Setting new Pikes

Luco

Likes Dirt
Sorry Dan I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I like my pikes and I think my psi setting is 72psi give or take 5 ;) BUT I have noticed an annoying 1-2mm of extra travel when I lift my bike off the ground, anyone else notice this and is it a problem?

Hey Chops, you wouldn't know of anyone who regularly services their bike in their backyard who would take on any extra work for a fee do ya?

Luco

Likes Dirt
Yeah I get that 1mm travel too! Feels bit clunky in that 1mm too! Annoys me!
Yes surprisingly clunky for the short amount of travel it affects. In fact sometimes when I'm riding and have the front wheel lifting off the ground regularly, I can notice the effect of this. That is when it is most annoying!

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Interested to hear others feedback on this. I was tempted to take mine back under warranty but sounds like more design than issue.

ChopSticks

Banned
Sorry Dan I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I like my pikes and I think my psi setting is 72psi give or take 5 ;) BUT I have noticed an annoying 1-2mm of extra travel when I lift my bike off the ground, anyone else notice this and is it a problem?

Hey Chops, you wouldn't know of anyone who regularly services their bike in their backyard who would take on any extra work for a fee do ya?
im sitting at 50psi to get around 25% sag...and weight 85+ kgs...... wayyyyy lower than recommended
did some readings last night and it seems others have the same issue. One guy had luck rebuilding the air chamber... but thats something im not comfortable with, just yet

Mate.... im more than happy to help you wrench a bike... just buy me paper towels as payment.

I too have that 1mm 'slop' when i pick up the front wheel... its not noticeable on the trail... but is when i pick up the bike around the garage.,,,, nothing to worry about i dont think

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just fitted up my pikes last night, love all the setup guides in this thread, thanks guys!

Will report back in a week when I've had a chance to get them run in and setup :D

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Have you guys stuck a zip tie past your seals and cycled your fork? I've heard problems of air building up in the lowers because the seals trap it in well enough. If you stick the end of a zip tie past the fork seals you might hear a hiss of air and then your performance may increase. Does the same thing as the little valves on the back of the new Fox 40 lowers.

Z

Zaf

My Pikes are due in this week, so Ill hopefully give feedback on it later in the week.

In the maintenance guide, the lowers rise up because when you press the valve at the top off the fork it only releases the positive spring pressure. The Fork should have equalised the pressure into the negative spring after it hits a certain point in the travel (after the chamber is pressurized) so that negative spring pressure is usually what makes the lower climb once the positive is no longer resisting it. Usually why manufacturers always recommend you cycle the fork a few times, deep into its travel before checking sag and such (on forks that use an air negative spring that doesn't have its own valve setting).\

Not using up full travel even when there's no air in the fork is usually to do with having too much oil in the damper, but I can't comment for sure on this with the Pike, as I'm pretty certain the damper is completely bled system, so I can't see how you could overfill it.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Yeah I doubt it's an overfilled damper, although I could see how the damper could add a little bit of spring since the bladder acts as a spring as it fills with oil.

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
I'm running a new 150mm solo air in replacement of the standard 34mm Fox Talas 140/160 (which I could never get happy with all up).

I have only a few rides and for my rider weight of 72kg, I have ranged from the suggested 65psi to 70psi and then right back down to 50psi. I am still in testing mode, but felt at the lower pressures the front wheel was scarily soft in rock gardens.

Two observations which I continue to read and I don't understand:

1. People seem to generally run lower pressures on the Pikes than suggested. My (minimal) experience thus far has been that this does not correlate well with a correctly set shock. The timing is way out. There is a clear bucking going on which makes total sense. I can't understand how people are happy with this. If they lower the shock then that's a further compromise.

2. I'm reading people have their rebound closer to turtle than hare, if anything. Again seems strange. If people are lowering air pressures the rebound should be increased. Granted the Pike has the quick recovery, but how does a turtle-biased rebound help with repeated high frequency hits?

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Just got mine.
i am about 110KG and running roughly 100psi.
It had no bottomless tokens in it and I found the compression rate to linear.
I put a bottomless token in and it feels a bit better in the carpark.
As for rebound I have found I am running it a bit slower then usual because the rapid recovery was pushing the front tire out in corners.

It is an AMAZING fork and I can't believe how easy it has made riding.

Hi, had a little difficulty setting up my new pike 140's on my killer bee, thought id share my findings as it might help someone else.

Bike: Norco Sight 7.2c
Model Pikes: 2015 Solo air 140mm
sag%/Psi: sticky 20%/85psi
no. tokens: 2 tokens
Fully kitted weight: 95kg

Paired with the cane creek db inline, its been a little difficult to set up, due to the ccdb being a complex shock....I like to try and consider how it all works as a package.

I found that as I honed the settings in on the ccdb, the characteristics of the pike became much clearer. This may be also due to the initial stickiness of the fork, which is much less after 4 weeks of use.

Reccomended pressure for the pike is 95psi and the fork came with 1 token. Tried 0, 1, 2,&3 tokens at 100psi down to 75 psi.

Settled on 85psi with 2 tokens. Asking around, I found that others all seem to be running less than the reccomended pressure. Hardly need to touch the compression dial.

Settings on the ccdb are all per the cc reccomended tune for the sight, at 17mm sag, with extra 1/4 turn on the low speed compression.

Final results are nothing short of oustanding, particularly small bump sensitivity. I havent hit anything bigger than 8-10ft gap yet though. I have 15mm of unused travel after most trail rides, so a little left in reserve for when the bigger hits arise.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 140mm/29er rct3's and am 93kg.
I run two tokens
I run my air at ~75psi. Which is a fair bit under the recommendation but I love the feel it has, and have never bottomed out but do use all the travel.

moman

Likes Dirt
I have 140mm/29er rct3's and am 93kg.
I run two tokens
I run my air at ~75psi. Which is a fair bit under the recommendation but I love the feel it has, and have never bottomed out but do use all the travel.
You must be my twin. This is exactly what I run. How many clicks of rebound and compression do you use?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You must be my twin. This is exactly what I run. How many clicks of rebound and compression do you use?
Unsure, will check tomorrow night after work.. Usually about midway on rebound, lsc I'm not sure at all.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Seems like I have to run mine a lot higher pressure than everyone else. I'm 80kg and run my 160mm dual airs at 100psi. Still feel like I'm blowing through my travel.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Seems like I have to run mine a lot higher pressure than everyone else. I'm 80kg and run my 160mm dual airs at 100psi. Still feel like I'm blowing through my travel.
Dual airs aren't comparable to solos as far as psi goes.