"Scrap bike helmet law" says health expert

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do you think that making helmets optional will increase the number of people cycling?
No. I think advertising a scheme that offers a free helmet with every new bike sale will encourage more people to ride bikes. I say that because people will always pay attention when you say you get something for free. If you were offered the same bike for the same price in two stores but one offered a free helmet you would take that option. It wouldn't necesarliy be for you to use the helmet but you'd get the extra value for your money.

If the law was relaxed and you don't need to wear a helmet, would it soon be a thing of the past to wear a helmet while racing XC or doing a dirt jump comp or doing some weekend runs?
Another side of the coin is to question whether a normal helmet that you wear riding XC or road riding is the helmet that should be mandatory. You have to wonder if the compulsory law of wearing a helmet while riding a bike should be for a full face helmet......................

Last edited:

Sic

Likes Dirt
Like I said earlier the Hire bike scheme will never get off the ground with compulsory helmet laws.

It means you have to plan to hire a bike in advance by bringing a helmet or risk a fine so people who need to go medium distances within the CBD unexpectedly wont use the bikes.

The whole point of the hire scheme is to grab the sometime and spontaneous user and encourage them to use bikes which could in turn get them riding more in other circumstances as well. People will not want to carry a helmet in case they 'spontaneously' want to hire a bike.

I think for medium length journeys within the CDB the hire scheme would certainly pick up more if the helmet laws were scrapped.

Sic

Likes Dirt
[QUOTE If the law was relaxed and you don't need to wear a helmet, would it soon be a thing of the past to wear a helmet while racing XC or doing a dirt jump comp or doing some weekend runs?[/QUOTE]

Maybe for some people but plenty of people choose to do that now. You cant legislate against stupidity. If teh replies in this thread are anything to go by the majority of people who do serious bike riding (i.e the people who are on this forum) would still wear a helmet even if there was no law making it mandatory.

If you didnt have to wear a seat belt by law would you? I would but there are people who dont regardless of the risk and that is a far more riskier proposition than not wearing a helmet on a bike for a short cruise.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I read a report (trying to find online) where a researcher studied the distances kept by cars from cyclists when cyclists wore helmets vs when they didnt...

Motorists gave more room when cyclists had no helmet (and more room to females than males!). They concluded that this MAY reduce the chance of a crash. Obviously the problem of not wearing a helmet becomes apparent if and when you do actually crash...
I read something similar,

heres a glimpse

[/QUOTE]
Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists

Although you might not want to leave your protective gear at home, just know that if you do, drivers will be a lot more scared of hitting you.

Spring is in full swing now, and a number of the straphangers (read: subway riders) in New York City, as well as citizens in other locales, are getting new tubes and tires and dragging their bikes out of storage. Bicycle riding is the skill you reportedly never forget, but there's a raging debate about whether or not you should forget your helmet when you hop on your two-wheeler.

Last September a plucky psychologist at the University of Bath in England announced the results of a study in which he played both researcher and guinea pig. An avid cyclist, Ian Walker had heard several complaints from fellow riders that wearing a helmet seemed to result in bike riders receiving far less room to maneuver—effectively increasing the chances of an accident. So, Walker attached ultrasonic sensors to his bike and rode around Bath, allowing 2,300 vehicles to overtake him while he was either helmeted or naked-headed. In the process, he was actually contacted by a truck and a bus, both while helmeted—though, miraculously, he did not fall off his bike either time.

His findings, published in the March 2007 issue of Accident Analysis & Prevention, state that when Walker wore a helmet drivers typically drove an average of 3.35 inches closer to his bike than when his noggin wasn't covered. But, if he wore a wig of long, brown locks—appearing to be a woman from behind—he was granted 2.2 inches more room to ride.

"The implication," Walker says, "is that any protection helmets give is canceled out by other mechanisms, such as riders possibly taking more risks and/or changes in how other road users behave towards cyclists." The extra leeway granted to him when he pretended to be a woman, he explains, could result from several factors, including drivers' perceptions that members of the fairer sex are less capable riders, more frail or just less frequent bikers than men.

Randy Swart, founder of the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute (BHSI), says that studies such as Walker's run the risk of misleading cyclists as to the effectiveness of helmets. "The cars were giving him, on average, a very wide passing clearance already," he explains, noting that most vehicles typically stayed well over three feet from the bikes, rendering the 3.35-inch discrepancy to be insignificant. "If you really want the greatest passing distance, you should wobble down the road," looking as inept as possible, he adds.

Walker actually reanalyzed his data recently to counter this line of reasoning. "I assessed the number of vehicles coming within one meter [roughly 3.3 feet] of the rider, on the principle that these are the ones that pose a risk," he says. "There were 23 percent more vehicles within this one-meter danger zone when a helmet was worn, suggesting a real risk."

Dorothy Robinson, a patron of the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation and a senior statistician at the University of New England in Armidale, Australia, published a 2006 review article in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) about regions in Australia, New Zealand and Canada that introduced legislation that spurred an over 40 percent increase in bicycle helmet use among their populaces. The newly instituted laws, she found, did not have a significant effect on bicycle accidents resulting in head injuries, the primary purpose of the gear. Her conclusion was "helmets are not designed for forces often encountered in collisions with motor vehicles" as well as that they "may encourage cyclists to take more risks or motorists to take less care when they encounter cyclists."

