Scott Spark Linkage: Does it work?

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys

I'm just having a look around at some new bike options and have had the Scott Spark put in front of me. http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/233969008/bike-spark-720-l/

My last 2 bikes have been 100mm floating pivot designs i.e. Giant Anthem 26er and Santa Cruz Blur XCC 650B conversion. I've wanted a longer travel bike now I have a hardtail in the shed again.

The linkage setup on the Scott just seems like a simple single pivot design and I'm wondering if its anywhere near as efficient or confidence inspriing as I have found VPP or does the tri lock system make up for any misgivings?

The bike is intended as my XC/Trail bike as I've now got the 27.5 Hardtail for serious race duties.

Opinions will be valued and if you are looking for a Carbon Blur XC let me know.

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's just another faux-bar design. You should feel the suspension stiffen up a bit under braking. Not lock-out entirely, just not feel as plush while your finger's on the rear brake lever.

It's not a huge deal, not a deal breaker. But after riding virtual pivot bikes that are fully active under brakes you might not be so impressed. Whether it effects race times is an entirely different question.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Thanks Slippy. I'm trying to get a test ride on one to see how it compares. That VPP on the Santa Cruz is excellent but I can justify paying the Santa Cruz price for the next bike!

driftking

Wheel size expert
After coming off a giant and onto my commencal for downhill. I can notice the stiffening under braking however its only in those crazy rough sections when your on the brakes while trying to navigate a rock garden. That said do I miss the giants activity not really, it doesn't really matter to much to me at all, it was nice to have and sure it would be nice if the commencal was more active but on the flip side its encouraged me to stay off the brakes and it sort of gives you an actual measurable reason not just the mental game, it hasn't slowed me down if anything I'm faster.. Add in the worldcup wins and title wins the athertons had on the bike I knew there was no way it would make a measurable difference, again typical rider over bike scenario for me.

Aside from rock gardens, the other times like braking into corners or even just general rough braking I don't notice it at all iv actually only ever noticed it on one local rock garden which is very steep and rough when I was on the brakes the whole time locked up. Its very unnoticeable for me.

I guess for downhill its probably much more obvious given the terrain but its not a deal breaker at least for me it wasn't.

Bottom line it wont be an issue if your not a rider who sits on the brakes all day. If you are a timid rider who is always dragging the brakes it may not be the best option.

That said take that with a massive grain of salt as I am talking about downhill and a downhill bike. Although the giant did run the maestro and commencal the linkage driven single pivot.