Setback seat posts

LEX

Likes Dirt
I recently reduced my stem from 80 down too 50mm. And as such i'm feeling pretty in control but also very cramped. I'm all the way forward on my saddle rails which is concerning but still feeling cramped when peddling an incline or on seated flats. Would a setback seatpost solve my problem? and i know its a long shot, but if anyone in the Sydney area has one lying around i could Borrow to decide if it is my answer id very much appreciate it.

Bike = 2010 Trek Remedy 7 17" and my build is short 5'6" and stocky.

Alex

By set back do you mean a thomson style layback? Or a seatpost with a setback head? Ive got a few seatposts lying around and am in sydney, what size do you need?

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

You should be able to get a basic alloy one for about $30 new, with 20-25mm setback, if you just want to try it out before getting a lighter post.

- Joel

I have a layback Thomson post on my bike. Does the trick nicely. i think it has the seat 20mm further back. Also i agree on the cramped position on the trek remedy. Had a go on one recently and that was my first thought.

I have a layback Thomson post on my bike. Does the trick nicely. i think it has the seat 20mm further back. Also i agree on the cramped position on the trek remedy. Had a go on one recently and that was my first thought.

+1 on the Thomson layback.

I used a Kalloy post as my test to see if I liked it before I lashed out on a Thomson.
kalloy cost about $15 on fleabay.

Ritchey post

Lex,

I have a OEM Ritchey post (31.6mm x 350mm with 25mm set back) sitting on my desk here at work that you can have for the cost of postage to Sydney.

It came off my Haro Mary 1x9 (replaced with Thomson layback) and looks the same as this one.

J

Last edited:
PM please

Lex,

The Ritchey post is not the lightest. So the the FSA might be a better long term investment - you will need a shim though.

Send me a PM if you want the Ritchey and we can work out the details.

J.

Looks like youve worked it out already. But i 243 racing two bolt seatpost in 31.6 which i think has set back. I also have a generic one bolt post with about 20mm set back. Im in sydney, so we could meet up for a ride or organise pick up or drop off if you wanted. You can have either post for free.

Back