Second Hand Bike Recommendation

Hey guys, I've recently decided to get back into riding, my last bike was a Nukeproof MEGA back in 2014, since then I've been collecting old and mid-school BMX! What would be a good second hand bike for around $3000? just for AT sort of stuff.... just want to dip my toes again before I buy a more current bike, TIA

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
What’s ’AT sort of stuff’? How tall are you?

Should be lots of good bikes around for that budget but might help to know a bit more about what terrain you will start on and what size you’re after

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
All Terrain.... Im 6.2 189cm and will just be riding fire trails etc
Ah, so a 170mm enduro bike is what you need. ;)

Seriously though, it's a good time to buy a bike. There's plenty of post covid buyers remorse going around.
A good trail bike 130 to 150mm dually would sound like it would do you just fine.
Something like a Giant Trance, Norco Sight etc. from a few years back would easily be in that budget.
Where are you located?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Sounds like you've reconnected with the right place. Gravelburn has plenty info on bikes perfect for firetrails!

But on a serious note, for 3k you can even purchase fairly capable new trail bikes these days.

EDIT: As @Stredda has posted plenty of top spec second hand rigs for sale. These days its almost impossible to buy a bad bike (geo wise) 2019+

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Dunno if this will help, it's from 2021 so thing have moved on even more

You might find a "trail" version of an "xc" bike normally has around 120mm, will be closer geometry to what your used to, and maybe more suited to fire trail riding?

But on the geometry thing, I had a 20 year break from MTB and there was no "getting used to" modern geometry from my perspective. Modern bikes are way more capable than anything before.

Ah, so a 170mm enduro bike is what you need. ;)

Seriously though, it's a good time to buy a bike. There's plenty of post covid buyers remorse going around.
A good trail bike 130 to 150mm dually would sound like it would do you just fine.
Something like a Giant Trance, Norco Sight etc. from a few years back would easily be in that budget.
Where are you located?
Thanks mate I’m in Sydney, I’ve been out of it for 10 years now so I forget the language and terminology yeah I was looking at Norco!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
A new generation Norco Fluid would be my choice, short travel but modern geo means it will do just about anything you can throw at it...They are very well priced new and I imagine even better if you can find one second hand.
Light tyres will make for a very capable trail/xc bike, chuck some chunky rubber on for more enduro style tracks.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
A new generation Norco Fluid would be my choice, short travel but modern geo means it will do just about anything you can throw at it...They are very well priced new and I imagine even better if you can find one second hand.
Light tyres will make for a very capable trail/xc bike, chuck some chunky rubber on for more enduro style tracks.
I hear Canyon are good too

You'll comfortably find something decent between $2,500-$3k.
Giant Trance, Norco Sight, YT Jeffsy etc.

How about some bmx collection pics?
You'll comfortably find something decent between $2,500-$3k.
Giant Trance, Norco Sight, YT Jeffsy etc.

How about some bmx collection pics?

Attachments

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What would be a good second hand bike for around $3000?
You'd easily find a decent alu bike new for that sort of money these days. Analogue bikes are the biggest bargains right now. Kona Aus is selling process 153s and 134s for a ridiculous $2500 right now. not sure if they have XL in stock though. Check bikes exchange - plenty of bargains!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
You'd easily find a decent alu bike new for that sort of money these days. Analogue bikes are the biggest bargains right now. Kona Aus is selling process 153s and 134s for a ridiculous $2500 right now. not sure if they have XL in stock though. Check bikes exchange - plenty of bargains!
I would worry about the warranty on a new Kona with things going on at the moment. Still, they are a bargain if that doesn't bother you, especially if you can get the two for one deal on a Process here in Aus.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member