semi full face helmets

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Be the guinea pig. Then do a review. Someone has to be.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Its probably a great helmet just keep in mind it doesn't meet AUS standards, if you have a stack and come out bad often insurance companies will use that against you.

T-Rex

Template denier
Can't use a helmet with a detachable chin guard for DH. For that price you could get a proper XC helmet and a proper DH helmet.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
That, and you'll look like the biggest squid ever:loco:
Squid? Wtf? This isn't an American motorcycle forum.

As for aus standards sticker. .. It's a gimmick on most helmets. But not knowing the quality of this brand, I thought I would ask.

The cost isn't really an issue however I would be concerned with the quality of the xc and dh helmet that could be purchased for the cost of this one.

It's more for days out at mt Joyce. .. 6km of uphill riding with awesome descents. I like my face but I wouldn't be using a full face. There are times when an am helmet isn't enough but a dh is way too much.

0psi

Eats Squid
Casco make excellent helmets and I'd certainly trust my head to own.

As far as Aus standards go we actually have the most stringent testing on earth. It's harder to get a helmet certified here than anywhere else so that's got to hold some merit. As others have mentioned legally it's a pain not having an Aus standards helmet. Sometimes you'll get away with feigning ignorance and saying the sticker fell off if you've purchased your helmet OS but the same model is available here. In the case of this helmet it just plain isn't available so if you need to do an insurance claim or get pulled over riding on the road (you'd be surprised how many dirt access road are considered a public road) then you are stuffed. Would probably be fine for AM/Gravity Enduro racing though.

Edit: One of the issues with the Met Parachute is they are known to be worse for rotational injuries due to the mouth guard shape. I suspect there might be similar issues here but on the other hand Casco make awesome helmets so who knows. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Are they any good? I always thought that the front section looked too spindly to provide any protection (assuming it is made of foam)
I use a met parachute. The front bit is made out of plastic. I compare it more to an Xc helmet than a downhill helmet, and as such has way more protection than an open face. If you are riding up mt Joyce I take it you are not riding down the top section of the widow maker or the other double black on the same bike.

I would not where one if shuttling with a downhill bike. Where a downhill helmet and all the trimmings if so inclined.

If you are grunting up under your own steam on a Xc / am bike and blasting down trails appropriate for the bike then for me this style of helmet provides the appropriate level of protection. It's not a DH helmet but it's a bit more than the average Xc lid. I use the lower part of my jaw all the time and fall off regularly it's a no brainer. It does work.

chinski

Likes Bikes
When i started riding a bit of DH & jumps i did a lot of looking & reading online for the coolest ( ventilation not social status cooool ) full face helmet, i wanted full face protection but max ventilation for trail riding / uphills etc.

I was going to get a MET parachute , but expensive & more XC than AM / DH, plus expensive & hard to find as they stopped making them.

looked at the casco viper, the old giro switchblade but couldn't find one, parachute, specialized deviant but couldn't find one.

so what i ended up getting was the Pryme AL, it has heaps of vents & is more AM style than full DH, i've since got a 661 Comp shifted for full DH riding & have now modified the Pryme AL as purely my AM helmet to have even more cooling by removing the jaw / cheek padding, rear of neck & around ears.

where the padding is left up top is similar to a skate ( dome) helmet amount of protection for my head, but obviously has full face coverage plastics.

i use it when riding AM & uphills is slightly warmer than a XC open face but still gets heaps of air flow after my mods & once moving along the flat or downhill the airflow is awesome !! some might say overkill for AM riding but i like it & have seen people with face raper injurys from cruisy AM riding & i ride it like a mini DH bike when decending.

anyway here's some pics.

outside of helmet

inside before mod

inside after mod

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I use a met parachute. The front bit is made out of plastic. I compare it more to an Xc helmet than a downhill helmet, and as such has way more protection than an open face. If you are riding up mt Joyce I take it you are not riding down the top section of the widow maker or the other double black on the same bike.

I would not where one if shuttling with a downhill bike. Where a downhill helmet and all the trimmings if so inclined.

If you are grunting up under your own steam on a Xc / am bike and blasting down trails appropriate for the bike then for me this style of helmet provides the appropriate level of protection. It's not a DH helmet but it's a bit more than the average Xc lid. I use the lower part of my jaw all the time and fall off regularly it's a no brainer. It does work.
No. .. will be doing all of it. With just over 6" travel in the front and 6" in the rear I haven't come across any trails that I cannot get down (including clear mtn)... not as quick as a full dh rig but it's doable. Just something that will offer a bit more than an xc helmet.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This "style" of helmet will not offer any more protection in the event of a crash then a typical XC lid. It should be viewed in a similar vein to a slalom ski racing helmet, they offer protection from the slalom gate (a bit of plastic pipe) and little else. It does however provide an excellent source of false security!