Seeking advice on a new brake for my new DJ Bike...

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Gday Fellow Farkiners/Rotorburners,

I am currently collecting parts for my new DJ build (will be posted when done),
and it has now come time to pick a brake. I have narrowed it down to 2, and I know that they are overkill but what of it?
The 2 choices are Avid Code, or Shimano Saint.
I have never ridden a Code but I have heard mixed reviews about them, and my mate has saints but I have put very little pedal time on it to make an educated opinion,
So I ask of you kind people, If it was your build which would you pick?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Matt

mlucko

Likes Dirt
money isn't a problem with my build, and i would like a 4pot brake just because I want a brake with a lot of bite and a lot of power even though its not necessary and I'm not a weight weenie so weight isn't an issue,

Last edited:

NSRider

Squid
Hey there, I'd go for the Avid code Brake, I have an Elixer 5 on my DJ bike and it looks sleek, feels good and has ample power. The lever also overextends which I find good for barspins and whatever.

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
is a simple avid vs shimano argument, read the countless other threads.

avid breaks tend to leak and get moisture and air in the fluid (hygroscopic dot 4-5 ect) whereas shimano uses mineral oil, witch isint hygroscopic.

after reading reviews, shimano seems to be more reliable overall and needs alot less bleeds

now the exception seems to be codes witch have better reviews then there elixir brothers and appear to be much more reliable

if it were me, i would go the deore xt's, saint after the rest of the bike its the best of the best, fox 831's 3-4k bike

the price difference is MUCH better spent elsewere on the bike and the stopping power is much more then needed, will be locking up all over the place. unless that is, all you use your bike for :madgrin:

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have ridden a saint brake on my DJ bike, took it off after a week because even with a 6" rotor it is overpowered. The back wheel locks up unnecessarily. Maybe if you had a front brake it would be okay but with just the back its no good.

In my honest opinion - get an XT M775 or M780 brake with a 6" rotor. Good combination of power, weight, and reliability.

codes are much better for this kind of thing, cheaper and better value. Saint is really just overkill for a dj bike and the size o rotor you'll be using.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Codes are overkill too. They are DH brakes too, get the new XT and you will be laughing
and 4pot's dont always mean more power.. eg hope tech v2 vs M4, or even those old 6pots vs a new 2pot brake.. XT has more than enough grunt for anything.

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
If you want some decent brakes at unbelivable price get the shimano deore M596's super happy with them for the price tag I think they are alot better than the elixer 5's on my DH bike. Either way I would go shimano could only image slx and xt's would be better again. Also found shimano easy to resize the hose and bleed them and this was never having done any brakes before just followed the manual.

I use this bleed kit works ok
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15512

Also best to have one of these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34710

and use the shimano oil
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=663