Second hand bike prices

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
I'm new here and to be honest I'm probably interested in 2 things - learning a bit more and picking up a better bike.

WRT to the 2nd bit, the pricing of second hand bikes is astounding/eye opening. After looking around here and reading a fair bit of what everyone has already posted I think I want a dual suspension bike (already have a budget hardtail and am upgrading) where the rear shock can be adjusted to hardtail firm for riding to the trails, then changed for offroad use. There seems to be nothing available under $2000-ish second hand that can do this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, there were 1.5 million bikes sold in Aus last year, so the supply side of the second hand market should be flooded. The car market has been similar with over 900000 new cars sold each year for the last 6 years (bikes consistently more). The effect this has had on resale of second hand cars is to make all second hand vehicle worth close to 50% initial price after 2 years, some better, some worse, generally though the higher the purchase price the more is lost on resale.

While I appreciate everyone wants to get the best deal for the sale of their bike, heck I would, I think the pricing should be more realistic.:confused: People will always deal in a private sale, which is great, but my budget of $1000 gets me either a Giant Alias new or what in a dually for XC use?

Dons flame suit...and hopes for helpful suggestions.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey
My friend picked up an 06 Norco Atomic off here for just under a grand.
you just have to wait until you find the right one.
Hope this helps
Nick

clockworked

Like an orange
its an economy of scale problem
people riding mtbs can generally raise the $1000 odd dollars a second hand lower cost bike would be worth selling if it followed car pricing. Its an affluent (effluent?) sport. So there just isn't the motivation to sell those lower price bikes. but get up the scales a bit and you start getting deals as the bikes get more expensive - eg turners and intenses sell at around 3-4 grand, which is a fraction of their build cost

John U

MTB Precision
I mean, there were 1.5 million bikes sold in Aus last year, so the supply side of the second hand market should be flooded.
The large majority of those bikes would not have been in the high end of the market. I am guessing that if you were in the market for something lower end you would be spoilt for choice. In fact you could probably pick one up on hard rubbish day.

The bike market is not the auto market. Same rules do not apply.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
You need to learn the art of the haggle ... and of compromise ... you'll rarely get everything you want, which I'm sure you know ... so the more gadgets you want the less likely you'll meet your price level.

I recently picked up a 06 Trance 2 for $1100 which included shipping (say $80) This had XTs and a Float R rear shock ... I would think that this was right in your ball park ... except it doesn't have the lock out rear that you want.

I think this is an absolute bargin

I've also recently seen the same bike for $3200 ... which is kinda the problem, everybody thinks their gear is better and worth more, so just a matter of finding a seller that thinks they need to sell.

I've picked up pretty much all my rigs 2nd hand ... so just a matter of knowing the value of things, and finding the rich kid that has no idea that there WC boxxers are worth more then the $750 you've just offered. :p

Now, the bad news is that you'll likely be in the reverse position at some stage, unless you have a massive 3 story shed ... so prices will kinda bite you one way or the other.

good luck

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Agree they are not the same but the same princi[ple (laws!) of economics apply, supply and demand intersect, but you could be right, market segmentation into XC bikes reduces the supply very considerably, so keeps prices higher. Also, the sport is booming recreationally so demand is strong too.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mean, there were 1.5 million bikes sold in Aus last year, so the supply side of the second hand market should be flooded.
From what I have been told that figure isn't bikes sold, it is bikes imported and covers all bikes from your 12in kids bikes up.
I would say less than 100,000 of those 1.5m bikes have a retail value over $2000. Most would be kids bikes and adult bikes up to $1000.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
You need to learn the art of the haggle ...

I recently picked up a 06 Trance 2 for $1100 which included shipping (say $80) This had XTs and a Float R rear shock ... I would think that this was right in your ball park ... except it doesn't have the lock out rear that you want.
Wanna sell it to me for $500:D

Gripo

Eats Squid
Get your wallet out

Wanna sell it to me for $500:D
Get your wallet out.....a modern day mtbike is more than just a bicycle that you once rode as a kid.

There are components on todays mtbikes that equal some motor vehicle tech, especially in the area of suspension/tyres/brakes.

You've got to pay to play.

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
From what I have been told that figure isn't bikes sold, it is bikes imported and covers all bikes from your 12in kids bikes up.
I would say less than 100,000 of those 1.5m bikes have a retail value over $2000. Most would be kids bikes and adult bikes up to $1000.
Correct. A ridiculous figure put out by the media to make everyone think the industry is booming. Bikes in containers on ships aren't being ridden to work by people ditching their cars because of fuel prices, but they are counted anyway to make it all sound as though we are becoming "greener".

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
It seems like as the sport beomes more popular prices seem to be staying on a level plateau, one difference is that what you are getting for $2000 these was probably worth $5000 5 years ago. It is kind of reminiscent of electronic devices such as TV's and playstations the boom in the number of consumers buying bicycles and the sports popularity has seen the money being spent on advancning the technology. As a new development comes to head its is put on the top of the range bikes and the previous technology is passed on down the line to the affordable bikes. As for second hand bikes most people want to make some money back on the bike even though they have re-sale prices worse that cars. So either tell the guy you buying off that the thing is a dinosaur and to give you a decent price or look at buying the new next model down, will most likely be better that the second hand bike.

By the way just picked up a new second bike for very reasonable price so if your prepared to look around or know somebody then it is possible.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there are alot of people who dont relise, once you ride that bike its value decreases a fair whack, so if youve bought a bike for say 3000 you wonbt get any where near 3000 if you try to sell it its just not gonna happen. i recently sold my 06 sunday elite which i had spent over $6000 on for $2000, yes i couldav gotten more, but if you want to sell you need to sacrifice, i then picked up a 07 orange 224 for 4000 with a top end spec, sure as hell beats paying $3300 odd for a glory dh1 with a low end spec

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Speaking of supply and demand, dillusional people who think their going to get top dollar for their NS/STP/whatever.

Sorry boys, not going to happen. Seriously ubersaturdated market.