Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
Yesterday I was flying down the jumping jack/creek jump trail yesterday (Manly Dam outer loop) and came round the corner only to find 3 riders standing around talking right on the launch ramp of the gap jump. Had to hit the anchors and veer off to the left to avoid hitting them. As I continue on, I hear in the background "sorry mate" and "I hope you weren't going to do the gap".

Yeah, I was actually.
Yeah I know this bit. Flying down is pretty easy to do there, must have had to lock up pretty hard to avoid them. Maybe they'd stopped to check out the gap before doing it themselves? As you said they did apologise and were aware they'd stopped you hitting it; if you really wanted to hit it you could have pushed back up and shown them how it's done. I've come across a lot of riders riding up this trail in the same spot.

Or just not hit it at all and complain about it later. Both options are pretty legit, just that one allows you to do the gap, which you said you wanted to do, and one allows you...Strava

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
For farkin's sake, can everyone get off this silly Strava trip?

You understand flow, "the zone", fitness, safety, etc. etc., right? Getting a good strava time is not the only reason why people don't want to needlessly hit the anchors whilst on a ride. Categorizing people as being selfish Stravaholes is an easy and clishe generalisation that I'd bet does not cover 90% of the people in this thread that agree people camping on trails or riding up one-way DH trails is annoying.

And for what it's worth, since I posted this thread I have not again come across anyone acting irresponsibly on a trail.

See? The system works :thumb:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
^^^^ people who are slow always call someone faster than them stravsoles - it's makes them feel better about being slow.

Nothin' wrong with being slow, just don't make it an excuse to think less of others because if it

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Johnny your long winded posts are really impacting my post rate...I'm running stravatype to monitor my typing speeds. It's awesome! I'm really in touch with my keyboard in a new way...

single-track-mind

Likes Dirt
Mnt Narra is getting increasingly popular of late.
This is directed at the bunch of young guys on Sunday !

Please consider the effort riders have put in on the long slog to the top .
If your going to push back up the downhill at least get off the frigen line when someone is hitting the berms instead of
just standing there looking like a stunned mullet as the rider in this case ME has to brake and change lines through the best bits.

Really ........open your eyes , pay attention the world doesn't revolve around you there are other people in it.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Yeah I know this bit. Flying down is pretty easy to do there, must have had to lock up pretty hard to avoid them. Maybe they'd stopped to check out the gap before doing it themselves? As you said they did apologise and were aware they'd stopped you hitting it; if you really wanted to hit it you could have pushed back up and shown them how it's done. I've come across a lot of riders riding up this trail in the same spot.

Or just not hit it at all and complain about it later. Both options are pretty legit, just that one allows you to do the gap, which you said you wanted to do, and one allows you...Strava
Exactly as johnny said, it had nothing to do with Strava. Just hate having the flow of the trail interrupted, especially for people standing around in places they shouldn't be. I ride this section of trail once or twice a week, so i'll just hit the gap the next time. No need to push back up and try again.

And Mt Narra - totally agree - use the well built climbing track!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'm really not seeing what part of, "Don't stand around in the middle of the fucken trails" needs to be argued with, myself.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm really not seeing what part of, "Don't stand around in the middle of the fucken trails" needs to be argued with, myself.
This is my thoughts exactly!

Fire road fair enough but single track fuck me its just common courtesy to move off to the side.

Manners are disappearing fast in society and mtber's obviously aren't immune.

Dont get me started on the chunts that dont wave when you let them in or say thanks when you hold a door for them.

Simple politeness (which also extends to saying thank you when your let past etc) is really not that fucking hard - shame it is being replaced with self righteousness that people think the world revolves around them and only them.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Is the Grumpy Old F-Ck thread still active?
I like to think this thread is more of a guide of who has half a brain and who has cake batter between their ears. Unless you've just eaten a shit sandwich and have smeared yourself all over the trail from a stack then nah, you shouldn't be on the trail.

............and if we weren't using this thread as an indicator then this would be a good way to lock it.

Fair cop; some shit lands on the trail and you need to hit it, run over it or take evasive measures. Starting a thread to get the attention of fallen trees is useless, likewise to get Skippy and the rest of his kin to just pop to the side of the trail. You'd think that people would just liken stopping in the middle of a trail to oh you know......................standing in the middle of a fucking motorway!!!!!

stirk

Burner
Spacial awareness is a basic animal trait you have or have not.

Some people honestly don't think of where they are when they pull up on a trail. When riding firetrails up a steep hills around blind corners they'll plod along choosing to ride on the smooth racing line where someone who is bombing downhill will most likely be.

Someone who thinks about their surroundings and their place within that space will ride the dirty outside line so they can be seen and avoid getting in the way of someone who may be hurtling down the hill.

The aware person will almost always place themselves in a space which is safe for them and those around them.

The way people hang about on trails, drive like idiots or even mindlessly walk on the footpath, stopping right in front of you to window shop tells me 50% of the population have very little to no real spacial awareness.

Buntley

Likes Dirt

Some people honestly don't think of where they are when they pull up on a trail. When riding firetrails up a steep hills around blind corners they'll plod along choosing to ride on the smooth racing line where someone who is bombing downhill will most likely be.

Someone who thinks about their surroundings and their place within that space will ride the dirty outside line so they can be seen and avoid getting in the way of someone who may be hurtling down the hill.

The aware person will almost always place themselves in a space which is safe for them and those around them.

The way people hang about on trails, drive like idiots or even mindlessly walk on the footpath, stopping right in front of you to window shop tells me 50% of the population have very little to no real spacial awareness.
In other words 50% of the population are idiots, and the rest of us spend lives doing our best not to kill them.

I think that's called Darwinism!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I had to stop in the middle of the trail to check back on my son who was riding the trails for the first time on his new bike.

That said they were green trails and not heavily trafficked (or too technical) and most riders could see ahead and were very courteous when approaching as they knew I had to stop quickly and turn around to make sure he was doing ok.

Oh and I ate a shit sandwich and smeared myself over trail! Hit a bloody stump with my left foot (pedals level too!) and just fell in slow motion. Blood, mud and thud. haha

stirk

Burner
In other words 50% of the population are idiots, and the rest of us spend lives doing our best not to kill them.

I think that's called Darwinism!
That's a fair summary.

If one of these blissfully unaware fools read this entire thread I truly believe their nature would still see them standing about in the middle of a trail looking surprised when you come hurtling towards them as if another rider on the trail is totally unexpected.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
That's a fair summary.

If one of these blissfully unaware fools read this entire thread I truly believe their nature would still see them standing about in the middle of a trail looking surprised when you come hurtling towards them as if another rider on the trail is totally unexpected.
FFS, he's entitled to make a phone call isn't he! :lever:

^dave

Likes Bikes
Right?! This is my number one pet peeve. The worst is the people who come barreling out of a shop and onto the footpath into a stream of traffic without slowing down or looking at all. Or walk around blind corners at high speed and cut the apex. I think the same principals should be applied whether driving, walking or out on the trails.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
After way too many times doing my families grocery shopping down the local Woolies, I can confirm that it's a trait that waaaay too many people lack. I think I'd go so far to say that it should be considered a gift, given how many people completely lack it.

This afternoon on the way home from work I dropped in to grab some supplies and there was a guy who'd half blocked an isle to stop and have a talk on his phone. The idea of pulling his trolley off to the side and out of the way obviously never entered his mind, even as people had to stop to work their way around him.

Seems to me that spacial awareness is becoming less common every day.