Seats for a fatass

oriion

Likes Dirt
Just after some opinions on what seats you "larger" riders are sitting on these days.

I've currently got an SDG i-fly seat, which is giving me some grief.

Was considering moving to an SDG Belair RL or possibly a WTB Pure-V saddle, as they look to be more friendlier to bigger riders with more cushioning. for reference im 6ft 3" and 110 KG

Not really a weight weenie, just after something thats going to be kind to my poor butt.

cheers

Glenn

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Try Silverado from WTB.
Really wide rear and I loved it for my ass.

Or some dirt jump seat with large padding will be just as comfortable. I tried SGG I-sky before and it was really good, despite the out of fashion unpopular look.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Glenn,

I'm not quite your size but I am definitely not a little guy, I have found that for me shape, size and set up of the saddle affects comfort more than padding. In fact some of the most uncomfortable saddles I have ridden on have been cushy ones. There is also a school of thought that the more padding, the more movement and the greater chance of friction discomfort or of pressure being put on sensitive areas as the cushioning deforms and moves due to displacement from being weighted differently by the body. Just think 'waterbed' but not quite as extreme.

It's not really going to be much help as everyone is different but I would recommend trying out as many saddles as possible, maybe borrow of mates? Buy cheap off ebay or buy the cheapest option in that shape before committing to a more expensive saddle. Many fortunes have been spent searching for the 'best' saddle and second hand ones are usually pretty well priced.

Other options are to be 'measured' in a shop and try their recommendation, based on sit bone width. Also maybe pay for a bike fit? Most bike fits will, or at least should; look at the appropriate saddle for your body shape and riding style. Which is another good point, as setback, saddle position and height can all affect the comfort of a saddle.

For what its worth my current favourite is the Prologgo Scratch, I also enjoy the Selle Italia Flite and the Fizik Tundra.

Good luck in your search

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 6'6" and 115kg and I had issues with the rails on the pure-V bending so I went to the power-v with 8mm rails. It's comfy and I'm yet to have a rail issue after 3 years. I'm not sure if they make the power-v anymore but I have heard there is a replacement model that is similar in spec. Check out the DH saddles from WTB.

oriion

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback, i've purchased the above Devo and a shadow-V to see how they fare. It was the perfect excuse to get rid of the i-beam, and buy a reverb at the same time ;)
Well thats how i told the boss anyways :)

Likes Bikes
Hey Glenn

Go to your nearest Specialized dealer and ask about their test saddle range. They have saddles for all shapes and sizes and styles of riding i can almost guarantee they will have one that will work for you. You generally leave a deposit and you can ride as many or as few saddles in different shapes and widths until you find one that works.