Seriously big bang in Beirut

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Geez... a seriously big bang in Beirut.
Colleague at work (his wife works there and he works remotely) had their apartment trashed, windows smashed and glass everywhere. His wife needed stitches for a cut on her leg from flying glass. Lucky...

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Saw the footage... my heart sank, a similar feeling of emptiness like seeing a plane fly into the twin towers. My first thought was “here comes WW3” My heart goes out to the people of Beirut, they’ve been through a rough century.

further investigation makes it apparent that there was a shipment of ammonium nitrate sitting on the docks, one half of the high explosive used predominantly in mining “ANFO” -ammonium nitrate fuel oil.

Possibly the shining light that comes from this and confirmation that we can be decent humans comes from long term enemies-The Israel government offering medical and humanitarian aid and commenting “this is the time to transcend conflict”

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The montage of phone cam footage on the ABC is incredible (in a horrific way) - particularly the clip right at the end. Whoever took that one appeared to be a lot closer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/massive-explosion-rocks-lebanese-capital-of-beirut/12524632

Lebanon's President Michel Aoun said that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures, which he said was "unacceptable".

At around 10-11s in, you can make out small flashes in the evolving fire - perhaps some fireworks going up first as the trigger for the ammonium nitrate?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to be a blast engineer in the hunter, 2000 tonnes of ANFO was the largest blast we did, that was to blast a block 400m by 80m and 70m high on an 8*7m staggered grid. We laser scanned the face to make sure that no hole was less than 10 m from the jagged face left form the last blast. even with 10m of solid rock on the front line of blast holes that moved half the rock 100m to its last place. A concrete silo with all the bomb in one place is not going to stop it at all and will make one hell of a shock wave. looking at that damage its honestly less than I would expect, why was it stored there for several years, was there ever a plan for it?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I used to be a blast engineer in the hunter, 2000 tonnes of ANFO was the largest blast we did, that was to blast a block 400m by 80m and 70m high on an 8*7m staggered grid. We laser scanned the face to make sure that no hole was less than 10 m from the jagged face left form the last blast. even with 10m of solid rock on the front line of blast holes that moved half the rock 100m to its last place. A concrete silo with all the bomb in one place is not going to stop it at all and will make one hell of a shock wave. looking at that damage its honestly less than I would expect, why was it stored there for several years, was there ever a plan for it?
They thought they were going to sell it off slowly but it was originally abandoned by a broken down ship.
The shock waves from it were tremendous.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The montage of phone cam footage on the ABC is incredible (in a horrific way) - particularly the clip right at the end. Whoever took that one appeared to be a lot closer.
Jesus yeah that last one is f***ed. Reminded me of some of the footage of that colossal series of explosions in Tianjin back in 2015 where you hope it was a fixed security camera or similar...

why was it stored there for several years, was there ever a plan for it?
About as much as of a plan as the Lebanese Government has for anything currently. Country is pretty fubar - 35% unemployment, 50% below the poverty line, inflation of 80-90% or something this year alone. Lots of reports from officials for a while warning in no uncertain terms that it was cataclysm waiting to happen but the Govt. seem to view ineptitude as the status quo.

moorey

call me Mia
Country is pretty fubar - 35% unemployment, 50% below the poverty line, inflation of 80-90% or something this year alone. Lots of reports from officials for a while warning in no uncertain terms that it was cataclysm waiting to happen but the Govt. seem to view ineptitude as the status quo.
I think you were looking for the Trump thread.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
About as much as of a plan as the Lebanese Government has for anything currently. Country is pretty fubar - 35% unemployment, 50% below the poverty line, inflation of 80-90% or something this year alone. Lots of reports from officials for a while warning in no uncertain terms that it was cataclysm waiting to happen but the Govt. seem to view ineptitude as the status quo.
Seems utterly on the money:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50760043

In Tripoli, some of the generator owners are former militia leaders who defended their communities during deadly sectarian clashes between 2011 and 2014, when members of the city's Sunni Muslim majority and Alawite minority communities fought each other.

Chadi Nachabe, a city councillor and former political activist, says: "After the clashes finished, there was under-the-table permission for those people to open private generators."

He says that, in return, the security forces expected generator operators to provide free electricity to some communities to ensure their loyalty to the government in elections.

But many others are getting free electricity through theft.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1689841/middle-east

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/lebanon-electricity-problems-poised-worse-200729144905704.html

The lights are unlikely to come on fully until the country's whole political system is overhauled.
I had no idea about the state of Lebanon until I did some reading yesterday. Total clusterfuck, sadly.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The GFC really turned the economy on it's head for a lot of the smaller places in Europe, people are doing it tough over there.