Setting a chain on fire

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Do you think my chain will be ok if i put it in a pan of methonol (sp?) and set it alight, getting rid of the dried up grease ect.

would it damage the pivots?

make the chain weaker?

Thanks.

p.s. as you can tell i would rather set it alight than dunk it in petrol.

im probably a pyro maniac haha

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...whatever happened to the good ol' chain cleaning kits?

...old technology. Obviously wasn't effective enough.
Rag and lube does it for me.

I have heard of people soaking bearings in diesel or somehting then letting it evaporate out over a long time. some sort of urban myth. The only part of the bike i inderstand to be cool to set on fire is the rotors after being sprayed with isopropyl alky...

billymtb

Likes Dirt
...whatever happened to the good ol' chain cleaning kits?

...old technology. Obviously wasn't effective enough.
Rag and lube does it for me.

I have heard of people soaking bearings in diesel or somehting then letting it evaporate out over a long time. some sort of urban myth. The only part of the bike i inderstand to be cool to set on fire is the rotors after being sprayed with isopropyl alky...
chain cleaning kits at 80 dollars now

i know scrubbing would be good, but it doesn't get everything.

setting it on fire, would get much more grease/muck out of it.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
setting it on fire, would get much more grease/muck out of it.
how? , i don't get it. If you set it alight all you would do is burn off the liquid and.. thats it. Are you saying that the grease also burns away ? Then what about grit from dirt/sand?

Where did you hear this?

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Methanol is a mutagenic substance. Don't go playing with it.

Use petrol, just wash your chain in it and it will get clean. Then let it dry and voila! OR use a citrus degreaser.

There are better things to vent your pyromaniac compulsions on than a bike chain. Be imaginative.

Crowie

Likes Dirt
dude dip it in petrole, wrigle it around for 1min or so and pull it out. shake well and whipe off with a rag. then get ur grese and dolop onto ur piece of rag (clean part). then with 1 hand pull the chain through the greasy rag whilst the other hand squezes the rag against the chain (like a fist). did it this morning, worked a treat. but settin shit on fire is probs not a good idea. but if it floats ur boat its kool wif me.

ps. if u do it, get a vid and pics. wana see if it accualy works.

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just take the chain off, lay it flat down on the ground all rolled up, and put a bit of dishwashing liquid on it. Use a brush with hard bristles and be prepared to get your hands dirty. After its clean enough i hose it all out and then use a rag to dry it and hang the chain for a while til its dry. There should be pretty much no shit on the chain after this so just lube it up when its on the bike and you're set!

dont see what good it might do, as the guys above have suggested there are easier ways to clean a chain, but if you're determined to set your chain alight, why not do it while jumping from a third story window at night or something, so if it does wreck your chain, at least it was worth it....

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Guys, i realise petrol is the better option but i don't have any petrol lying around and going to a petrol station with a proper canister isn't an option.

ill probably just use detergeant.

cheers

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Raid your dad's shed for some kero, it will do the same as petrol without the bang. It does burn though so be careful.

Soak it, scrub it, wash it again in clean kero then dry it off. Hang in the sun to warm it up then soak it in engine oil overnight. Hang again to drain off excess oil then wipe clean with a rag. Fit to bike then go ride.

Or buy a new chain.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
dude dip it in petrole, wrigle it around for 1min or so and pull it out. shake well and whipe off with a rag. then get ur grese and dolop onto ur piece of rag (clean part). then with 1 hand pull the chain through the greasy rag whilst the other hand squezes the rag against the chain (like a fist). did it this morning, worked a treat. but settin shit on fire is probs not a good idea. but if it floats ur boat its kool wif me.

ps. if u do it, get a vid and pics. wana see if it accualy works.
A bit more effort in your spelling, and punctuation, would show some respect for the rest of us, and the rules. I can't spell to save my self, but at least people can tell I try,I hope).
Burning won't really get rid of sand that well I wouldn't imagine.
Just a touch of petrol, and rag, or just lube it and wipe off access with a rag is all I ever do, probably costs me.

op_shop

Likes Dirt
methanol is also used for cleaning windows.

p.s. i do not have any petrol type liquid or oil.
From what i'm hearing, getting a canister and heading to your local Petrol Station is your best bet..

Unless you have been banned to even be seen inside a 5mile radius of Station due to charges for chroming and the like, this should not be a problem.

Crowie

Likes Dirt
A bit more effort in your spelling, and punctuation, would show some respect for the rest of us, and the rules.
yes i do belive that my spelling and gramar is poor and i am working on that. but how is it a violation (sp?) of respect and the rules? what did u fall of ur bike or get pissy cus the ford's beet the holden's. lighten up a bit, and put some constructive critisum (sp?) into ur posts instead of bitchin.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
ok, i got my chain and this is what i did

1. i put it in boiling water with detergeant, got a park tols brush, and cleaned it free from dirt and grit.

2. i let it soak in methonal, then put it in an old pan and set it alight (it was wicked :cool:) tho if you do this be careful as it is a big open flame, so it can catch on flammable objects. this does work well and got rid of alot of grease, didn't damge the chain from as far as i can tell.

3. it is now soaking in 2 stroke petrol (don't ask how i got it)

Cheers for everyones help

Matt H

Eats Squid
yes i do belive that my spelling and gramar is poor and i am working on that. but how is it a violation (sp?) of respect and the rules? what did u fall of ur bike or get pissy cus the ford's beet the holden's. lighten up a bit, and put some constructive critisum (sp?) into ur posts instead of bitchin.
Get firefox and add the dictionary/spelling addon. Really.

on topic:

There's no need to burn it. Take your chain off and soak it in something alcohol or petrol based.

Also, chain cleaners are a bigger ripoff than dvd rewinders. Just buy a chain breaker and a tin of petrol, ffs.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
When you burn things you will get an oxide as a residue, to remove this, rinse the chain in mineral turpentine:D

Viv92

Eats Squid
Burning it is pointless. Just chuck it in a jar with petrol or kero, shake it up and leave it for 5 minutes. Hang it out on your clothesline then put it back on and lube up.