Sealant clean up

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone found a way of cleaning dried sealant off rubber rim strips. Trying to recycle some but guess they wont seal well with all the dried goop all over them?

Would guess some product would get it off, have tried methi but no go??

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i would have thought a brush with hot soapy water would do the trick, if you want some solvent good strong alcohol [read pure] will work, i raid the school store for my 96% research grade. if none of the above work try 'goof off' or goo remover

poita

Likes Dirt
Not water soluble (otherwise they wouldn't dream in the rain...) Only thing that's worked for me so far is elbow grease. Some sealants are now coming out with specific removal formula, but they're pretty exxy. Just use tape

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use them on dh bike. Like the idea that tyres have something to help them bead. After trying to get them out and seeing how they glue together against tyre, not much chance of ever burping.
Not that keen to find the burping fail point with gorilla tape mid run...

Less rim strips alternatives and more cleaning tips thanks ala poita

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How expensive are new ones?
I applaud you saving our planet 1 rim strip at a time but it does seem a lengthy conversation on how to save $5.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its Joes and havent really tried yet. Had a quick look when it was out and its very hard and breaks away easily. Have been able to peel off Stans before as it has bern reasonably elastic. Thought thinners or iso propylene maybe??

redbruce

Eats Squid
its Joes and havent really tried yet. Had a quick look when it was out and its very hard and breaks away easily. Have been able to peel off Stans before as it has bern reasonably elastic. Thought thinners or iso propylene maybe??
"Is there an easy way remove old sealant? Should we remove it?

STAN’S: We use liquid soap and water. A lot of the dried sealant inside the tire is sealing up any of the tire’s porosity, and we say leave it in there. Just wipe out any big chunks. As much as people think they’d like it, there’s not a solvent that we recommend."
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/02/19...rt-1-how-often-should-it-be-checked-replaced/

I've done the hot soapy water version followed by nylon and brass bushes on rim strips (once). It worked but suspect the elbow grease was the principle solvent.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Is there an easy way remove old sealant? Should we remove it?

STAN’S: We use liquid soap and water. A lot of the dried sealant inside the tire is sealing up any of the tire’s porosity, and we say leave it in there. Just wipe out any big chunks. As much as people think they’d like it, there’s not a solvent that we recommend."
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/02/19...rt-1-how-often-should-it-be-checked-replaced/
Yeah not worried about inside tyre, more all the crap coating rim strip. Guessing it will hinder it sealing if not uniform?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yeah not worried about inside tyre, more all the crap coating rim strip. Guessing it will hinder it sealing if not uniform?
I have two bikes with Joes and rim strips . When i change tyres ( rim strip comes out with them ) all I just do is to give it a wipe with a rag then wipe the rim put the strip back in new tyre and then sealant then pump to 40 - 50 psi do the shakey thing and then leave overnight . I have only had to use the soapy water once on a non tubeless tyre that was a bitch to seat and seal .