Seat strengthening

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Recently while doing some DH riding on my XC bike i've somehow bent the seat to what can only be called a perfect curve, which i should be quite proud of, except for the fact that it mans that any time i ride i slide off the back and onto the rear tyre. If i can get it back into shape, and thats a very big *if*:rolleyes: , does anyone know of a way i could strengthen the seat poles so they didn't bend unexpectedly on me?

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you many want to start by not using an xc bike for downhill. but im sure there are stronger seat posts out there. check in at your lbs

beno

Cycle Solutions
what is bent? your post is a little confusing! If it is the seat rails your saddle is toast and there are many saddles you can choose from that have tough cromoly rails that you wont bend. The std saddles you get on some bikes (bontrager springs to mind) are absolute rubbish with rails the consistensy of a wet noodle.

If your seat post is bent-replace it immediately before you ride your bike again!!! unless of course you like having jaggard aluminium forced into your arse! There are heaps of strong seatpost out there as well. make sure you get one with a 2 bolt setup to attach the seat, they are much more durable than a single bolt post.

Of course this can all be avoided by standing on your pedals when you go over bumps and jumps :). or lowering your seat height on decents.

Last edited: