Second Hand buying tips...

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hey, after not having the net for one week due to exams, I am back!

I am going to go to check out a 01/02 P3 at a persons house today or tomorrow and I want to know what to look out for if there is anything. What should I look out for?

Thanks!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
any cracks, dents etc. that could lead to structual dodgeynes(aka, dodgey). SOme people may try to just paint or sticker over some stuff so dont be afraid to give it a real close look over.
Check the brakes, pads, etc. Ride it for a bit and all that stuff and ask QUESTIONS

Simon

CHEWY

Eats Squid
grab hold of both cranks and try wobling them from side to side, do the same for the wheels and head set to make sure the bbs tight and bearings have no play, make sure there arnt any cracks or large dents (aluminium snaps when the structual intergrity is compromised), check all the running gear works, look at the fork crown and stantions and make sure there not cracked and theres no leaked oil and ride it and make sure u actually like the way it rides

fastrider gus

super huck
look for old, fat owners... no offence oldies, i'd just prefer buyin a bike off you dudes than a young psyco that jumps offa stuff (like me!)

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also, kick the tyres, scratch yiur chin and go "hmmmm, how much you want for it again?"
HAhaha

S.

ex offender
Simo said:
also, kick the tyres, scratch yiur chin and go "hmmmm, how much you want for it again?"
HAhaha
hahahahahaha

*short story* the guy my dad bought his current landcruiser off was selling a couple of his cars to help drag his business out of debt (rich guy), and he was selling some $80k beemer or Merc... and some guy tried that line.... kicked the tyres and goes "so how much did ya want for this bucket of shit?"

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
hahaha...
when i was lookin at buying a second hand bike i asked the guy (the dude whos selling the bike) to take it to the bike shop. i met him there and i had made a time where one of the mechanics can just check out the bike. ended up that the bike was pretty fucked, needed a new rear shock and forks serviced amongst other things. so i said "nah not buying it" and the dude lowered the price from $1800 down to $1000

so best advice take it to u're LBS and get the dudes to check it out, cuz chances are they could know mroe than you on bikes (unless u're some uber bike mechanic) and could pick out the defects of a bike by just lookin at it.

best of luck dude... btw; what second hand bike u looking to buy?

Adi

It's my birthday!
yea, it feels solid, very, forks are good. here are the specs

01 P3 frame
Truvativ cranks
Dice smo rear
XT drivetrain
Z5
Truvativ chain guide
Specialized pedals
Alex 24 front rim with dt swiss spokes
Profile bars
Avid levers and vee brakes
2.5 inch maxxis

only downside is a dent in the toptube, not bad though

got it for $850!

SOOOOOO STOKED!!!

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
WOAH that is an AWESOME deal man, good work i can't wait till i see the picks.
man u can get some really good deals out there. my mate bought a 2001 kona roast with judys, race face, lx,xt, avid arch rivals, azonic components, 3 wheels, 3 tyres, a spare disk for $550! the p3 you bought is another example of a GREAT deal. so good work

curtisrider

Eats Squid
i know u've bought the bike but for people buying 2nd hand bikes check for scratched on the fork legs cause if there is any damage u could be looking at a new leg or legs/steerer/crown which are very expensive parts
e.g boxxer fork leg = $600
fork service with new bushings getting the leg fixed up (filed and buffed) = $100