Seat Quick Release on Mongoose.

schmik

Likes Bikes
What a piece of rubish! I've only had the thing for a few weeks and the seat kept going down on me (not in the good way :lol: ). So I keep tightening the quick release. Now the bloody quick release is falling apart, the curved washer and plastic bush have disintegrated. I am 85kg. Thats not that heavy is it ?

Should the bike shop i got this from replace it ? Or does this count as normal wear and tear ?

cheers
schmik

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably wear and tear... but just buy yourself a new one if they won't replace it... they aren't to much, just get a decent one and it shouldn't happen...

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
probably best ro ditch the quick release and go with a bolt up.
stronger, makes it harder to steal the seat, and unless you need to change the seat height all the time, a much better way to go.

mute

Likes Dirt
the seat clamp that came with my p3 was absolute crap, i tighen it, its still loose, i do it tighter, still loose, fucking piece of shit so i bought an allen key one from my lbs

schmik

Likes Bikes
I like the quick release coz I use this bike for onroad and off road so i change the seat height often.

I have spares off old bikes but the mongoose frame has a weird mount for the quick release. The attachment points on the frame are curved not straight so none of the spares actually fit.

schmik

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
If its the same ones that used to come on mongooses, it just has a small curved bush/sleeve that wears out. They're still use-able after that, just oil the contacting surfaces every now and then where the curved bush used to be. Alternatively, replace with a decent (ie. not cheapo crap) QR clamp with a cam instead of a bush type one - or better yet a bolt-up one.

wombat

Lives in a hole
SpectRe said:
QR clamp with a cam instead of a bush type one
Um, all QR's should be a cam design, otherwise the lever will accomplish nothing. Really though, it should be fine without the little bush, just make sure that you grease the surfaces and you should be ok; those little bushes never last long.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Im not sure exactly what the difference between them is called - but theres 2 different types ive seen. One with cheap plastic bush, and one without (different design).