Sell a whole bike or frame and parts?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I am trying to raise funds for a new frame and I'm going to sell my 2007 Spec Carbon Marathon Epic, it currently has X0 and light carbon bits all over it, 2010 SID team forks, which I will take off and replace with X9 and normal bars. I'll be missing a couple of things which I'll need to buy like possibly forks although have a nice light set Skareb SPV forks (1540g) but before I waste my time and money I wondered what opinions were on what is a better choice:
1. spend some time and money and sell a complete bike
2. just sell the frame and sell off the other parts separately (which of course means more time and money advertising etc.)

Tell me what you think. Let it rip!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am trying to raise funds for a new frame and I'm going to sell my 2007 Spec Carbon Marathon Epic, it currently has X0 and light carbon bits all over it, 2010 SID team forks, which I will take off and replace with X9 and normal bars. I'll be missing a couple of things which I'll need to buy like possibly forks although have a nice light set Skareb SPV forks (1540g) but before I waste my time and money I wondered what opinions were on what is a better choice:
1. spend some time and money and sell a complete bike
2. just sell the frame and sell off the other parts separately (which of course means more time and money advertising etc.)

Tell me what you think. Let it rip!
Buying parts just to sell them seems silly - I'd just part out what you've got

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Buying parts just to sell them seems silly - I'd just part out what you've got
Sometimes a complete bike can be more attractive - I suppose it depends on the frame and parts...in the past I've essentially sold a good frame with old parts that really weren't worth all that much...but then I didn't spend any money.

As an aside I clicked on your Blur LT link, interesting story, I was working in California on assignment and spent all my food allowance on a new bike - my girlfriend used to say "whenever you get hungry just look at the bike" :D

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sometimes a complete bike can be more attractive - I suppose it depends on the frame and parts...in the past I've essentially sold a good frame with old parts that really weren't worth all that much...but then I didn't spend any money.

As an aside I clicked on your Blur LT link, interesting story, I was working in California on assignment and spent all my food allowance on a new bike - my girlfriend used to say "whenever you get hungry just look at the bike" :D
Ahah that thread could do with an update (the bike doesnt look like that anymore! new wheelset, new drivetrain, new tires) nothing better than bankrupting yourself to fuel a mtb addiction - it means you cant afford nasties like drugs, smokes or alcohol!

The problem I think you'll face when buying parts to sell as a complete is that you are between a rock and a hard place.

If you kit it out with XT+ level gear you will chew up a huge portion of what you will eventually make (resale value for MTBs is notoriously small)

If you kit a nice frame out with <XT (eg SLX) then the buyer will end up replacing it anyhow at their own expense (they will forsee this and reduce their offer)

Perhaps you should sell it complete as is (excepting the X9/bars which you have available) and just replace what you lose when you get the new frame