Servicing 2014 Fox Evolution TALAS fork

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked already but I'm having trouble tracking down the info required (namely oil volumes) to service my fork. Has Fox released this information or are they playing silly buggers?

Thanks heaps,
Zen

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Evo should have the O/C damper. If you service the damper, just fill to compression head height +10mm. For the lowers, 30cc drive side, and I think 10cc Talas side. You may not need to service the damper though if you just do a lowers service/new seals.

- Joel

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
you haven't mentioned many of the specifics about your fork (i.e. 32/34/36, 26/27.5/29, travel), but this question was covered in this mtbr thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2014-fox-fork-oil-volumes-893995.html
which implied that (lower) 2013 oil volumes are ok (for open bath damper).
oil volumes found here: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm
THanks. The fork has 32mm stanchions, for 27.5" wheel, Evo, and has 140mm travel. I'll check that thread though.

Why don't Fox publish a similar page for 2014 forks?

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
THanks. The fork has 32mm stanchions, for 27.5" wheel, Evo, and has 140mm travel. I'll check that thread though.

Not gonna hold your hand but www.ridefox.com.

I also think that the expectation is if your are self servicing you will understand enough about suspension and the product range to work out oil volumes quite simply.

teK--

Eats Squid

I also think that the expectation is if your are self servicing you will understand enough about suspension and the product range to work out oil volumes quite simply.
It's this kind of policy with Fox that makes it a pain for the end user who is willing to learn and has some technical ability.

With the RS Reba for example you can download a PDF which showed how to pull down the whole fork including the damper, and included a parts # listing for everything in the fork. Availability of parts was very easy from anywhere in the world and cost effective. There is no crazy border control like with Fox where you can't even buy a crush washer from overseas but are forced to pay several dollars locally for a $0.01 part unless you work out a way to get around their export restrictions.

teK--

Eats Squid

I asked them, why there is no service information for 2014 forks in particular regarding their new hydraulic talas cartridge which has been on the market for over a year now.

No reply.

Well the Fox 36 is now out and no service information for that either, and they have also change the air spring for the Float this year I believe (air neg spring instead of coil).

zen_rider

Likes Dirt

Yeh mate, I don't see any info on there re oil volumes for 2014 forks. I've serviced my forks in the past by myself.

hoppy2

Likes Bikes
I have the same fork and sent Fox an email, the response was:
"Hello,
This fork will require 30ml of FOX green 10wt. in each leg.
Thanks,
FOX
915 Disc Dr., Scotts Valley, CA 95066"

I agree, it sucks that they don't put the oil volumes on their website anymore.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have the same fork and sent Fox an email, the response was:
"Hello,
This fork will require 30ml of FOX green 10wt. in each leg.
Thanks,
FOX
915 Disc Dr., Scotts Valley, CA 95066"

I agree, it sucks that they don't put the oil volumes on their website anymore.
Thanks for sharing.

Without updated info on their tech help website it sure makes it difficult to quickly obtain a consistent answer. As you will have seen the don't reply or give a different answer depending on who you ask. (they told someone else to use Fox Gold 20Wt)

I'm compelled to use 30ml in both legs when I do next service.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm compelled to use 30ml in both legs when I do next service.
If you do, test that you get full travel. If the 30ml is not causing some sort of hydro-lock then its all good.

Note: Reducing air volume in the lowers can increase pressures on bottom out that can cause the seals to pop. If you get this occurring then you will need to reduce the volume of oil in the affected leg.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you do, test that you get full travel. If the 30ml is not causing some sort of hydro-lock then its all good.

Note: Reducing air volume in the lowers can increase pressures on bottom out that can cause the seals to pop. If you get this occurring then you will need to reduce the volume of oil in the affected leg.
Cheers for the tip I now recall overhearing some time ago at the LBS that they would use less than the Fox recommended amount for this reason. So much so when I serviced my mate's forks (2012) he insisted I only use 20ml in each leg rather than the full 30.

I guess it can be more of an issue if they don't thoroughly clean out all the old oil from the legs and instead just do a quick drain and refill. I clean out the legs of all residual oil so I would be doing a dry fill. Might still run only 25ml to err on the side of caution.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
More splash lube is definitely better until you run into either the hydrolock or seal popping issue. It will vary from fork to fork, but if you service regularly, then you really don't need a lot of splash lube. In my SID's I pack the seals with grease, make sure the foam rings are full of oil and then put about 15ml in the lowers per side. Servicing every 20 - 50 hours depending on conditions means that they never run dry or low on either grease in the seals or splash lube.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt

This is no longer a concern with Talas 5, previous Talas generations used the stanchion as an integral part of the assembly, the Talas 5 is now an independent cart and takes up about the same amount of space as the damper. hence the increase of lubrication.

They spec green still for 2014 because the fork will not be fitted with the latest generation gold oil wipers, gold oil is THE BOMB but if you don't have gold oil compatible wipers they wont keep the oil inside the fork, obviously you can just get 2015 32 wipers that are gold oil compatible and fit them (make sure they have it printed on the label)

Last edited:

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone. I ended up calling the US service line and they said 30mL green 10wt in each leg, plus 3mL of float fluid in the air spring.

Last edited:

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Physical difference between old and new gen wipers?

Hey merc-blue is there any way to tell the difference between the old vs new generation 32mm wipers by looking at them? I've got a set of '14 Talas Performance on a Trance Advanced and the LBS assured me they would have the new gold oil-compatible wipers already installed. I was planning on using the new gold oil for the next lowers service, but if the existing wipers are still in good nick I'll reuse them so would need to use the old green oil.

Also has anyone come across any how-to service guides / vids for '14 Talas forks? I understand the new Talas 5 is a much simpler cartridge-style unit which is not meant to be end-user serviceable, but I'm unsure about how to go about changing the float fluid in the air chamber.

Cheers

This is no longer a concern with Talas 5, previous Talas generations used the stanchion as an integral part of the assembly, the Talas 5 is now an independent cart and takes up about the same amount of space as the damper. hence the increase of lubrication.

They spec green still for 2014 because the fork will not be fitted with the latest generation gold oil wipers, gold oil is THE BOMB but if you don't have gold oil compatible wipers they wont keep the oil inside the fork, obviously you can just get 2015 32 wipers that are gold oil compatible and fit them (make sure they have it printed on the label)

sbr511

Likes Dirt
Hey merc-blue is there any way to tell the difference between the old vs new generation 32mm wipers by looking at them? I've got a set of '14 Talas Performance on a Trance Advanced and the LBS assured me they would have the new gold oil-compatible wipers already installed. I was planning on using the new gold oil for the next lowers service, but if the existing wipers are still in good nick I'll reuse them so would need to use the old green oil.

Also has anyone come across any how-to service guides / vids for '14 Talas forks? I understand the new Talas 5 is a much simpler cartridge-style unit which is not meant to be end-user serviceable, but I'm unsure about how to go about changing the float fluid in the air chamber.

Cheers
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/SKFsealtoolsInstall.htm

quick google search brings this up.