Sex Pistols

The sex pistols are:

• The Antithesis of humankind. (Bernard Brook Partridge)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

riderigid

Likes Dirt
Has anyone seen the DVD "The Filth and the fury - A Sex Pistols film"?
what do you all think of it. and what do you think of the Sex Pistols themselves?

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
their music is not great in my opinion but decent, but i liked their style and how they didnt care

bazza

look at me
mmm they are great! set the basis for a lot of good punk bands. and did it in a damn funny way! good ol mr rotern.

riderigid

Likes Dirt
they are great.

Great moments in sex pistols history #1. when they got fired from EMI for swearing on television. still got paid 20,000 quid

stay tuned for more great moments in the history of the sex pistols kids, but now back to our regular programming

looseunit

Likes Dirt
The sex pistols were the first punk band to get any real publicity, but as far as music went they were shit. As a band the can only thank thier manager (Malcom Mclarane), who formed and created much of the publicity about them. Without the grundy show incident and Sid no one would have ever heard of them.

As for the film there are better punk films and documentaries out there. Check out films directed by either Alex Cox or Don Lettts films, both who were invloved with the early punk scene in london. The other film that is good is Micheal winterbottom film 24 hour party people about Joy Davision.

riderigid

Likes Dirt
it is interesting that you say malcolm is the reason for all their publicity because in the movie they make him out to be a "fucking cunt".
i would have thought most of their publicity was coming from
1) the people they played to who were converted to their way of thinking by not giving a flying f'ck about what people thought of them which enticed more people into the world of punk.
2) the people who banned them from playing venues. by doin this they only made the newsfags say "sex pistols banned from here,m there and everywhere"
3) and finally by the band themselves, they created themselves and their own image and their own attitude, they were ABLE to not give a fuck about anything and this is how they got publicity, it made them stnad out in a world where everyone was jumping up and down like hyperactive kids with ADD and a pixie stick.

and as for their music being shit, well i dont think so, i reckon that they were great. yes John (sid)may have been the worst bass player even and yes johnny may have been a crap singer but when they got together they made something that just worked.

i'll take into mind what you said about the other films but you must admit that it is a pretty damn good film and it shows things that arent seen ofter. (like Johnny Rotten crying over the death of John (Sid))

I had great respect for this band until I found out that Justin Timberlake was asked to take the lead role in their up-coming movie. I think he is playing Sid....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The Monkeys were the first and Spice girls the most famous but, I was under the impression that the sex pistols were also a manufactured band produced and steered by Malcom Maclaren and dressed and styled by his wife Vivian Westwood.

It was one of the first major image manufactures. Yes the band did have to fit a certain criteria (not be overly educated and give a shit about anything) and act a certian way, but do you think that a bunch of punks with a smash it up attitude would have been able to market and promote themselves like they did?

I love Sex Pistol music, but it's hard to see them as anymore than just another bunch of tearaways that could only hold it together for only so long, obviosly this was until Sid pumped too much junk into his and Nancy's viens. Kinda like Jim Morrison really, a legend until find out how simple/dumb he was and how this lead to his death.

Did the sex pistols write the tunes themselves? (serious question, I really don't know)

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Total and utter crap is my vote. They were a manufactured band that self destructed because they were only in it for the money(or what they could injest or inject because of the money). Total wastes of space and totally irrelevent to people today. We live in such a messed up world where people are flying planes into skyscrapers, why bother listening to the negative messages that the sex pistols were promoting. We NEED people to care! Otherwise we're no better than the George Bushs of this world who are trying to kill this world once and for all.