SEQ gravity enduro series

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How is this actually run? I've been looking through the website but I'm still a little confused.

Straight from the website:

"riders negotiate three to six competitive stages across a day that range from 2 to 15 minutes in length. Stages are generally downhill in nature with some short climbing sections and include non-competitive liasion stages, linking riders to the next track, which must be completed in a designated time limit. The overall winner is the rider with the fastest combined time across all competitive stages."

So basically in regards to Mt Joyce it would be the equivalent of riders starting at the top of the mountain and being timed like a DH race from there -down bovine groove- to the bottom and then you are given say 30-60mins to ride to the top again and then you are timed down the Black rock trail to the bottom. The winner is the fastest down both tracks? The "Liason stage" is not timed therefore is not counted?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The climbs are not counted, BUT if you are longer than the allocated time you MAY get time penalities.

For MT Joyce there will be two different ways of running the race as there is two events there. I would need EMS to confirm, but one race would most likely be a set order to which each grade runs the tracks. The other event may be a total time event, where you decide what order you run the tracks.

Mt Joyce basically has Four Tracks to run. Basically some variation of Bovine, the combination of green trails (wormjuice etc), Blackrock into Pork chop variations, and a mix of the black diamond downhill tracks.

Final combinations of trails will be set on the day before the race. But expect there to be most of bovine, all of blackrock and most likely a track starting form the top of the DH start.

Hope this helps.

Andy,
Will it be the same idea as the one the held at Garapine a while ago but with a mixed up timing format depending on the race?
If it is I love this style of racing.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Andy,
Will it be the same idea as the one the held at Garapine a while ago but with a mixed up timing format depending on the race?
If it is I love this style of racing.
Same as the garapine events that have been held over the last few years. We now have improved timing systems so that you will get your race time as you pass the final control point. As the series progresses we will look at innovative ways to mix up the day.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for volunteers to help with race one. If you are racing and can supply a volunteer to help out contact EMS and a discount will be given on your entry.

BB1

Likes Dirt
Speaking of boats, what's the wet weather plan? Very keen on racing on Sunday but not wanting to get my hopes up if the tracks are washed out or it's likely to be cancelled. Any updates given all the damn rain?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe the call will be made Wednesday. The tracks that will be used to for the race dry pretty quickly.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much rain did you get there andy? We have had to close trails at Nerang (admittedly ones seeing lots of new work) and they will remain closed till next weekend. We dry better than Mt Joyce, let alone having to deal with everyone using the one trail up and down each leg. Which trails are on the agenda? Maybe I'm a worry wart, but can the trails survive without being out of action for weeks after the first event? The weather is a bitch for sure, but it would be sad to trash trails and encourage people to worship riding trails in a vulnerable state all at once.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't like out chances, but with the variations that were going to be run, 95% dry trails will be possible if it is dry enough. Will have to just wait now until EMS get out there. They are in contact with SEQwater and they haven't said that it isn't possible yet so mega fingers crossed. Will be hard to fit the third round in if this is cancelled as it will get closer to the XC and DH series. But I then I wonder if that is too much of a problem, would the masses rather do this type of racing??? Also as the year progresses EMS gets very busy with Bridge to Brisbane and the like.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But I then I wonder if that is too much of a problem, would the masses rather do this type of racing???
Seeing as I am not in a position to ride them anyway, my opinion probably doesn't count but....

I would race this type of event in front of every other format.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Seq gravity enduro rd 1 postponed.

Unfortunately the continued wet weather that we have seen over the past few weeks has forced us to postpone the first round of the SEQ Gravity Enduro Series scheduled to beheld on Sunday 10 March. Access to the trails is limited at the moment due to the amount of water flowing over the dam wall. This has caused damage to the roadway, and it won’t take much rain to flood the bridge again.

The trails themselves are currently flowing with water, and it is expected to remain this way for some time. EMS Australia in conjunction with SEQ Water have made the call to postpone this round. All access to the Mt Joyce MTB trails is currently closed.

Round 1 will now be held at Mt Joyce on Sunday April 7. We are currently working with suppliers and stakeholders to find a suitable date for the 3rd round of the series. All Entries for Round 1 will be transferred to the new date.

As many of the riding areas in SEQ Water will be in the same situation, we suggest that riders use this opportunity to get involved with giving back to the sport through trail care. Trail Care options for this weekend can be found at http://www.seqta.net.au/

Any questions please contact info@emsaustralia.net.au

BB1

Likes Dirt
Unfortunate but understandable given it hasn't stopped raining for weeks on end!

For my 2C worth, I'll be into this style of riding more than the Sunshine Series (sorry guys!) as I'm no longer on the DH rig and this kind of racing really appeals to me.

Good luck with the re-organisation and I second the trail care suggestion!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to ask here rather than in a new one...

I'm looking into doing this as my first race on a mtb and was wondering what sort of equipment is necessary.. I.e is it nuts enough that I'll need a full face etc. or is a xc/enduro lid going to be ok?

And what is the minimum bike you could get away with: some of my mates have xc hardtails and are interested in having a go?

Cheers

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to ask here rather than in a new one...

I'm looking into doing this as my first race on a mtb and was wondering what sort of equipment is necessary.. I.e is it nuts enough that I'll need a full face etc. or is a xc/enduro lid going to be ok?

And what is the minimum bike you could get away with: some of my mates have xc hardtails and are interested in having a go?

Cheers
Open face helmets are fine. You can wear a fullface if you wish, but you also have to wear it climbing back up. Hardtails are fine, as long as they are in working order and have front and rear brakes.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Only 4 days until Rd1 of the SEQ Gravity Enduro Series @ Mt Joyce

Red, orange & yellow lines are the trails being used!

Entries close Thursday night, so get behind this format it's set to be a great day out!

www.gravityenduro.com.au

45241_370744173038635_671569134_n.jpg

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bovine Groove has been split in half, so there are now 4 segments. The first part of bovine will stop a little after the tabletops before the climb out and then restart again on the other side of the tunnel finishing after the wooden berm.

All tracks where bunted today, so get out there practice and get your entries in before they fill up.