Coincidentally, around the same time as Walker announced his results, New York City released a report on bicycle deaths and injuries: 225 cyclists died between 1996 and 2005 on New York streets; 97 percent of them were not wearing helmets. Of these deaths, 58 percent are known to involve head injury, but the actual number could be as high as 80 percent. Comparing the helmet to a seat belt in a car, Swart of the BHSI says, "When you do have that crash, you better have it on."

Walker, whose much-publicized report may inspire a new generation of bareheaded riders, won't make any specific recommendations to other cyclists (and neither will Scientific American), though he notes that when it comes to riding in traffic, motorists are the real problem. "If people read the research and decide a helmet makes them safer, they should wear one; if they read the research and decide it doesn't, perhaps they don't need to," Walker says, adding the caveat, "But they do need to read the research!" And watch out for cars.

[/QUOTE]

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
No. I think advertising a scheme that offers a free helmet with every new bike sale will encourage more people to ride bikes. I say that because people will always pay attention when you say you get something for free. If you were offered the same bike for the same price in two stores but one offered a free helmet you would take that option. It wouldn't necesarliy be for you to use the helmet but you'd get the extra value for your money.

Eh? What exactly are you trying to say? People will most likely go to bike shop B if it offered something free over the other one? Isn't that just common sense?

If the law was relaxed and you don't need to wear a helmet, would it soon be a thing of the past to wear a helmet while racing XC or doing a dirt jump comp or doing some weekend runs?
Another side of the coin is to question whether a normal helmet that you wear riding XC or road riding is the helmet that should be mandatory. You have to wonder if the compulsory law of wearing a helmet while riding a bike should be for a full face helmet......................
Won't happen. MTBA wouldn't allow you participate in the race, same goes for organisers for KOD jump comps in UK. As for runs, not once during 5 years of living in europe did I see anyone riding DH without a lid same goes for xc.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
N
How is racing, dirt jumping or doing runs relevant to the discussion?

Guess what? There are currently no laws that dictate you have to wear a helmet riding off road (and lets face it not many of the trail we do ride have legitimacy either). Mandatory helmet laws cover riding on road and bike paths.

Racing is covered by the oranganisers rules and by laws and often this would be driven by their insurance broker.

Dirt jumping and weekend runs is covered by common sense.

In countries that don't have mandatory helmet laws you don't see racers and Dhers hitting up the trails sans helmets. It's a silly conclusion.

However I'll often strap my full face to my hydra pack and ride up to the top. I have judged that the odds of me being involved in an accident that leave me with a serious head injury as I slowly plod my way up the quiet dirt rd is low enough to take that risk.
Unfortunately, as that is a public road it's currently against the law and I also run the risk of bringing the ire of the police on to myself too.

Last edited:

Lukas

Likes Dirt
I think advertising a scheme that offers a free helmet with every new bike sale will encourage more people to ride bikes.
Luckily, there is no free bike with every new helmet purchase. bikers will be everywhere... :)

void

Likes Bikes
Guess what? There are currently no laws that dictate you have to wear a helmet riding off road (and lets face it not many of the trail we do ride have legitimacy either). Mandatory helmet laws cover riding on road and bike paths.
In QLD you are required by Law to wear a hlemt in a recreation area.. GAP Creek, Bunya, Daisy etc.. and I would not hesitate to say that an equivalent law exists in NSW/VIC.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
In QLD you are required by Law to wear a hlemt in a recreation area.. GAP Creek, Bunya, Daisy etc.. and I would not hesitate to say that an equivalent law exists in NSW/VIC.
You sure this isn't individual land managers rules? A few quick google searches hasn't brought anything up, have you got a link to the piece of legislation?

Mark S

Likes Dirt
OK. The theme of this thread seems to be getting more people riding. This has been tossed around on many forums - repeal the helmet laws, build better bike paths, workplaces should cater for bike storage and have showers etc, etc. I'm getting a bit tired of all this - if people don't want to ride, they won't.

However, when I began cycling to work a few years ago, I was the only one in an office of 20 doing so. But as I got fitter, healthier and subsequently discovered the world of MTB, two things happened. Firstly, people noticed that I just looked fitter, and started to comment. Secondly, I was continually banging on about the joy of crossing over the freeway on the ride to work, looking at the stationery cars below, as well as discussing my exploits on the weekend during various MTB races.

What happened then is that a people on the "verge" of trying to get fitter, one by one, started riding to work. We now have three regular commuters, two part timers and one has fully embraced the world of XC / Enduro and joins me for every race I do.

I think that some peeople will just never exercise, let alone ride bikes. But for those who want to be fitter, the best solution is just to walk around, extolling the benefits. None of my colleagues who now ride to work ever mentioned bike paths or shower facilities, they just needed some inspiration.

nzhumpy

I read a report (trying to find online) where a researcher studied the distances kept by cars from cyclists when cyclists wore helmets vs when they didnt...

Motorists gave more room when cyclists had no helmet (and more room to females than males!). They concluded that this MAY reduce the chance of a crash. Obviously the problem of not wearing a helmet becomes apparent if and when you do actually crash...
Found it, a pretty interesting read.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V5S-4M645C2-2&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2007&_rdoc=28&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info%28%23toc%235794%232007%23999609997%23638991%23FLA%23display%23Volume%29&_cdi=5794&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=28&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9f1af4ff219f4e07cefa4b664944a498

Also a bit UK centric, but some good links to more info.

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/risk-compensation

Last edited:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am in favour of scrapping the law to be honest.

Needing a helmet does make it an inconvenience for many really. Id rather see more people out there on bikes, which I believe scrapping the law would promote. Europe seems to get away with people riding bikes helmetless and their traffic is infinetely more dangerous than ours generally.

Its not like their would a rule preventing you from wearing a helmet. All of those people with half a brain would probably still choose to wear one, I know I would.

nzhumpy

Europe seems to get away with people riding bikes helmetless and their traffic is infinetely more dangerous than ours generally.
Really, the drivers in Perth must be a whole lot better than there counterparts on the east coast.

Last edited:

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
People under 15-17 years of age should be made to wear them. But once people enter adulthood, perhaps it should be the choice of the rider.

It could be a good way to help the natural selection 'process' take place.

On a serious note though, is it cheaper to enforce this law for everyone, or do we run the guantlet and take the risky approach of more burden on our health system, not to mention the quality of life (or lack of it) for any unfortunate indvidual involved in a serious head injury accident.

I will continue to wear mine everytime I ride, as well as ensuring my kids do the same.

My 2 bobs worth.

laotzu4272

Cannon Fodder
Get rid of Helmet laws for adults

In countries that do not have helmet laws more people ride bicycles. They do not have any more serious injuries than we do (per head of capita). Let adults make their own decisions. I rode bikes for many years before helmet laws and never had a problem.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Scraped a guy off the road who hit a Kangaroo on his pushy doing mach 10. He nearly died. Helmet saved him no doubt whatsoever. I for one was pretty glad he had a helmet on.

Also I think there are way more people riding bikes than there was in the 80's or 90's so the number of injuries doesn't mean d!ck unless it's adjusted for the increase in bike rider numbers.

BLUMAN

Likes Bikes
Let adults decide for themselves

I agree with getting rid of helmet laws for adults.

I personally will always chose to wear my helmet and I'm sure most 99% of people on this form would too.

Helmets prevent small falls/knocks from being major accidents, but I wouldn't put much faith in my helmet to prevent a brain injury if I hit a tree at 30+km, its all about momentum.

But we are the ones who ride "seriously", who ride in traffic, off road and in conditions that most people not in our sport would call dangerous. So we all know the value of a helmet. We all know someone who has been saved by a helmet or have been saved by a helmet ourselves.

The "non cyclists" who just want to ride a bike to the shop for some milk or a cruiser along a bike path in the park or at the beach don't need helmets, the path is smooth and there is very little risk of injuring themselves, no more then if they were on a skateboard. Should we make it compulsory to wear a helmet while skateboarding?????

People still need to take responsibility for their actions and assess for themselves if a helmet is necessary regardless of what the law says.

digger

Likes Dirt
laws for minors?

Last time I checked, enforcing any law on a minor was pretty tough. So making kids wear helmets comes down to their parents. Furthermore, how many idiots have you seen riding along with their helmets hanging off the bars? My point?... That legislated helmet wearing is pretty dead in the water as it is so poorly enforced. The cops have far better things to do than save people from themselves.

Stats are really irrelevant when building a compelling case for dropping the legislation because if it works as planned, there will be more bike riders on the road. And quoting people as saying they would ride if they didn't have to wear a helmet is pissweak. People who are genuinely interested in bicycle commuting will suck it up and get a helmet. Where there's a will, there's a way. Not the other way around

Ditch the legislation or not, people that don't like to wear helmets won't wear them either way, Most if not all serious riders will carry on the same.

In the mean time the Amy Gillett foundation are working their nuts off to increase cyclist awareness in Australia which will go a long way to save our skulls from inattentive or inconsiderate motorists, helmets or no helmets.

jbro24

Squid
If your an adult, you should be capable of making a decision on your own safety and being responsible for your own actions.
Adults don't always make good decisions.

Remember the head/brain injury a helmet saves could be yours.

I will be wearing a helmet!!!

jbro24

Squid
Like I said earlier the Hire bike scheme will never get off the ground with compulsory helmet laws.

It means you have to plan to hire a bike in advance by bringing a helmet or risk a fine so people who need to go medium distances within the CBD unexpectedly wont use the bikes.

The whole point of the hire scheme is to grab the sometime and spontaneous user and encourage them to use bikes which could in turn get them riding more in other circumstances as well. People will not want to carry a helmet in case they 'spontaneously' want to hire a bike.
Well, if you can hire a bike why not hire a helmet at the same time (with a free hair net or similar). What's the big deal??