Semi-Slicks - H.E.L.P.

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

I am after some advice on semi-slicks. I have previously done some touring on slicks (26 x 1.25) and found them ok on fire roads and great on the road.

I am wanting to do a few tours with more offroad. This will include some sandy sections, off-road climbs and general singletrack. I am thinking I should invest in some semi-slicks for this ride. The vast majority of the ride will be on the road so I want to steer clear of full knobblies.

Have searched some of the forum but could not find much recently on semi-slicks.

Am after a good alrounder that does not weight too much?

Thank you in advance.....

H

>Henry

Ermm a few I can think of that would roll well as well as gripping too are:

Kenda Small Block 8
Maxxis Larsen TT (eXcpetion i think are the lighter and better rolling ones, someone can probley correct me on this.)
Maxxis Crossmark
Maxxis Lopes Bling Bling (a bit knobbier than the rest, but still roll well.)
Schwalbe Furious Fred
Schwalbe Racing Ralph (once again a bit gripper than some of the others.)

Thats all I can come up with for now, take a look and see which looks best for you.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I can recommend the Kenda SM8's.
From the little time frame which I have used them they are amazing!

Delmar

Likes Dirt

Kenda Small Block 8
Maxxis Larsen TT (eXcpetion i think are the lighter and better rolling ones, someone can probley correct me on this.)
Maxxis Crossmark
Schwalbe Furious Fred

Thats all I can come up with for now, take a look and see which looks best for you.
Hmmm, I think since he said he's spending most of his time on the road that the cost of slaughtering Scwalbe's might be a bit much. I love my racing ralph, but a touring tyre it is not - wear's on the tar like a good race tyre should - fast! For that matter it wears fast in general off road use, too...

I second the conti contacts, or for a heavier and cheaper choice, I have two pairs of Town & Country tyres (also conti's) that I can't kill. Horrible to mount and dead to ride on, but sturdy as over a few years of touring/baby seat bike duties.

Have fun!

Last edited:

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the Conti Town & Country on the street, it was the lightest fat tyre I could find (590g). It's taken some abuse and going as new. It rolls fast. You may have problems on dirt hills, but for what you've described I can highly recommend them.

Those Contacts also look decent but haven't tried them myself.

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
I had the Kenda SB8 on my dually and they were great for hardpack but a bit grippy for the road.

Will look into the Contis. What does everyone think of the SCHWALBE Silento or the Maxxis Wormdrive?

Cheers,

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Kenda Small Block 8
Maxxis Crossmark
Schwalbe Furious Fred

Not one of which is a semi-slick. Everyone of those is a full tread xc tyre.

I use 1.9 Maxxis Wormdrives. Very fast rolling with great side lugs. I will buy them again when I kill my current ones.

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Not one of which is a semi-slick. Everyone of those is a full tread xc tyre.

I use 1.9 Maxxis Wormdrives. Very fast rolling with great side lugs. I will buy them again when I kill my current ones.

Cheers. What is the weight like?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can get a 430g model, but it is recommended for racing only, otherwise the normal models are 587g in 1.9

cobba

Likes Dirt
Where did you find that out from?
The reason why I said that it looks like Maxxis no longer make these tyres is because I can't find them listed anywhere on their website or in their catalogue. http://www.maxxis.com/

You can get a 430g model, but it is recommended for racing only, otherwise the normal models are 587g in 1.9
Those weights look to be for 2004 and earlier models.

Here's some more recent weights and info I found:

2006 Hybrid Wormdrive:
Tire Size: 700x42c
TPI: 60
Bead: Foldable
Max PSI: 75
Weight: 445 g
Durometer: 70a

2006/2007 Wormdrive UST:
Tire Size: 26x1.90
TPI: 120
Bead: Foldable