Seperating the back gear cluster?

Triggs

Likes Bikes
Hey all.

I want to convert to SS, and i have most of the stuff i need except for a back sprocket. Is it possible to separate the back gear cluster so i can use one of them? The cluster is the stock STP 2 one.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes you can by driling out the 3 little pins that hold it all together..

but you would be better off spending 10 bucks and geting a proper single speed cog without the shifting ramps.

petri

Likes Dirt
yes you can by driling out the 3 little pins that hold it all together..

but you would be better off spending 10 bucks and geting a proper single speed cog without the shifting ramps.
Yeah, go a proper cog. Ramped ones can be shite if u try to run a bmx chain or stuff is worn out. U can try gearing ratios with the original ones but use a proper one in the end.

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i went this way for a while even though i was trying to be cheap it worked for a while until i was riding back from local dh trail which is about 5 kms from my house when bam i looked back and 6 teeth were missing and mostly the rest were bent i had a fun day walking home

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i went this way for a while even though i was trying to be cheap it worked for a while until i was riding back from local dh trail which is about 5 kms from my house when bam i looked back and 6 teeth were missing and mostly the rest were bent i had a fun day walking home
that reminds me get a shimano dx cog or better as 2 blocks away from having a da bomb single speed kit installed on a mates bike he managed to snap 3 teeth. others have had better luck with them.but why risk it

gl1

Likes Bikes
Hang on. I took apart a cluster from a 2006 STP 2 using an Allen key (maybe 2 mm). There is one allen key hole on the back that will separate the whole cluster.

Last edited:

ruckes

Likes Dirt
i ran it like this for ages but you are better to get a bmx cog the tufneck ones are some thing like 14 bucks i found the best way to get the cluster apart was to grind the pins on the biggest cog and they just drop easy as that.

petri

Likes Dirt
Hang on. I took apart a cluster from a 2006 STP 2 using an Allen key (maybe 2 mm). There is one allen key hole on the back that will separate the whole cluster.
That's common. Generally the cheaper ones have 3 pins that are pressed in.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that reminds me get a shimano dx cog or better as 2 blocks away from having a da bomb single speed kit installed on a mates bike he managed to snap 3 teeth. others have had better luck with them.but why risk it
I'll second that. drive train failures are nasty... I did this and I'm pretty certain that $10 and 15 minutes of my time could have avoided it.