Semi-newbie getting into dirt jumping (first hardtail)

Jacv12

Squid
Hey guys (i'm hoping this is the right part of the forum to come for help...) I've been dirt jumping on a BMX since ive been riding and i've sold my BMX and am looking into buying a hardtail dirt jump bike, and im just wondering whats the best way to go about getting one like what does everyone reccomend? Buying Brand new, Buying second hand with good custom parts or building one from scratch?
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated
Thanks Jacv12 :)

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey there...if you have unlimited coins build up a custom spec brand new. I would even consider a slope style dually like the p-slope or dmr bolt if you wanted to cross over a little. Will give you a little more option.

If coins are limited buy something nice 2nd hand and replace bit as they die. Dirt jump biks have a tough life.

Jacv12

Squid
Hey there...if you have unlimited coins build up a custom spec brand new. I would even consider a slope style dually like the p-slope or dmr bolt if you wanted to cross over a little. Will give you a little more option.

If coins are limited buy something nice 2nd hand and replace bit as they die. Dirt jump biks have a tough life.
Thanks for that mate yeah limited coin I was heading towards that like second handy and replacing as I go. Any parts you reccomend I look out for when buying a complete? Like certain forks, bars headset ect
Thanks for the help mate :) [/QUOTE]

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
bring on the flames!

So....how much are you wanting to spend?

At the risk of becoming a target for others looking to relieve Christmas tension by scorthing random posters... here is a few ideas.

- Marzocchi dirt jumper forks. Simple. Strong. Inexpensive. Rock shock argyles are everywhere, but I personally don't like their feel. Whatever fork you get, make sure it has a 20mm axle. This will save cash down the road when you figure how to lay golden eggs. Of course if you could lay golden eggs you probabl wouldn't care too much about the coins...unless they were small eggs and you only popped out a few each year.

- I like the NS frames and parts. I have also ran their hubs, bars and stems on a few FR/DH style bikes.

- for rims (here comes the flames...) try sun mtx39s. They weigh a tonned but look totally boss. They also allow your tyres to sit monster wide, so wide they will probably float on water. Atom lab also make some good rims.

- scope out the dirt jump bikes for sale new on the usual web retail suspects to get a feel for what parts go on shit bikes and what parts go on flash bikes.

Jacv12

Squid
Thanks heaps for that mate I've found a cheap amp banshee for sale and I was looking at that for the base possibly and building from that! Also I have around 1000-1500 to spend depending on how things pan out

Jacv12

Squid
Also another thing is like is there any specific shocks I should look out for, for dirt jumping? Like size and all that? And height and what not?

mitch41

Likes Bikes
mate if you have a Banshee Amp you will never have to replace the frame, they are regarded as one of the best dirt jump frames out there, as for forks, if you want something cheap and bullet proof, go with a set of marzocchi DJ2's, they are horrible by my standards but a good starter, later on down the line try get yourself a set of fox 831's or a set of rockshox pikes or argyles. Whatever forks you get make sure you get 20mm (fox 831's are 15mm though)

Edit: Sorry just saw you were after size and height, DJ forks are normally 100mm, dont go any more travel than that

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just saw NS are running some banner add on RotorBurn. 1500 would come close to getting something nice from them brand new.