Scott voltage FR

james1

Likes Dirt
Hi,
Have been considering a new-used bike and with so many options it can be quite hard.
The bikes considering are Scott voltage FR or Scott Gambler. I'm leaning towards the voltage due to it being my freerideable and 'poppy' on the track.
But If there is any other suggestions...
And if anyone is thinking of selling one please give me a PM or a post
Im now on a 2010 giant faith (which may soon be forsale)
thanks for any help

leadz

Likes Bikes
Hi,
Have been considering a new-used bike and with so many options it can be quite hard.
The bikes considering are Scott voltage FR or Scott Gambler. I'm leaning towards the voltage due to it being my freerideable and 'poppy' on the track.
thanks for any help
Hey james,

Also look at specialized big hit i have one for a year now still going strong!!! it loves to jump and awesome at downhill a very playful rig.

cheers leadz..

Attachments

Last edited:

mikedh

Likes Bikes
I have an unused 2010 Scott Voltage FR10 Long w/ extra dropouts, short shock mounts, manuals and the works. I took the Elixir R's and installed 2011 Codes.

I'm on the fence about selling it - still trying to determine if arguing with my wife is worth a second FR bike. PM me if interested.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Hi,
thanks for any help

Whats wrong with the 2010 Faith? I've heard good things about them?

james1

Likes Dirt
Its a great bike but the 2 things wrong are
Its a medium size frame and im 6 foot 1, so on the smaller side
and the forks being air, i dont like the feel, hard to explain (IMO) so was going to get some fox van 180 but at over $1000 i thought maybe look at a new bike as a option.

DH - Rookie

Likes Bikes
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?231870-SCOTT-Voltage-FR-The-sexiest-bike-around.
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=81521&pagenum=428

^^ 400+ pages exclusively devoted to the SCOTT Voltage FR. Not convinced, I have one and love it. Scott quality and design is top-notch, and even though I will never reach the full-capability of the Voltage, I rocked my Aspect (which is a cheaper MTB hardtail) over everything before it. It took some big crashes, flips and downtube-into-tree impacts and is still going strong.

Just saying that it won't let you down. Ever.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Its a great bike but the 2 things wrong are
Its a medium size frame and im 6 foot 1, so on the smaller side
and the forks being air, i dont like the feel, hard to explain (IMO) so was going to get some fox van 180 but at over $1000 i thought maybe look at a new bike as a option.
Yeah, size wouldn't suit you then.
domains aren't air though :)

Spotty

Likes Dirt
There is totem solo airs on the bike
Jaydwagz was referring to his bighit for sale.

+1 for the Bighit anyway, a mate has one and is a poppy, yet stable bike for its intended purpose. Between the faith and the voltage, (Given your circustances), get the voltage.

james1

Likes Dirt
I have decided on the voltage, but with the 2010 it has 160mm forks, is this a huge difference between the 2011 180mm fork?
And again if anyone has one they are thinking of selling, please PM me :)
thanks for the help guys

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
They have slightly tweaked the frame geometry from 2010 model to 2011 so that the newer models have a slacker head angle and lower BB when paired up with 180mm forks or bigger.

If you are planning on running travel at 160mm or shorter then the 2010 frame is fine, if you were wanting to push it more in DH direction with 180mm or 200mm forks then you may want to try get your hands on a 2011 or newer, but certainly wont be the end of the world if you cant.

I own a 2010 Voltage FR and find the 160mm Van 36's a little undersized when running the rear in 180mm and hitting more DH type stuff so have swapped them out for a set of 66's at moment. Depends on what type of trails you are going to be riding, the 36's are an awesome fork and the bike is alot of fun especially when the rear is also set at 160mm. Having test ridden the 2010 Giant Faith in Whistler I think the suspension design is better suited to DH type riding than the Voltage but not as easy to throw around and boost off lips with, but that is just my opinion. Though having said that Floriane Pugin did extremely well racing the World Cup series this year on a custom Voltage DH finishing 2nd over all in Elite Woman.

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
In terms of forks I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. If you feel that an extra few milimetres is necesary then it might be better to get something with more travel. I was in a similar position, I was looking at the 2010 FR20 and the 2011 version. I chose the 2011 version as I thought the extra travel might help me.

In the end I would say that its personal preference and finding what feels right for you.

james1

Likes Dirt
Thanks
So how are you finding your voltage if you don't mind me asking? Does the fr20 have any weak stock components?
thanks for the help guys

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
Thanks
So how are you finding your voltage if you don't mind me asking? Does the fr20 have any weak stock components?
thanks for the help guys
Since bringing it home I haven't been able to ride. But I've had a good look over it and it feels very solid. And as a little surprise, my voltage Came with Boxxer forks instead of Domains, they're a little lighter so it was a nice surprise. The frame design is very nice and I am yet to find something that feels weak. I've ridden the 2010 model before though and again, it felt really strong and pretty maneuverable.

Good luck with yours, they're great bikes :biggrin: