Scratching an itch at The Briars Highland Fling

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
“…I don’t know where I am. I don’t know who I am or what I’m doing…”

As one of 2000 mountain bike riders scratching a 7-year itch in The Briars Highland Fling, all will be raising a sweat and repeating the rest of the quote “Don’t stop! Don’t stop! Don’t ever stop!” just not quite in the way Marilyn Monroe intended it…

With over 2000 riders from across Australia and overseas taking part, The Briars Highland Fling mountain bike marathon; the final event in the Cycle Nation Real Insurance marathon series, will take place in the beautiful Southern Highlands of NSW on 12-13 November 2011.

Now in its seventh year, The Briars Highland Fling remains one of Australia’s premier mountain biking events and a challenge for all who take part.

As well known businessman Peter Holmes A Court said:

“Two of my favourite things in life are The Briars and The Highland Fling. I’ve had hours of joy enjoying the hospitality at The Briars, whilst the Fling made me a keen cyclist. I tried my first with no training and failed miserably. I did a little training for my second but it still hurt mightily. Last year, I did even more training so I could actually enjoy the pain and suffering of 110km riding through some magnificent Southern Highlands country!”

Event Director Huw Kingston says:

“The seventh Fling is a bit of a milestone. Many celebrate 5 and 10 year increments but for us the number 7 is magic and in the true spirit of Fling fun and frivolity, it gives us a chance to play homage to The 7 Year Itch! On a more serious note, we’ve increased the rider numbers to a 2000 limit this year and for those still trying to decide whether to scratch that itch they will need to hurry as there are less than 20 places left.

We’re really happy to welcome a successful local business, The Briars Country Lodge and Inn, as Headline Sponsor of this national profile event. As a local business ourselves, we love to work with other Southern Highlands businesses and community groups to benefit the region.”

Licensee of The Briars Country Lodge and Inn Hugh Hanrahan backed this up by saying:

“It was a no brainer for The Briars when we were looking for a successful local event to partner with. Having such a strong reputation for being fun and challenging The Fling is the largest sports event in the region. We are looking forward to working with the team at Wild Horizons for the event as well as being able to promote The Briars with our 4 star accommodation, our heritage Inn with cold ales, local cider and extensive wine list, along with our locally renowned restaurant.”

Riders can endure and enjoy the Full Fling (solo 110km), Half Fling (solo 55km) and Flinging Threesome (relay style teams of 3). Kiss and tell with an entry in the 100Mile Fling option (165km), or simply test the whole fling thingwith a Casual Fling (14km) untimed participation ride. Local businesses will have a Fling with each other too, in the Battle of the Businesses, a fundraising event for the local community.

The Briars Highland Fling follows a unique route that passes through private farmland tracks, Penrose and Wingello State Forests, and local villages. Riders will encounter singletrack, open paddock, rough 4WD track, dirt roads and a tiny section of sealed road. The 2300 metres of enjoyable climbing gives spectacular views and a sweet 2300 metres of downhill.

Find out more about The Briars Highland Fling at http://www.wildhorizons.com.au/highland-fling