...!
Now, that saddle... (Oh, and put the tool tray on your workstand up at the top)
Ah thanks for the adivce on the tool tray. Will give that a go. And the saddle, yes it's both ugly AND very heavy but it's meant to be super comfy. I'll at least give it a go before putting my Selle SLR on it. :)

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh shit! Well spotted! :)

Ah thanks for the adivce on the tool tray. Will give that a go. And the saddle, yes it's both ugly AND very heavy but it's meant to be super comfy. I'll at least give it a go before putting my Selle SLR on it. :)
You have a Selle Italia SLR and it's not on the bike?
Shame on you Mr Fox... You know to forego comfort over bling, my friend ;)
Actually, I find them way more comfy than sofa saddles... especially after the first half hour.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah the Selle SLR is a comfy saddle. I quite like it. I have one on the single speed and one from the Ti project too. It's just that I blew cash on the Fizik and feel it's a bit wasted. Maybe I'll chuck it up on eBay. I agree 100% that the SLR is made for this bike. Would bring the weight down to 9.90kg's too :D

H

>Henry

I take it the Ti frame has been hung on the wall as a piece of art.
I dont think the gold is going to work to well in this one, of course your the designer but do we get any hints of the progression ahead? P.S Please axe the seatclamp! Looks ricey (in your native JDM speak) keep it nice and cleaaan.

EDIT:
I'm going to try my best to curb the weenie and stay functional on this build.
It's the lightest hardtail frame on the market! F*ck it!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorday

Eats Squid
Looking good Mr. Fox (referring to the bike not you that is :eek::eek:)
Anyway just making sure you got a theme going for this thing, you do have a theme, don't you?:confused:
;)

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking good Mr. Fox (referring to the bike not you that is :eek::eek:)
Anyway just making sure you got a theme going for this thing, you do have a theme, don't you?:confused:
;)
I swear you need a custom title, how does "fashion police" sound?

Looking hot man.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
declan! - the pedals I have on there are lighter than XTR spd's. Trust me as I have some XTR SPD's :)

PS: I HATE CLIP IN PEDALS! There. Said it, done :)

And regarding the fashion police. Apart from swapping out the gold KCNC clamps from Suga's bike I am NOT going to be blinging this bike!!!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
those cable guides are bloody brilliant. shit like that has gotta be made international standard. it's a pain in the a maintaining cables through winter and wet weather riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.