Second Hand ??

Digitalis

Likes Bikes
Hey guyz,

I'm looking for a new bike, which will primarily be used for cross-country, but i will probably have some fun doing small drops, aggressive trails etc.

I have been looking at a sasquatch and, yes it's a bit heavy, but woul dit be ok for cross country ?

And what about looking at the second hand market ? I'm a bit put off from buying second hand incase it has something wrong or it's been heavily ridden etc and won't be very good ? Has anyone had any experience with that ? And anyone have suggestions ? (looking to spend 1-1.5 grand)

Any help would be appreciated (also, i'm 6ft tall, what frame size would i be ?)

Viv92

Eats Squid
Second hand can be good and bad. Make sure you inspect your purchase first. Somethings can be bought 2nd hand relatively comfortably. Usually brakes, wheels, bars, stems, seats, posts, pedals and most frames don't get too hammered. Most 2nd hand drivetrain stuff is knackered and isn't worth buying. Same can go with suspension stuff.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Viv here.

What should really come into consideration is price. For example, my first real mountain bike I paid $1000 for, that was new from a shop. It was nothing but trouble. I sold it after a mere three months and $1000 in repairs later. If I went through it again I'd go second hand for that price. But if you have a bit more about, then it may be worth going new. I know my LBS is doing at least 40% off if it isn't '09. A mate of mine picked up a $4000 bike for $1500 new. Sure, it was '06, but value was tops and it had warranty.

So, I hope I helped and gave you something to think about.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But on the other hand you have me, I also paid about $1000 for my first proper bike brand new (it was a Specialized Hardrock Comp), it saw me through 5yrs (3yrs of proper riding and a couple of years having kids;) ) anyway it probably would have still been going well with some upgrades like a much nicer fork etc, but as you have it I moved on to bigger and better things at that point. I would say that I rode "all mountain" with it, maybe not very well, but yeah I was never into jumps or drops back then.

Probably out of your budget but you could also consider something like the Kona Five-O, it sounds to be more what you're after - not strictly XC but not really pure FR/DH either. One thing is for sure, your budget will buy you a pretty nice new XC bike, but for "all mountain" or something a bit more versatile you might be best off looking 2nd hand (like Santactuz Chameleon).

Buying new vs 2nd hand comes down to what you want, what you can afford, and in the case of 2nd hand usually how long you're willing to wait for the right bike or size to come along.

Digitalis

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, thanks heaps for your info, helps a lot.

A Kona Five-0 looks good, but i can't find that many on the net (not looked for long though lol), is that similar to a sasquatch of bigfoot ?

Does LBS have a site ?? thanks :)

Rofl, dw, i'm noob, i'm guessing LBS = local bike store :p lol.

Last edited: